snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 03 December 2016, 01:53 AM

Just wondering why we were focusing on the idea of Trump nuking Europe specifically.
Old 03 December 2016, 03:23 AM

TYSHTTP: No, I don't know what the narrator on the TV just said. I couldn't hear him because you were loudly asking what he was saying.
Old 03 December 2016, 07:45 PM

Your post about how you and only you will appreciate the man that all women before you were foolish enough to throw away and not love as he deserved....I know you're only hearing his side of the story, but I know some of the women who 'threw him away' and 'didn't love him as he deserved'. They didn't 'make a foolish mistake'. They had their reasons. He's not a bad man, but until you came along, he was lacking in the maturity and responsibility department. His friends, both male and female called him out on it. If anything, all those other women getting tired of waiting for him to grow up and his friends finally giving him a reality check that he was the common denominator in all his failed relationships is what pushed him to take a good long look at himself and grow up a little.

We're all happy for you, but he had a share in the responsibility for his previous failed relationships. He wasn't a victim.
Old 04 December 2016, 01:59 PM

If you beg me for help with your resume and it's a rush job and I spent hours on it the least you can do is acknowledge that I did this for you! If it's not what you want that's ok (but I heard from someone else that you submitted the altered resume pretty much as I did it) but begging for help, getting it and then not saying anything to me means I won't be rushing to help you anytime soon! Now if flowers are being delivered tomorrow I take this all back .
Old 05 December 2016, 05:23 PM

Glasses

Driving 10 mph below the speed limit, where the speed limit is possible and feasible, does not make you a safe driver.

Seaboe (there goes my vow not to post about traffic...)
Old 05 December 2016, 07:13 PM

If you swap out your FB profile pic with that of your identical twin, you do not get to pout that nobody could tell the difference unless:

1.) One of you is noticeably heavier/thinner than the other.

2.) One of you is sporting a dramatically different hairstyle/color.

3.) One of you has a noticeable tattoo that the other one doesn't.

4.) One of you is horribly scarred/burned and the other isn't.

Since none of these applied, then please don't be surprised that nobody realized it was a picture of your twin, and not you.
Old 06 December 2016, 02:13 PM

Glasses

Magdelene, that is especially true given the display size for most profile pictures.

Seaboe
Old 07 December 2016, 12:57 AM

I really doubt that you're going to succeed in getting your baby to be quite by shouting at it.
Old 07 December 2016, 03:48 AM

Icon05

I managed to bring up 1 adult, a teen and a pre-teen without beating them to death when they either bad-mouthed or disobeyed me...

My parents and my husband's parent's managed to do so as well..

So how are you so special that you survived to live through the whole " If I Spoke Like That..."crap..
Old 07 December 2016, 03:09 PM

If I ask you for suggestions for Christmas gifts telling me "Oh anything at all, I'm not fussy". Is not particularly helpful. Some Christmas I am going to take you up on that and give you "anything at all" and see just how not fussy you actually are!
Old 07 December 2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queen of the caramels View Post
I managed to bring up 1 adult, a teen and a pre-teen without beating them to death when they either bad-mouthed or disobeyed me...

My parents and my husband's parent's managed to do so as well..

So how are you so special that you survived to live through the whole " If I Spoke Like That..."crap..
If I had a dime for every pro-spanking meme on Facebook, I could go off SSD.

(Like if you survived the wooden spoon! When I misbehaved, I didn't have my XBox/phone taken away, I got my ass beat! I didn't need an Elf on the Shelf, I had the belt on the shelf!)
Old 08 December 2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
If I had a dime for every pro-spanking meme on Facebook, I could go off SSD.

(Like if you survived the wooden spoon! When I misbehaved, I didn't have my XBox/phone taken away, I got my ass beat! I didn't need an Elf on the Shelf, I had the belt on the shelf!)
A belt in the hand is worth two on the shelf!

Sorry, couldn't help it....
Old 08 December 2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
If I ask you for suggestions for Christmas gifts telling me "Oh anything at all, I'm not fussy". Is not particularly helpful. Some Christmas I am going to take you up on that and give you "anything at all" and see just how not fussy you actually are!
Ch-ch-ch-chia!

TYSHTTP: I don't care if you've had lunch in the dog park before with no problems; it's just not a good idea!
Old 09 December 2016, 12:45 AM

Mouse

Quote:
I commiserate. My mom is pretty much the same way. My brother emails a detailed, cross-indexed list. I can't judge him, because I'm pretty much the same way. My dad was just as bad for a while, but he's gotten better at keeping his Amazon wishlist updated. My mom on the other hand...I don't think she ever updates it.

Often with lists, I try to be a little creative, go a little off-list, but having one to begin with does help, because it gives me a general idea of stuff they're interested in it.
Old 09 December 2016, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Oh dear, oh dear.
One response to the person you are addressing:

"It appears that the exchange of presents has become too hard for everyone:
Too hard to use the imagination to think of what might please a relative or friend. Too hard to enjoy surprises when one was intent on receiving what one had ordered. And too hard to accept the occasional mistaken notion as being well intentioned.
What was once an exciting and charming custom has therefore deteriorated into the joyless, rote experience you describe -- and that Miss Manners has been protesting against for years. We have become a nation of beggars and their shoppers.
Far from spreading pleasure, this brings out the worst in most people -- increasingly blatant greed and the resentment that you encountered.
And from the good-hearted it brings on the inevitable solution of donating to charity instead.
This sounds like a noble solution -- who can object to giving to charity? -- but it should be recognized for what it is: the demise of the ancient custom of goodwill expressed through symbolism.
Substituting giving to charity is an adaptation of the "in lieu of flowers" directive associated with death. The idea was that rather than suffocate from an overload of flowers, the bereaved would be more comforted with support of research on the disease that caused the death, or with donations to the dead person's favorite charity.
But adopting this for Christmas and other present-exchanging occasions comes with its own problems. Not everyone agrees on what causes are worthy. Miss Manners often hears from targeted givers who angrily oppose supporting the charity named, as well as from expectant recipients who angrily oppose the charity that the donor substituted.
Miss Manners suspects that charities benefit less than is supposed when people declare they are honoring others but do not increase their donations above what they would have given their favorite charities anyway. They also receive the immediate benefit, the tax credit.
But at best this destroys the need to think about the needs and desires of people one loves. Which seems to be fine with your relatives.
You can go around this while apparently placating them by saying, "A book (or a CD or a DVD) you think I might enjoy."
"
- Judith Martin
Old 09 December 2016, 07:06 AM

Ambulance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
But at best this destroys the need to think about the needs and desires of people one loves. Which seems to be fine with your relatives.
You can go around this while apparently placating them by saying, "A book (or a CD or a DVD) you think I might enjoy." [/I]"
- Judith Martin

I want people to stop asking me what I want them to buy me for Christmas and my birthday, I need more time for myself and I have a small home which needs more space, not more things.

Ask me which charity and I'l tell you: Cure Alzheimer's Fund, Amazon Conservation Association and Lung Cancer Alliance for my two friends who are part of the 15% of non-smokers with lung cancer.
Old 09 December 2016, 11:38 AM

Jaded

LTTAM: weather people who tell you how to dress as they give the day's forecast. Honestly, how dumb do you think we are?
It's cold and blustery today--guess I can't wear my string bikini to work despite today being my casual day.
Old 09 December 2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
LTTAM: weather people who tell you how to dress as they give the day's forecast. Honestly, how dumb do you think we are?
It's cold and blustery today--guess I can't wear my string bikini to work despite today being my casual day.
Even worse when it's a weather person who can't tolerate the tiniest bit of cold and is telling you to wear your parka and scarf in October.
Old 09 December 2016, 01:49 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
I want people to stop asking me what I want ...

Ask me which charity and I'l tell you.
Well, then, when people ask you what you want, say "a donation to charity" and tell them the name of the charity.

My sister prefers consumable presents. I usually do her stocking (because officially, we no longer do presents), and I give her things like lip gloss, soap, socks & chocolate.

Seaboe
Old 09 December 2016, 01:55 PM

I pretty much have stopped gift giving to most people. I don't understand insisting on exchanging gifts when all it does is cause stress and usually leads to accumulation of stuff people don't want or need.