snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 21 March 2017, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
National Equirer goes after sales. I'd guess they find or expect pro Trump people to be better buyers of rumor and innuendo based stories
It's anecdotal, but I recall an interview not long ago with a guy who built a lucrative business on click-bait fake news stories during the past election cycle. He mentioned that they tried the same techniques with both sides, and could consistently get stories to propagate on the right through social media and websites, but he said that something aimed at the left would start getting reposted, and then someone would post a debunking and it would lose steam.

I don't think that means that as a group the left isn't susceptible to that sort of thing, but maybe the left has a critical mass of critical thinkers.

Here's the article: http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechc...in-the-suburbs

Here's the quote I was thinking of: "We've tried to do similar things to liberals. It just has never worked, it never takes off. You'll get debunked within the first two comments and then the whole thing just kind of fizzles out."

Last edited by erwins; 21 March 2017 at 04:44 AM.
Old 21 March 2017, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
I have the green background with the white flowers.

Is that spring? Is the website confused about the hemispheres or has it been corrected?
It changed sometime today. Apparently autumn gave winter a miss and went straight on into spring.
Old 21 March 2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
It changed sometime today. Apparently autumn gave winter a miss and went straight on into spring.
I blame global warming for that. Thanks Obama!
Old 21 March 2017, 12:07 PM

Yet the default icon is still a pumpkin. I say we leave it that way for tradition's sake.
Old 21 March 2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I live out way in the middle of nowhere and I keep trying to track down various services and businesses, but I am not having much luck. Anyone know any websites that can help. I've tried Google but it doesn't help much and the online yellow pages suck as much as the actual physical copy.
Mouse, what general sort of thing are you looking for?

I mean, if I were looking for somebody who can fix the sink, I'd try calling a hardware store; but they wouldn't necessarily be any help if I were looking for an editor. And, of course, if the problem is that you can't figure out who the hardware store is, that would make it hard to call them.

Have you got neighbors you can ask?

-- I now also have the green background with the white flowers. Though, considering what it looks like around here right now, thinking of the flowers as snowflakes might be more appropriate.
Old 21 March 2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
Yet the default icon is still a pumpkin. I say we leave it that way for tradition's sake.
It now defaults to a flower

Old 21 March 2017, 02:25 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Are there famous screenwriters?
Dalton Trumbo, unless you're too young to know who he was.

Seaboe
Old 21 March 2017, 05:39 PM

Read This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
So I was at the grocery store tonight and saw the National Enquirer at the checkout line. As usual they had some stupid pro-Trump anti-Clinton headline. My stupid question - why are they a mouthpiece for Trumpery? Don't they go after scandals wherever they can find them? Or are they, and have they always been, just another way the Republicans can appeal to the stupid that walks among us?
The Enquirer goes after whoever is in power as do the rest of the scandal sheets. I was in the store yesterday and saw that one tabloid (it may have been The Enquirer) had a special insert on the Congressional hearing regarding the Ruskies.

ETA: Is there any chance that the new MST3K will be available on something other than Netflix?

Last edited by DawnStorm; 21 March 2017 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Asked my own stupid question
Old 21 March 2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
The Enquirer goes after whoever is in power as do the rest of the scandal sheets. I was in the store yesterday and saw that one tabloid (it may have been The Enquirer) had a special insert on the Congressional hearing regarding the Ruskies.
If it was the Enquirer they were spinning that story to blame Clinton somehow! I did a little research and the NE endorsed Trump for President and had a field day publishing ludicrous stories about potential rivals like Ted Cruz. I don't buy it and am only going by the headlines but they don't seem the least bit interested in painting Trump in any but the most positive of lights. They are positively salivating at the prospect of tarnishing Obama, needless to say .
Old 21 March 2017, 07:01 PM

Shifty Eyes

I remember that story about Cruz! My WTF meter broke after seeing that codswallop.
The Globe had the funniest Obama headlines. Seems our former president was gay and had HIV-related pneumonia, but how could that be when Mrs. O caught him in flagrante delicto with Oprah Winfrey? And Obama really is a Muslim--check out this (out of context) photo of a younger Obama in traditional Arab clothing! Etc etc....I often wondered who was writing their material. The RNC comes to mind.
I don't remember what 'paper' I saw yesterday. They all look alike anyway. Screaming headlines, bad photos, overuse of exclamation points.
Old 21 March 2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Actually that sort of happened around here. We did not have much winter. In fact the most snow (they were calling for up to a foot but we got a whopping 2 inches then mixed and covered with sleet and rain- it was a frozen mess) was last week, March 14.

ETA: I remember the good ol' days when the Enquirer stories were about UFO lands in Oklahoma backyard, woman gives birth to alligator, that sort of thing.

Q: Did the NE always also have political stuff, and I just did not notice because I was a kid and did not really read it so much as saw it in the grocery store anyway?
Old 21 March 2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
I don't remember what 'paper' I saw yesterday. They all look alike anyway. Screaming headlines, bad photos, overuse of exclamation points.
Absolutely!!!!! My late father-in-law bought all those papers and the French versions as well (Allo Police - which was macabre and thankfully now, I think, out of print). He believed that if something was in print it had to be true. Sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
ETA: I remember the good ol' days when the Enquirer stories were about UFO lands in Oklahoma backyard, woman gives birth to alligator, that sort of thing.

Q: Did the NE always also have political stuff, and I just did not notice because I was a kid and did not really read it so much as saw it in the grocery store anyway?
I wondered the same thing. I know they always had celebrity "news" - most of it garbage some of it true because they paid for it! - but I didn't really ever notice the screaming political headlines until Obama was president. Doesn't mean they didn't do it of course, but it wasn't a constant thing, or at least I don't think it was. Now it seems like every issue I notice is baying for Hillary Clinton's blood and praising Trump.
Old 22 March 2017, 12:02 AM

I seem to remember JFK conspiracy theories and such, but not to the same degree and frequency as political stuff now.
Old 22 March 2017, 02:03 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Mouse, what general sort of thing are you looking for?

I mean, if I were looking for somebody who can fix the sink, I'd try calling a hardware store; but they wouldn't necessarily be any help if I were looking for an editor. And, of course, if the problem is that you can't figure out who the hardware store is, that would make it hard to call them.
I'm not sure actually, though much of it related to music and stuff like that. Like I want to find places where I can get music instruments and get them repaired.
Old 22 March 2017, 03:39 AM

If you know of a local bar where musicians play or if there are musicians at church you can ask where they go. In a big city or suburb, these items would be at a specialty store (a music store). If the local high school has band or orchestra, you could email the instrumental music teacher and ask for a lead. If your can find a music teacher in an online search, same thing.

If you need parts (strings, reeds, etc.), you can order items on line from the big A and also a chain called Music and Arts. They also sell instruments online but it sounds like you would prefer to check them out (as would I).
Old 22 March 2017, 02:06 PM

Glasses

Do g-you differentiate between trash and garbage? I use the terms interchangeably, myself.

This was triggered by a discussion on facebook concerning whether material was a synonym for fabric.

Seaboe
Old 22 March 2017, 02:59 PM

Does your local village have a store -- almost any sort of store -- that's been there for a long time, run by more or less the same people, people who also live locally?

If so: those people may know nearly everybody in just about any kind of business in the area. In one of my local villages, if I'm asked a question of the sort I can't answer, I send the questioner to a particular bookstore. In another, until a few years ago it was the grocery, which has unfortunately been sold; there, I think I'd refer to the library.

ETA: Seaboe, I currently differentiate between landfill, recycle, and compost. Not that that helps much with a trash-or-garbage comparison.
Old 22 March 2017, 03:11 PM

More or less interchangeably, except for where it is. "Take out the trash" means to take what is in the bins inside the house to the large bin by the side of the house. "Take out the garbage" means to wheel the large bin to the street for weekly collection.

In sewing, material could include things like ribbon, lace, fur (faux or real), leather, etc. Fabric would be limited to woven or knitted cloth.

ETA: When people used them to mean different things, trash seems to be stuff like paper whereas garbage is stuff like vegetable peelings or spoiled food.
Old 22 March 2017, 03:23 PM

Public school students learning to play an instrument often rent from a local music store. Someone at the school might be able to direct you.
Old 22 March 2017, 04:35 PM

Read This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Now it seems like every issue I notice is baying for Hillary Clinton's blood and praising Trump.
So I guess you never read the Weekly World News. If you had, you would have known that Hillary had a torrid affair with a bald alien named P'lod.

I do remember the National Enquirer breaking the Bill Clinton/Gennifer Flowers affair, and everyone saying: a grocery store tabloid broke what?!
Closed Thread