snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 16 March 2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Is there a website where it can check recipes and tell you if there is something wrong with the recipe itself? Because I have tried this one recipe twice and it has yet to work. I was hoping there was a way of finding out if the problem is me or if the recipe asks for too much of Ingredient X or something.
I often see questions like that on the Chowhound forum in the Home Cooking section.
Old 16 March 2017, 02:19 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
I watch shows when they originally air because I have neither the internet nor cable/satellite TV.
See, when I was in that situation, I didn't watch TV at all. I watched videos, and DVDs once those became available.

Seaboe
Old 16 March 2017, 07:18 PM

Mouse, I think if you can describe the particular problem you are having with the recipe, you should be able to find some assistance. As an example, I had the hardest time with biscuits from scratch for a while and I would just google the results; 'biscuits come out like charred hockey pucks'.
Old 17 March 2017, 11:21 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
See, when I was in that situation, I didn't watch TV at all. I watched videos, and DVDs once those became available.

Seaboe
But, but my shows! I need my shows! Plus I like to talk about them online. Plus they still haven't released Galavant on DVD. How would I know about it if I hadn't watched it on bunny ears (and digital converter box) TV?
Old 17 March 2017, 01:39 PM

Another food question:

What is the difference between meatloaf and Salisbury steak?

I understand that meatloaf is often served in tomato sauce, and that it's served as a slice of a loaf (while Salisbury steak is served as a beef patty), but I'm wondering about any difference in the meat itself.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 17 March 2017, 01:45 PM

Is Salisbury steak always made with ground meat?

ETA: Most meatloaf recipes have a filler, IME, usually bread crumbs, and I think some include egg, too.
Old 17 March 2017, 02:09 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
How would I know about it if I hadn't watched it on bunny ears (and digital converter box) TV?

What's weird about this (to me, anyway) is that I somehow end up knowing a lot about shows I never saw (Seinfeld, Friends, Moonlighting, etc.). Part of it is friends talking about them, part of it is being interested in light-hearted silly gossip.

I still watch very few shows but know about a lot. Nowadays, of course, the internet makes the latter part easy.

Seaboe
Old 17 March 2017, 03:46 PM

Although Salisbury steak can be made with filler, I think meatloaf generally has more filler. At least in my world, Salisbury steak is always survey in brown gravy whereas meatloaf never is.
Old 17 March 2017, 03:55 PM

I looked at several recipes for Salsbury steak online and they all used egg and breadcrumbs. And most of the time I make or am served meatloaf, it is in brown gravy, not ketchup.

I think the difference is how the meat is shaped. If it looks like a loaf of bread, it is meatloaf. If it looks like a steak, it is Salsbury steak.
Old 17 March 2017, 04:17 PM

Thanks for all the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I looked at several recipes for Salsbury steak online and they all used egg and breadcrumbs. And most of the time I make or am served meatloaf, it is in brown gravy, not ketchup.

I think the difference is how the meat is shaped. If it looks like a loaf of bread, it is meatloaf. If it looks like a steak, it is Salsbury steak.
I think that's key, how they're served (in loaf form or like a patty or steak, and the kind of sauce). Some of the discussion I looked at on the Internet suggests that meatloaf has egg/bread crumbs, or more egg/bread crumbs, but that doesn't seem consistent.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 17 March 2017, 04:43 PM

Icon05 What is the scam?

I'm trying to figure out if and what the scam is in this situation. It's long, involving a stolen/misappropriated credit card number and a mysterious package.

Backstory:
My wife saw a charge on a credit card for $172 from a company that we had never heard of or done business with, which I will identify as CS. CS is an online company that one can use to self publish, sell, or purchase books and CD's. It is a space where one can create. She called the CC company, they said it is a fraudulent charge and took the charge off, cancelled the card and issued a new one. Fine, it happens.

Yesterday, a box comes in the mail with 2 copies of a music CD sent by CS. We poked around online and in other venues they cost a few dollars, so 2 is no where near $172. To even see it in the CS store, one needs an account which we do not have and will not setup. She called the CC company and they said to do nothing with the CD's, no need to return them. We have not called CS.

Concern: Will packages keep arriving, with $172 worth of merchandise, that CS will then come after us for? Way back when I learned (in elementary school!) that if something comes in the mail unsolicited, you can do whatever you want with it and owe nothing. In the internet and online ordering age, I wonder if it is different, because they can say there is an online order?

Apparent facts: CS is a real company. This music is also real (did not open CD's but found it online). We are 99.99% certain it was not a mistake on our part, because this card would not be on one-click purchasing from the big A company, etc.

Question 1: What would you do about the CD's?
1. Nothing now. If CS comes looking for their money, offer to send them back. CC company will back us up if it comes to that. If more CD's keep coming, we can always contact CS then.
2. Call CS now (we found a phone number online I think.) The packing slip says to logon to your account which we do not have.

Question 2: Assuming there is a scam/stolen CC number, who is the scammer and what is the angle?

1. CC number thief. Angle is to make a small purchase to see if the CC number is real. But that would not explain the $172 charge for what appears to be $10-$15 worth of merchandise. and if the goal was a small purchase to see if it works, they did an amount too large to go unnoticed. (Wife would have noticed a 72 cent charge, but I think in general the thieves count on most people not.)

2. CC number thief. Angle was that they bought $172 in merchandise and had a small part sent to us to make it look legit and the rest sent to them. Basically used our card to steal $160 in stuff. But this is a very odd purchase to do that with.

3. CS. Angle is that they slam customers, signed us up for an account unauthorized and had us "buy" stuff. But they seem to be legit enough and would quickly get caught, no?

4. The musician. He put in an order with a stolen CC so he would get the royalties or the other 30 copies of his CD to sell at shows. But that is just stupid, because I would think that CS would hold back the royalties for a time period to be sure there is no return, payment stop, etc. Also does not explain the $172 charge for 2 music CD's.

I think it has to be whoever sole/acquired the CC number but I cannot see what their goal is with this purchase. Option 2 is the only feasible one to me.

Bonus question: Has anyone gone to this space to create (or sell or buy)? Anyone even heard of it?

Last edited by Dr. Dave; 17 March 2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 17 March 2017, 05:15 PM

Does your wife have multiple personalities, one of which likes different music than the rest?

For Question 1, I would say do nothing. There is no reason to deal with the company, as they should see that the fraudulent charges were removed and you were not responsible for the "purchase".

For #2...I think Guess 2 is the best bet. They sent some to you, some to themselves.
Old 17 March 2017, 05:18 PM

I do not think so.

Thanks for the input!
Old 17 March 2017, 05:56 PM

For Question 1, I'd go with Answer 2. It sets you up in the best position legally if CS disputes the chargeback by pointing out that you received goods from them.

For Question 2, I'd also go with Answer 2. Some companies will only ship to the billing address for the credit card (at least for initial orders). Splitting a shipment to you and the thief could be a way to buy stuff and get around that restriction.
Old 17 March 2017, 07:44 PM

Glasses

#1, IIRC, there is no obligation to pay for merchandise sent to you that you did not order. I believe there's even a law about it (something to do with mail fraud).

#2, I go with your option #2. It may seem a strange scam to you, but it can rack up real profits real fast, and if any of the recipients do pay the charge and then try to get their money back, CS has the argument that they received value and it wasn't a fraud.

Seaboe
Old 17 March 2017, 07:47 PM

Thanks for the advice. It makes sense. Not sure what we will do, but that is good advice. CS seems legit, and they sell through the big A company. (ETA to Seaboe- That is my recollection also (not a lawyer or paralegal), but in the age of internet ordering, they will have an "order" from her I suppose. Maybe we should call and find out how they ordered- what account was used. We do not have a CS account.)

For Q2, I think I am just fascinated by scams, how they work and what the motivation is. It's like there is no way I would or could pull one off, so I am fascinated by the details.

So I found the item we received in the CS e-store. The list price is $80! Believe me, this is not a long-lost Beatles or even a bootlegged Taylor Swift or a box-set Spice Girls. Not an $80 item.

My presumption that the music is real may have been mistaken. Last night I googled and found something to listen to and it was odd but did "exist" in the sense that there it was.

So at list price, two CD's could cost $172 with tax and shipping. That sort of eliminates option 2 in Q2 (was also my guess), so maybe the person getting royalties* for this outrageously priced item is the scammer? Wouldn't CS just pull the royalty back when after the charge-back? Maybe the plan was to get enough people who do not dispute it in time or at all, and then the artist makes a run for it before CS pulls the money back?

I looked and CS pays out at the end of the following month, so for this unauthorized sale in March, the artist would not get paid until the end of April.

*IIUC on a quick look, the pricing/royalty deal would send $17 to CS and $63 to the artist for each CD.
Old 17 March 2017, 08:00 PM

Dr. Dave, is there anyone else in your household that might have ordered it?
Old 18 March 2017, 04:28 AM

No. My son has been known to click on things while playing around, but this would have required too many steps, and this CC was not "on file" with any online retailers, we don't have one-click shoping setup, etc.

I'm leaning toward #4 for Q2. $80 a CD is itself a setup for a scam.
Old 19 March 2017, 06:08 PM

If someone you only know through a FB group you both belong to has offered to send you some books (completely out of the blue they sent me a PM and said they were mine for free if I was interested) anyway how long should I wait before reminding them of their kind offer? I don't want to seem pushy and if they've changed their minds that's fine but it's a little annoying that they kept sending me messages about this and then after I thought all was agreed upon nada, zip, nothing. Do some people just get their jollies doing stuff like this or should I assume maybe they've got a life and other stuff has come up for them ?
Old 19 March 2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
So I found the item we received in the CS e-store. The list price is $80! Believe me, this is not a long-lost Beatles or even a bootlegged Taylor Swift or a box-set Spice Girls. Not an $80 item.

My presumption that the music is real may have been mistaken. Last night I googled and found something to listen to and it was odd but did "exist" in the sense that there it was.

So at list price, two CD's could cost $172 with tax and shipping. That sort of eliminates option 2 in Q2 (was also my guess), so maybe the person getting royalties* for this outrageously priced item is the scammer? Wouldn't CS just pull the royalty back when after the charge-back? Maybe the plan was to get enough people who do not dispute it in time or at all, and then the artist makes a run for it before CS pulls the money back?

I looked and CS pays out at the end of the following month, so for this unauthorized sale in March, the artist would not get paid until the end of April.

*IIUC on a quick look, the pricing/royalty deal would send $17 to CS and $63 to the artist for each CD.
I guess it's possible that this is all part of a phishing/laundering scam. If they got hold of the CC info of a whole bunch of people and charged all of them for bogus overpriced CDs and if most of the victims didn't notice the extra charge until the end of the month then the 'royalty fees' would get paid out to them. I have no idea how the CD printing/ordering company works but I assume there'd be some way for the pirates to set up fake accounts and register fake CDs, especially if they'd already stolen people's IDs.

Perhaps google it a bit more with the words 'scam' and 'phishing' included in the search terms to see if other people have had similar experiences and have been talking about it on anti-scam forums?
Closed Thread