snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 12 March 2017, 06:56 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
I don't wear women's shoes, so that's not part of the issue. And the variation could be explained by shoe shape only if US and EU sizes are measured differently in a way that would mean the EU measurements don't vary in the same way as the US ones, because 41 is consistently correct..
The U.S. has not standardized shoe sizes. When I worked at Eastbay everyone knew, for example, that Nike was notorious for running a half-size smaller than other shoe companies. Which has led to some epic meltdowns I got to listen to when stores called to place orders for customers ."I have never been a seven in my life! Don't tell me to order a seven! I wear 6 1/2!!!"
Old 13 March 2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Stupid question because obviously people are watching but even so -- Does anyone here or anyone you know actually watch Big Brother or Survivor anymore? I can remember, especially for Survivor, when this was must see TV for a lot of people and it was water cooler conversation and you saw lots of places do Survivor challenges and the like. Now it seems the only time I even hear about either of this shows is when the stations airing them are promoting them.
Mr. S and I still watch (have seen every season) of Survivor. No water cooler conversations like in the early seasons, but then our staff has changed so much since then that I don't really have anyone to talk TV with anymore. My sister's family also watches. The big difference is that in the first couple of seasons, we would actually call each other during the commercials (OMG, can you believe he did that!!!). Now we have to confirm with each other that we've watched before texting comments. Usually can't discuss until the weekend.

For the latest premiere this past week, the forums on Previously.tv have 8 pages of discussion, so someone is still watching.

I have never watched Big Brother.

ETA: I would think that the morning after water cooler conversation about TV has changed a lot. Does anyone watch shows when they originally air anymore? Outside of my parents, I don't know anyone who does.
Old 13 March 2017, 02:03 PM

It's not unusual for people to binge-watch a season on Netflix or whatever during the first day or weekend it's available. That may generate some water-cooler talk, assuming there's someone else at your workplace who 1) watches that series and 2) did the same thing. But yeah, fractionalization of the audience has changed that.
Old 13 March 2017, 03:12 PM

TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooeygun View Post

ETA: I would think that the morning after water cooler conversation about TV has changed a lot. Does anyone watch shows when they originally air anymore? Outside of my parents, I don't know anyone who does.
That's a good point. The only "prime time" show I watch with any degree of regularity is Big Bang Theory. It's not like there aren't good shows out there and there are certainly some shows I had every intention of watching (Designated Survivor as one instance) but somehow I just never make the time or even remember for that matter when these shows are on let alone which channel! There are shows that air that I do make a point of watching but these are mainly documentaries or movies or in the case of PBS and TVO (Ontario public television channel) these are mainly series from the UK that I enjoy.
Old 13 March 2017, 03:43 PM

Not sure if this is a stupid question so much as it is one that I may not want the answer to:

When slavery was legal, what did most slave owners do with slaves that were too old or otherwise unable to work?
Old 13 March 2017, 07:36 PM

I would guess that it varied greatly from one owner to the next. I would also think that the life span of a slave was not so long that it was a big problem among slave holders.
Old 13 March 2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
I would also think that the life span of a slave was not so long that it was a big problem among slave holders.
Yeah, particularly those doing hard physical labor. It doubt it came up for the majority. Some big plantations had a heirarchy with slaves supervising other slaves (with white guys with guns at a higher level of the heirarchy), so that would be a likely job for a middle aged slave in some cases. Some might just keep being worked to death beyond their declining abilities. Some might be left to fend for themselves and die of starvation or exposure. Some they might be able to find less strenuous work for. Some they might keep around and let them not work.

Those doing indoor tasks were more likely to be able to keep doing it until nearly the end, and I would imagine at that point they'd be more likely to have the other slaves care for them until the end than for the field workers.
Old 14 March 2017, 01:25 AM

It ran the whole spectrum from a tiny fraction who were cared for or set free with some of their earnings to the much more common practice of abandoning them in the woods to die, basically putting them in a hut in the middle of nowhere to wait to die. Frederick Douglass mentions one such case in his autobiography.
Quote:
If any one thing in my experience, more than another, served to deepen my conviction of the infernal character of slavery, and to fill me with unutterable loathing of slaveholders, it was their base ingratitude to my poor old grandmother. She had served my old master faithfully from youth to old age. She had been the source of all his wealth; she had peopled his plantation with slaves; she had become a great grandmother in his service. She had rocked him in infancy, attended him in childhood, served him through life, and at his death wiped from his icy brow the cold death-sweat, and closed his eyes forever. She was nevertheless left a slave — a slave for life — a slave in the hands of strangers; and in their hands she saw her children, her grandchildren, and her great-grandchildren, divided, like so many sheep, without being gratified with the small privilege of a single word, as to their or her own destiny. And, to cap the climax of their base ingratitude and fiendish barbarity, my grandmother, who was now very old, having outlived my old master and all his children, having seen the beginning and end of all of them, and her present owners finding she was of but little value, her frame already racked with the pains of old age, and complete helplessness fast stealing over her once active limbs, they took her to the woods, built her a little hut, put up a little mud-chimney, and then made her welcome to the privilege of supporting herself there in perfect loneliness; thus virtually turning her out to die! [...]
Leslie H. Owens, in This Species Of Property: Slave life and culture in the Old South (1976) describes in more detail this practice and others, including the less common one of simply mistreating slaves util they died, murdering them by starvation or by constant beatings. Excuse me while I break down. (The next person who tells me slaves were treated relatively well is risking a sock in the face.) #blackhistorymonthallyear
Old 14 March 2017, 02:15 PM

I believe we may have discussed this before, but why is going au-natural beneath a single layer of clothing called "going commando"?

Seaboe
Old 14 March 2017, 05:49 PM

Don't know if this is an after-the-fact explanation, but I heard that it was because "you were going in without support."
Old 14 March 2017, 07:10 PM

The office building I work in is two stories. There is a freight elevator with a sign on it that says "this is not a passenger elevator", but as far as I can tell the building has no actual passenger elevator. I even looked at the building floor plan in case it was in a part of the building I was unfamiliar with. Is this compliant with the ADA? Does having the freight elevator count as far as ADA compliance is concerned?
Old 14 March 2017, 07:37 PM

When was the building built?
Old 14 March 2017, 07:40 PM

Not sure. It's definitely not new but it's reasonably modern. If I had to guess I'd say it dates from no earlier than the 1980s.
Old 14 March 2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Not sure. It's definitely not new but it's reasonably modern. If I had to guess I'd say it dates from no earlier than the 1980s.
ADA only was only made effective as of 1992 even though it was signed in 1990.
Quote:
The final version of the bill was signed into law on July 26, 1990
There were buildings in my college (started in 1988) which did not have elevators, even though they had classes. The one building had a ramp for wheelchairs which had too much of a slope for wheelchairs.

It's been changed since then.
Old 14 March 2017, 08:41 PM

From my reading of the elevator exemption (page 20) in this California ADA document (pdf), a building of 2 stories does not need an elevator unless it is a doctor's office, shopping mall, or transportation hub.

Quote:
(2) This section does not require the installation of an elevator in a facility that is less than three stories or has less than 3000 square feet per story, except with respect to any facility that houses one or more of the following:
(i) A shopping center or shopping mall, or a professional office of a health care provider.
(ii) A terminal, depot, or other station used for specified public transportation, or an airport passenger terminal. In such a facility, any area housing passenger services, including boarding and debarking, loading and unloading, baggage claim, dining facilities, and other common areas
Old 15 March 2017, 10:12 PM

TV

Stupid TV related question that honestly never occurred to me when I watched this show years ago - in Happy Days how old is Fonzie supposed to be when the show starts? Just caught an episode from the first year where he goes back to high school so I am assuming he can't be that much older than Richie and the gang but for some reason I had always assumed he was mid-20s but now that I watch the show I think he couldn't have been that old at the start considering he was dating high school girls and no one seemed bothered by it. Funny the stuff that goes right over your head when you're watching something when you're 14
Old 15 March 2017, 10:32 PM

IIRC, he is a high school dropout, approximately the same age as Richie and his friends.
Old 16 March 2017, 12:45 AM

Mouse

Is there a website where it can check recipes and tell you if there is something wrong with the recipe itself? Because I have tried this one recipe twice and it has yet to work. I was hoping there was a way of finding out if the problem is me or if the recipe asks for too much of Ingredient X or something.
Old 16 March 2017, 12:58 AM

Mouse- I don't know of such a website, but I'm terribly curious to hear what the recipe is!

It sounds a bit like the phenomenon I described in this thread.
Old 16 March 2017, 10:25 AM

Whalephant

I watch shows when they originally air because I have neither the internet nor cable/satellite TV.
Closed Thread