snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 07 October 2016, 10:57 AM

Data used the same strategy in an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation. He was good, and very fast, at some game or other, then a true master of the game showed up and Data couldn't beat him. But then Data used the "just trying not to lose" strategy (actually, "just block the other guy's efforts", to be more precise) and ended up winning.

Others can probably show where I am wrong in that summary, but I'm pretty sure it falls within your general criteria, Mouse, and perhaps a usable quote, maybe.

Here's a YouTube clip of the crucial moment, if you're interested.
Old 07 October 2016, 01:10 PM

Icon19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
sometimes derived from their name, sometimes from a personal feature (is there a sign for "Trump" in ASL?).

Yes--what is the sign for huge hands?
Old 07 October 2016, 01:35 PM

Actually I was thinking the sign for trump would be made with a single finger. Or is that the sign to make toward him?
Old 07 October 2016, 02:26 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Actually I was thinking the sign for trump would be made with a single finger. Or is that the sign to make toward him?
If you combine it with the sign for head it would be about him. Alone, it's the sign you make toward him.

Seaboe
Old 07 October 2016, 08:57 PM

Many years ago, a friend and I decided that Pete Rose' name-sign should be "gambling" (picture a hand moving away to roll dice) initialized with "P."
Old 07 October 2016, 09:00 PM

On the subject of sign language, because we've been watching the local Jacksonville news channel and a few news conferences with someone signing along side the briefer.

How close would the transcript of the signer's work match the words spoken by the briefer?

I get that the gist should parallel, but it just doesn't seem to be enough hand activity to match word for word, is it?
Old 07 October 2016, 10:35 PM

If they are using ASL, the signer's work won't match a number of the words spoken as ASL is a, for lack of a better word, simplified language. It doesn't have articles, the verb to be, and most (all?) verbs have only one form for all subjects, there is no conjugation. For example, the sentence "Yesterday, I was going to the store." could be signed as "Yesterday I go store."
Old 10 October 2016, 05:04 PM

Do any of those little handheld sewing machines really work? I'm looking for something to do quick little stitch work for costumes and wondering if any of the little ones are reasonable or if I should just give in and get a regular sewing machine.
Old 10 October 2016, 06:23 PM

Glasses

Send Tootsie a PM, Keket. I'm pretty sure she knows something about the little very portable machines. This is a pretty busy time of the year for her, and she may not see your post. Even better, if you know her on Facebook, ask her there.

Seaboe
Old 12 October 2016, 02:15 AM

I just read an article from Breitbart where they claim Melania Trump was trolling the Clinton camp by wearing that so-called "pussy bow blouse" to the debate. I guess I'm clueless about what trolling means in this context because I'm not getting how that could be interpreted as a way of trying to get at Clinton.
Old 12 October 2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
If they are using ASL, the signer's work won't match a number of the words spoken as ASL is a, for lack of a better word, simplified language. It doesn't have articles, the verb to be, and most (all?) verbs have only one form for all subjects, there is no conjugation. For example, the sentence "Yesterday, I was going to the store." could be signed as "Yesterday I go store."
Interesting.

Keket--several years ago I made a Dobe #2 a coat using one of those hand held machines. It worked great--the main thing I had to be aware of was adjusting the stitch type. It could either be large and rather loose stitches or small and tight stitches. I guess the stitch size depends on the fabric you're sewing.
Old 12 October 2016, 01:37 PM

Do the people who bag groceries get paid or are they volunteers?
Old 12 October 2016, 01:45 PM

They get paid. ETA: And IME, they have duties beyond bagging -- collecting carts from the lot, putting unwanted items back on the shelf, cleaning up spills, maybe cleaning the restrooms or break room. My brother worked for a grocery store for years, and in addition to all of the above, he checked in deliveries and was responsible for keeping the storeroom in order, getting boxes flattened and baled for recycling, etc.
Old 12 October 2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil'sGirl View Post
They are employees of the store, so yes they are paid. As Lainie said, they also do a variety of other tasks.
Old 12 October 2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I just read an article from Breitbart where they claim Melania Trump was trolling the Clinton camp by wearing that so-called "pussy bow blouse" to the debate. I guess I'm clueless about what trolling means in this context because I'm not getting how that could be interpreted as a way of trying to get at Clinton.
I've seen it being called trolling Trump himself. As if he would know it's called a pussy bow.

For that matter, does Clinton even know it's called that. I was only vaguely aware of the term (i.e. when someone showed a picture and called it a pussy bow, I thought, I've heard of that...not that I would have pulled the term from my brain without a reminder).

So I really don't know how it's trolling anyone.
Old 12 October 2016, 05:38 PM

From my understanding, the troll wasn't supposed to be the type of blouse, but that is was part of a pants suit.
You know, like Hillary always wears.
The other faction was saying that by wearing a pants suit, she was actually showing her support for Hillary.
Old 12 October 2016, 06:04 PM

Interesting. May I ask where you saw/read that? I ask because your post is the first mention I've heard of their being a pantsuit involved, and the "pussy bow" stuff was all over Facebook.
Old 13 October 2016, 12:50 AM

Mouse

Yeah, until I went on Facebook and everyone was talking about it, I hadn't heard of the term "pussy bow" either.
Old 13 October 2016, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil'sGirl View Post
I bagged groceries one summer when I was in college, and yeah, we got paid just a bit more than minimum wage. And like Lainie said, we also had to clean the bathrooms, empty the trash, collect carts, vacuum the carpeted areas of the store (I'm not sure who thought it was a good idea to put carpet in the produce section), and other duties.

However, in his younger days my dad briefly worked at a store where the bag boys were paid only in tips. I'm not sure that would be legal now. It's certainly the polar opposite of the store I worked at, where we were not supposed to accept tips.
Old 13 October 2016, 01:11 AM

before anyone asks, Pussy Bow Pants Suit would not make a good name for a band. No.
Closed Thread