snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 02 October 2016, 08:40 AM

I have an existing US driver's license (Texas) and a US Social Security Number, but I am not a resident of the US. My current driver's license is expiring. Is there any state that I can get a license in? I seem to fall between the cracks - many states offer driver's licenses to those without a SSN, but only if they can prove residency. I have an SSN, but can't prove residency.
Old 02 October 2016, 03:49 PM

Are you sure you can't renew your Texas drivers license by mail or over the internet? The license is good for 5 years and you are allowed to renew once without having to appear in person.
Old 02 October 2016, 03:55 PM

I'm confused. You say you have a SSN, but then you mention states that will issue a license without one.
Old 02 October 2016, 04:36 PM

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool View Post
I have an existing US driver's license (Texas) and a US Social Security Number, but I am not a resident of the US. My current driver's license is expiring. Is there any state that I can get a license in? I seem to fall between the cracks - many states offer driver's licenses to those without a SSN, but only if they can prove residency. I have an SSN, but can't prove residency.
I have a coworker who keeps a mailing address (his mother) partially for this purpose. I believe he still has a valid stateside driver's license, despite living outside the states for decades.

Most states require residency for a driver's license, and they also require new residents to obtain a driver's license which is valid in that state. Typically within a few months.

What's the benefit of keeping it? I suppose you're not military, because there's special rules for those. He also finds it's useful for his stateside bank accounts.

I traded in my NJ license for a Swiss one years ago, and I can use the Swiss one to drive in the U.S. If and when I return to the U.S., I will probably have to do some sort of test. I think in NJ it's just written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Are you sure you can't renew your Texas drivers license by mail or over the internet? The license is good for 5 years and you are allowed to renew once without having to appear in person.
Most states only mail to the address on the license itself.

Last edited by Die Capacitrix; 02 October 2016 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Added comment to Richard.
Old 02 October 2016, 05:12 PM

Background info - I used to live in the US, on a work visa. Texas drivers licenses expire when work visas expire, and in that situation, they can't be renewed online, and in person they can only be renewed with documentation of immigration status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I'm confused. You say you have a SSN, but then you mention states that will issue a license without one.
Many states will issue a DL to undocumented aliens (eg California), but only if they DONT have an SSN, and applicants need to prove residency by having bills/mail in their name. I have an SSN, so I can't pretend to not have an SSL even if I have a mailing address in the US that I could document 'residency' with.

Last edited by zerocool; 02 October 2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02 October 2016, 05:33 PM

Gotcha. Good luck, I hope you figure out a way to do it.
Old 05 October 2016, 06:41 PM

Is there a way to share a Facebook photo album with members of a group, some of whom are on my friends list and some of whom are not, without making the album fully public?
Old 05 October 2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I find myself wondering, of our three alcoholic presidents, Pierce, Buchanan, and Grant, who would come win in a drinking contest?
Of those three, Buchanan was known to show little sign of inebriation according to this site, so he'd probably be the odds-on favorite. But you left out Martin Van Buren in your list of heavy-drinking Presidents and he is also known to be able to handle large quantities of alcohol.
Old 05 October 2016, 10:56 PM

In Unhijackable, Richard W said:

Quote:
Actually, it is already on an island, even if it's not considered one. If you follow the channel north far enough, it joins a bigger channel with an outlet to the sea, and there's another outlet to the sea at the south end of the town...
That made me wonder what is technically considered an island. Would a man made waterway cutting across peninsula turn it into an island? Like if hypothetically we were to dig a canal from Jacksonville to somewhere in the Gulf of Mexico southeast of Tallahassee would that technically turn Florida into an island? Or to count as an island does the surrounding water have to be all the same body of water?
Old 06 October 2016, 12:32 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Of those three, Buchanan was known to show little sign of inebriation according to this site, so he'd probably be the odds-on favorite. But you left out Martin Van Buren in your list of heavy-drinking Presidents and he is also known to be able to handle large quantities of alcohol.
Yea! Someone else responded to my weird question. Didn't know that about Martin Van Buren. Knew he was an elitist a-hole who spent a ton of money renovating the White House during a major economic depression, wore a corset, and that his critics called him Martin Van Ruin because he was so terrible.

Yes, that's the kind of history that interests me, knowing whether I'd win in a fight with presidents or which presidents would win a drinking contest.

Though I was kind of depressed that the only presidents I could safely take in a fight, are the ones widely considered the worst. And before anyone brings up FDR, I've accepted no matter which way the fight goes, I'm not going to come out looking good. If I win, I beat up a polio-stricken man in a wheelchair. If FDR wins, I got my ass handed to me by a polio-stricken man in a wheelchair. I suppose you could say something similar about Woodrow Wilson, but at least, he was really frothing racist, so I can beat on him with less guilt. Whereas FDR was one of the best presidents we had.

And given what I've heard about James Buchanan, how he'd been known to drink two or three bottles of wine, top it off with some whiskey, and still maintain his composure, that does seem to suggest that he's the odds-on favorite in a drinking contest.

But Buchanan was known for three things. One, is being the first and so far, the only bachelor president, but the other two are, putting away an incredibly impressive amount of alcohol and being a total wuss who'd back down whenever someone challenged him.

The Civil War began under Lincoln, but Secession began under Buchanan and he did nothing to stop it, except whine ineffectually. Well, to be more specific, his argument to the Southern states was more along the lines of, "Yeah, it's unconstitutional for you to secede from the Union, but it would be unconstitutional for me to try to stop you, so could you not secede, even though you will face no consequences from me if you do." Yeah, needless to say that argument didn't work. There were people who actually called the Civil War, Buchanan's War, because he did nothing to prevent it. So I wonder if his trademark wussiness would keep him from triumphing in the one area he was good at: drinking.

And for the record, I've heard about the rumors regarding his sexuality, how many believe Buchanan was Gay. Given that even the people of his time were making cracks about the closeness of his friendship with William Rufus King, I'm inclined to believe that there might be something to all these rumors. Even though, nothing short of inventing time travel will ever be able to confirm it one hundred percent. Though regardless of his sexuality, there's plenty of proof that confirms Buchanan's terribleness as a president, so let's focus on that.
Old 06 October 2016, 01:57 AM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
...That made me wonder what is technically considered an island. Would a man made waterway cutting across peninsula turn it into an island? Like if hypothetically we were to dig a canal from Jacksonville to somewhere in the Gulf of Mexico southeast of Tallahassee would that technically turn Florida into an island? Or to count as an island does the surrounding water have to be all the same body of water?
In general, I think an island usually refers to a land mass naturally surrounded by water. Canals and such don't an island make. Otherwise a sizable chunk of the east coast would be a series of islands due to the inland waterway. A big part of Michigan too. The St Lawrence Seaway and the Erie Canal would have created a big island. That's just off the top of my head.
Old 06 October 2016, 05:21 AM

Jutland, the mainland part of Denmark, is still considered a peninsula, even though it was "cut of" the European mainland with the building of the Kiel Canal in 1895.
Old 06 October 2016, 01:57 PM

Shout

How do you say "President Obama" or President Anybody in American Sign Language? I'm pretty sure there is a general motion for 'president', but how does one know which president g-you're talking about? Come to think of it, how are surnames handled in ASL in general? Also, does every country have its one sign language? I've heard of British Sign Language, but is there, say, Chinese Sign Language, Russian Sign Language, German Sign Language, etc?
Old 06 October 2016, 03:48 PM

IANSLE, but names are generally spelled out letter by letter. AIUI, people who use sign language a lot will use initials for each other, sometimes mixed with a sign that matches that person. For example, a member of my honor society who was hearing learned sign language to better help her patients. Her nickname was the signs for H and R (her initials) with the H done with the "speaks" sign and the r done with the "deaf" sign because she spoke to the deaf.

ETA: To answer the original question, the commonly accepted ASL sign for Obama is a sign for the American Flag behind the sign for "O".
FETA: There is not even one sign language for the US. In additiion to ASL there is Manually Coded English. MCE tries to match American grammer rules whereas ASL has its own rules, generally simplifications.

Last edited by GenYus234; 06 October 2016 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06 October 2016, 04:17 PM

To answer the second question, there are many sign languages. Not every country has one of its own, though.

Two countries with the same spoken language often have different sign languages, as you gave the example of ASL and BSL, and even communities in countries with the different spoken languages use the same sign language.
Old 06 October 2016, 07:00 PM

Glasses

I was just reading this morning about Auslan, which is apparently a name for Australian Sign Language.

Seaboe
Old 06 October 2016, 08:22 PM

Australia

No way, who'd hold our pie and stubby as we communicated? (that we wanted another pie and stubby.)
Old 07 October 2016, 04:06 AM

Mouse

I've got another question. Don't worry; it's not about fighting presidents or which ones would win a drinking contest. It's about something sillier.

I am at work on a sequel to an as of yet, unpublished novel. I know people say you shouldn't start on a sequel until you've sold the first one, but after I finished the first one, I just felt like writing a sequel, just for my own benefit. Still haven't figured what I'll do with either book, but I'm enjoying it.

Anyway, in Sequel, I thought about referencing a bit from Xiaolin Showdown, where the wise master does a lesson, summing up the moral as "Your goal was to win. Mine was simply not to lose."

I used Google, hoping desperately to find out if there was some kind of fable or something that bit originally came from, something besides a kids' cartoon from whatever you call the first decade of the new millennium, but I couldn't. Hence why I'm here, hoping someone has better Google-Fu than me.

Or maybe I should just cloister myself for a while and cry, because I can remember a line from a cartoon I haven't seen in over a decade, yet despite studying Algebra in Middle School, High School, and College, I still can't break down in hysterical tears when faced with any mathematics beyond the basics. Especially if the problem has letters in it. Letters belong to words, dammit, not freaky-ass strings of incoherent equations that go 2x+by/mx+b=c or something.

:deep breath: But probably if I sleep on it, I'll be able to think of a way to better word the "Your goal is to win. Mine is simply not to lose" bit.

Last edited by Mouse; 07 October 2016 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Thought of More to Say
Old 07 October 2016, 05:25 AM

Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
... but is there, say, ... German Sign Language, etc?
There is: German Sign Language. And it's part of a language family with regional variants. And although the spoken language in both Austria and parts of Switzerland is German, the Austrian and Swiss Sign Languages are not related to the German Sign Language, but part of the French Sign Language Family.

On naming persons, I learned from a friend that persons in the public eye (politicians, artists, etc.) often get a sign-nickname - sometimes derived from their name, sometimes from a personal feature (is there a sign for "Trump" in ASL?).
Old 07 October 2016, 05:40 AM

Reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
a bit from Xiaolin Showdown, where the wise master does a lesson, summing up the moral as "Your goal was to win. Mine was simply not to lose."
The idea (trying not to lose rather than to win) comes up in a lot of different books on playing sports both as a strategy and as a matter of ethics.

I couldn't find anything in Eastern martial arts that predates Flashing Steel: Mastering Eishin-Ryu Swordsmanship by Shimabukuro and Pellman from 1995. "... we are more likely to achieve a victory if you are determined not to lose rather than trying to win." (Pronoun shift included! In fact, the full sentence has another but, anyway, it's in there.)