snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 28 September 2016, 02:21 PM

Glasses Stupid questions

Cervus asked why newspapers still endorsed candidates and who cared.

Well, those of us who still read the newspapers, for one. Also, I've noticed that their endorsements take the form of essays, which lay out the reasons for the endorsement. There's often information there about the candidates' past performance as well as an analysis of the positions themselves. This is very helpful information.

Seaboe
Old 28 September 2016, 02:32 PM

I assume the editorial boards of said newspapers also care about the endorsements, or they wouldn't keep making them.

And in this particular election year, there have been several instances of papers endorsing a Democrat for the first time in generations, or ever. That's made news, and has underscored the, um, exceptional nature of this year's Republican nominee.
Old 28 September 2016, 02:59 PM

There might also be another element to it... subscription boosts. If it's known that a paper backs a certain candidate, they can probably expect some new or at the very least re-newed subscriptions to come from that.
Old 29 September 2016, 01:11 AM

A week or two ago I picked some sprigs of oregano from the plant in my garden. I didn't end up using all of it and ended up leaving the unused sprigs sitting on the counter. They've now dried out, to the point where I can crumble the leaves with my fingers. If I cook with them should I treat it as dried oregano or fresh oregano?
Old 29 September 2016, 02:09 PM

Glasses

Dried.

Seaboe
Old 29 September 2016, 03:47 PM

Can you walk across the George Washington Bridge (between Manhattan and New Jersey)?

I can't tell from Street View - it doesn't cross the bridge itself for some reason, and although I can see that there are wide walkways there, they appear to be blocked off by maintenance equipment so it's not clear whether they're open to the public.
Old 29 September 2016, 04:09 PM

Since the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey has a page about pedestrian and bicycle traffic on the George Washington Bridge, I'm going to go with yes.

ETA: Oddly, it has hours of operation from 6 am to midnight. I'm guessing that that is an issue of safety.
Old 29 September 2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Cervus asked why newspapers still endorsed candidates and who cared.
Quote:
There are two pretty good reasons for newspapers to take these potentially unpopular stands.

First, if the right factors come together, editorials really can influence voters’ decisions.

Although research shows that most voters say a newspaper editorial had no influence on their vote, two recent studies suggest that there’s one exception to that rule: when the endorsements are unexpected.
Link to WaPo article
Old 29 September 2016, 07:25 PM

Somebody mentioned the Tohono O'Odham people in the earlier thread.

Are they better known in the last 10 years, or am I noticing them being mentioned more often since I've read a few of J.A. Jance's books?
Old 29 September 2016, 07:53 PM

Up until recently, many people called them by the name Papago, even though they've been using Tohono O'Odham since 1986. Along with issues with the term "squaw", Arizona has finally caught on to not using disparaging terms to refer to Native Americans (Papago means "bean eater" and was another tribe's insulting name for the Tohono O'Odham).
Old 30 September 2016, 03:33 AM

Tonight I went to a restaurant about 45 minutes before it closed. I figured that would be enough time to get a small meal and get out. But for various reasons, service was slow that night, and I ended up leaving twenty minutes after the place officially closed. There were still plenty of people enjoying their meals when I left.

As someone who has never worked in a restaurant, this made me wonder...how do restaurants ever close?

When I worked in a bookstore, we stopped letting people in at closing time and tried to gently nudge any remaining customers out the door. I remember a few times when people lingered, but it usually took ten or fifteen minutes at most before they payed for their books and left.

But in a restaurant, if someone comes in five minutes before closing, you still have to prepare their meal and wait for them to eat it and leave, right? So do restaurant workers just resign themselves to the fact that they will never get to close on time?

I know this is probably a really stupid question, but hey, that's what this thread is for.

Last edited by Veruca; 30 September 2016 at 03:34 AM. Reason: to add a word
Old 30 September 2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
The south sidewalk is normally open from 6 a.m. until 11:59 p.m. seven days a week, and the north sidewalk is closed at all times.
Aha, that was the problem with Google Street View - the camera was on the north side so I could only see the closed footpath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veruca View Post
As someone who has never worked in a restaurant, this made me wonder...how do restaurants ever close?
I think there's normally just a time when they stop taking orders, which would obviously be different from the time they actually expect to close. I'm not sure which is the one that's advertised as the "closing time" - it might vary by restaurant, or perhaps if there's nobody in there at "closing time" they'll shut, but the usual time they expect to get rid of the last customer is an hour (half an hour, whatever) after the posted closing time.
Old 30 September 2016, 10:00 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Up until recently, many people called them by the name Papago, even though they've been using Tohono O'Odham since 1986. Along with issues with the term "squaw", Arizona has finally caught on to not using disparaging terms to refer to Native Americans (Papago means "bean eater" and was another tribe's insulting name for the Tohono O'Odham).
Well to be fair lots of tribes are still reclaiming their names and dropping the imposed ones. Look at the Ho-Chunk; in Wisconsin they're the Ho-Chunk. In Nebraska they still call themselves the Winnebago.
Old 30 September 2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I think there's normally just a time when they stop taking orders, which would obviously be different from the time they actually expect to close. I'm not sure which is the one that's advertised as the "closing time" - it might vary by restaurant, or perhaps if there's nobody in there at "closing time" they'll shut, but the usual time they expect to get rid of the last customer is an hour (half an hour, whatever) after the posted closing time.
That's standard in the restaurant industry.

The posted time is generally the time they close to *new* customers. Then they stay open a little beyond that time if need be to give the customers a chance to finish. Employees know that and are on the clock a little after that time. Some places make it clear by posting the "serving time."

Some places don't follow that, though. I once posted about the cheapo pizza place that told me to leave at 11 P.M. and wouldn't let me eat the pizza I paid for.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 30 September 2016, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the information, Richard W and Bill!
Old 01 October 2016, 12:44 AM

Mouse

In the spirit of the book, How to Fight Presidents and inspired by a Cracked article talking about Ulysses Grant's Epic Civil War Bender, I find myself wondering, of our three alcoholic presidents, Pierce, Buchanan, and Grant, who would come win in a drinking contest? Grant was good at fighting and drinking, and screwed up at everything else, Pierce was like a villain in a Lifetime movie when drunk, while Buchanan was more the wild frat boy kind of drunk, if you're wondering.

Should I flog myself for the insensitivity of this question? I thought the fact that all three men were long dead, would make it okay.
Old 01 October 2016, 01:39 AM

I'd assume Grant, but maybe I'm confusing military leadership with ability to kick ass one-to-one.

Are those the only three? Andrew Johnson was drunk at his inaugural as VP; I'm not sure that he drank a whole lot at other times, but that's kind of suspicious behavior, so he might also count. And I think some of the early to mid 20th century presidents would count as well, except men just drank that much back then so if FDR put back a few martinis, nobody noticed. And GW Bush is in recovery, and it seems like he's been in pretty good shape, so depending how we're counting this, he might kick Grant's ass.
Old 01 October 2016, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I think there's normally just a time when they stop taking orders, which would obviously be different from the time they actually expect to close.
Many restaurants here have kitchen hours and opening hours posted. There's even a place near here that has two different menus - one for lunch and dinner, and a reduced menu for between lunch and dinner and after the dinner rush.

So the kitchen may only be open (for new orders) until 10:00, but the place serves drinks until 12:00.
Old 01 October 2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Some places don't follow that, though. I once posted about the cheapo pizza place that told me to leave at 11 P.M. and wouldn't let me eat the pizza I paid for.
Ha, that sort of thing used to happen in pubs in the UK before they relaxed the licensing laws. Last Orders were 11pm and the pub could legally only allow 20 minutes "drinking up time" after that. Usually places were reasonable about it and wouldn't start to really push it until 11.30 or so, when you'd probably have had time to finish your drink, but occasionally you'd get somewhere with over-enthusiastic bouncers and you'd buy your pint only to have them start trying to take it away from you shortly afterwards...
Old 02 October 2016, 12:46 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I'd assume Grant, but maybe I'm confusing military leadership with ability to kick ass one-to-one.

Are those the only three? Andrew Johnson was drunk at his inaugural as VP; I'm not sure that he drank a whole lot at other times, but that's kind of suspicious behavior, so he might also count. And I think some of the early to mid 20th century presidents would count as well, except men just drank that much back then so if FDR put back a few martinis, nobody noticed. And GW Bush is in recovery, and it seems like he's been in pretty good shape, so depending how we're counting this, he might kick Grant's ass.
Those who knew Andrew Johnson said that he was actually moderate in his drinking. The drunk VP speech came about because he had been ill with Typhoid and his doctor recommended shots of whiskey to help him recover. Because that's how 19th century doctors rolled back then. Unfortunately that moment led to Johnson being forever immortalized as a drunk.

Oh and I'm leaving out living presidents because it feels insensitive. And again, we're talking about a drinking contest, not a physical fight.
Closed Thread