snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Moot Court

Old 26 September 2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooeygun View Post
He even used it on the Police Association fundraiser. That person got quite huffy (but, I'm calling from the Police Assn). He stood his ground and repeated his line, then hung up.
Good call on his part. https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...d-firefighters

From what I have read, a lot of the fundraisers that actually are working on behalf of the police keep a lot of the cash they raise.
Old 26 September 2016, 08:12 PM

I recall a few years ago a police assn getting in trouble for their aggressive fundraising with new immigrants. People from countries where police are corrupt and more dangerous not knowing they could say no when asked for $$.
Old 26 September 2016, 10:33 PM

So far I've gotten two robo calls and one guy with a thick Russian accent. I laughed at the Russian guy and told him that he really needed to up his game. He hung up on me.
Old 27 September 2016, 01:39 PM

Teacher

The Canada Revenue Agency recommends reporting scam calls to the Canadian anti-fraud centre, antifraudcentre.ca using their online reporting tool.

Report these as "scam calls" and not "taxes".
Old 27 September 2016, 04:56 PM

Icon605

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooeygun View Post
He even used it on the Police Association fundraiser. That person got quite huffy (but, I'm calling from the Police Assn).
Given that there are quite a few scam organizations purportedly raising money for some Police Benevolent fund or other, that's a wise tactic for anyone.

A former boss told all random charitable callers that he and his wife researched and picked organizations and set a donation budget at the beginning of each year, and had to stick to that budget (and it was the truth).
Old 28 September 2016, 02:03 PM

Glasses

In the days when I actually answered my phone (instead of letting the machine do it), I just said I did not respond to telephone solicitations. I don't respond to door-to-door solicitations, either (or proselytizers).

Seaboe
Old 28 September 2016, 03:17 PM

I haven't gotten a call like that for years but when I did I always asked them to send me some literature about their cause. Legit charities shouldn't have any problem doing that - although offhand I can't recall getting any legit charities phoning me. The scammers always spluttered and made all sorts of excuses and kept trying to guilt me into an instant donation. Nice try guys.
Old 28 September 2016, 05:25 PM

France

In France, the latest thing in phone scams are robot calls telling us that a packet awaits for us, and to contact an overcharged number to get it. Of course, being a postman, I know that neither the postal service, nor UPS or DHL, work like that, so I simply hang up the phone. In recent days, though, I have decided to screen my calls. I don't answer any of them. If it's important, I have a voice mail they can use. If not, too bad for them. Because I'm tired of picking up the phone only to find somebody on the line who wants to sell me something I don't need, or I don't want, or I don't have the means to afford, or the three at the same time.
Old 28 September 2016, 05:33 PM

I don't answer any number I don't recognize/have in my contacts, or that is blocked. Occasionally I'll google an unfamiliar number, and so far they've all been flagged as scam sites of one kind or another.
Old 28 September 2016, 06:36 PM

Glasses

I have to be careful about that, because sometimes an unfamiliar number has been from my various Dr.'s offices. Apparently these days they have multiple numbers they can use. So I'll answer a call from inside my area code. If it turns out to be a spammer, I then block the number.

Seaboe
Old 28 September 2016, 07:11 PM

I occasionally get calls from genuine would-be farm customers, whose numbers I wouldn't have because this is the first time I've heard from them. As I sometimes sell garlic mail-order, and as some people have cell phone numbers from places where they spend the winter or where they've previously lived, I can't tell by the area code.

If I do find myself on the phone with an obvious scammer, I'm likely to say "You're working for a scammer. You're gonna go to jail." and hang up.
Old 28 September 2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
So I'll answer a call from inside my area code.
Just to jump off this point, I have received calls on my work cell phone that have the same area code and exchange as mine (maybe I have at home also, with that AC and exchange) that are almost certainly spoofed, because I pick up and it is a robo-call, often in rapid Spanish.

I assume that it is spoofed to that number so that I will pick up, thinking it is a neighbor or whatever.
Old 28 September 2016, 10:26 PM

CBS TV in Dallas, KIVT, Channel 11, just ran a story about a similar scam. The scammer is emailing a letter that looks very much like an IRS form saying you some money due to ACA. The amount is small enough that some people are just sending the money in. Again, the IRS will not use any electronic media to contact you.
Old 28 September 2016, 11:04 PM

I dunno, I have a different tact and perhaps it is because we don't get a lot of calls.

I answer all of them. Costs me nothing and I can easily hang up.

One problem with caller ID, other than the spoofing, is that many PaBX systems don't always give the number of the party calling, that is, it isn't the number which will ring back to the caller. It might be the primary number for the organization, but that doesn't help identify the specific caller.
Old 06 October 2016, 11:18 PM

Cheer India arrests 70 in alleged tax scam targeting Americans

Indian police have arrested 70 people and are questioning hundreds more after uncovering a massive scam to cheat thousands of Americans out of millions of dollars by posing as U.S. tax authorities and demanding unpaid taxes, a police officer said Thursday.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/india-ta...ople-arrested/
Old 07 October 2016, 03:47 AM

Ha! Nice to see them face the musoc. I hope the US companies involved get what they deserve.
Old 07 October 2016, 02:06 PM

Glasses

It won't even make a dent in those calls. Scammers are like mice--they bread faster than you can catch 'em.

Seaboe
Old 07 October 2016, 03:31 PM

Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootsie Plunkette View Post
Given that there are quite a few scam organizations purportedly raising money for some Police Benevolent fund or other, that's a wise tactic for anyone.

I used to get calls from the (IIRC)MD State Police Widows and Orphans fund--the first time I was pressured into giving some $$ for the stale seasonings. I knew that most of my money went to admin or some other dept but I was young and stupid. I remember mentioning that call and my suspicions to my father. Yup, it was some fund raising company. (my dad used to know the person who ran that fund but obviously that had changed). Dad went on to say that the state is generous with widows/orphans of MD State Police, so don't feel bad for hanging up on the high pressure tactics. These days, a simple Google search would no doubt tell me how to legitimately contribute to a police fund (other than through my taxes)

I know, I know--am I some kind of cop-hater?
Old 07 October 2016, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
All these scams are horrible but the ones that gets me angriest are the ones targeting elderly people - the one I am thinking of right now is the one where someone phones claiming that a grandchild is in trouble and needs money right away. It's easy to say "how could they be fooled" but it happens. I'd like to think my own elderly parents are too savvy to be taken in but some of these scammers are slick and they get people rattled and scared and, of course, that's what they're counting on.
They targeted my parents over my niece who is three. I answered with "Mycity sheriff's department, how may I direct your call" when I saw the number pop up again. They never called back.
Old 08 October 2016, 11:42 PM

When I used to help people with their bankruptcies, I dealt with the IRS a lot - they aren't mean, they don't call you, they don't act like your typical collection agency.

They don't have to. If you owe them money they can get it, you can't discharge the debt, and the IRS isn't trying to make a profit from bad debt. The IRS doesn't buy your 90 day overdue debt for 60 - 10 cents on the dollar and then try to squeeze you for the full value with phone calls and fishing for a default judgment.

The IRS sends you mail. When they do call them, talk to them, make a deal - they are open to dealing. They aren't a collection agency, the employees aren't on commission, and they aren't trying to lock anyone in jail or seize anyone's house.

-Winged Monkey