snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Doctor Is In

Old 18 August 2016, 01:40 PM

Whalephant

They all looked male to me. I find personally that I never know if a face will "stick" or not. Mostly they don't but sometimes if I see them once they do.
Old 18 August 2016, 08:57 PM

54%. Taking out such features as necks and, especially, hair, takes away a number of my clues. I usually do okay in real world situations, but I have had total lapses at times as well.
Old 19 August 2016, 12:21 AM

Mouse

With me, it's like "I can learn names and faces or I can pay attention to what they're saying, so that I can reply in a socially acceptable manner. I can't do both." I've often dreamed that if I ever conquer the world, everybody will have to wear nametags at all times sewn into their clothes or tattooed on their flesh if they're very comfortable with their bodies. Because the only time I solidly get names and faces is if there's a nametag involved.
Old 19 August 2016, 12:40 AM

80%, so I guess I'm average. I can remember faces of former students--but I cannot put their names to their faces usually.

OTOH, I recently ran into an old elementary-school classmate of mine whom I had last seen in 1985 (well beyond elementary school!). Recognized him at once, and remembered his name!
Old 19 August 2016, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Did you think they were all male? In some cases I couldn't tell.
All men. A couple of them could possibly have been unfortunate looking women, but I doubt it.
Old 19 August 2016, 01:58 AM

Icon07

I wouldn't call a woman who looked like these men "unfortunate looking".

I've noticed my ability has gone way down in the twenty years since I worked with thousands of faces, plus hundreds of other names with faces. (I don't have a super memory but I used to be able to apply it much better than I do now!) On this test, I got an average score, 81%, but it was very hard. I went with a guess on many answers.
Old 19 August 2016, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
With me, it's like "I can learn names and faces or I can pay attention to what they're saying, so that I can reply in a socially acceptable manner. I can't do both."
Do you know, I think there may be a bit of that in there also.

"I'm sorry, I have no idea what you were saying, I was concentrating on trying to describe your nose to myself verbally in the hope that I'd be able to recognize you again in five minutes!"

-- but I think the thing is, people who aren't face blind can usually recognize the nose again without having had to consciously say to themselves 'it's narrow, it turns up a bit at the tip, there's a small bump about halfway down, it's a medium tan color, there are glasses at the top of it, they're sunglasses, they've got brown rims, there's no mustache under it' -- I mean, by the time I could get halfway through that the person would probably have given me a funny look and walked off anyway.
Old 19 August 2016, 02:49 AM

51%. I am in no way surpised. I rarely introduce myself to clients anymore because I've had too many cases of "Yes, we saw you three months ago with Fluffy." So unless I have time to check every single pet's records on the client's file to verify I've never seen them, I just skip the intros and only tell them my name if they ask. As an example, I had a very involved emergency case on a young pit bull a few months ago, including a second visit to correct a minor surgical complication. Client came in a week ago to buy flea medication and said hello to me and if the receptionist hadn't had their file up on the screen I would have had no idea who it was. Happened to run into him again two days later at a fast food place and did manage to recognize him then, but probably wouldn't have without the flea med visit.

Someone has to look pretty different or do something pretty outrageous for me to recognize them after only one or two meetings.
Old 19 August 2016, 03:03 AM

Keket, I'm curious. Could you recognize the pit bull again?

-- I seem to be better at telling cats apart than most people are. I've often known people to confuse two cats that don't look a bit alike to me. But cats come in a wider range of colors and patterns, and they can be reasonably counted on not to change their clothes. -- maybe most people are trying to tell the cats apart by their faces, and I'm not using that technique?
Old 19 August 2016, 03:31 AM

Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Keket, I'm curious. Could you recognize the pit bull again?
In a heartbeat. Sure there are pets that look alike (I would have a hell of a time picking out gray Shih Tzu A from gray Shih Tzu B) but I am far better at identifying animals than their humans. Like you say, animals tend not to change as much as people, plus I'm spending 80% of my appointment looking at the animal.
Old 19 August 2016, 06:24 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keket View Post

Someone has to look pretty different or do something pretty outrageous for me to recognize them after only one or two meetings.
I tie in recognizing co-workers to uniforms. The uniforms change or they wear a light jacket? Doomed. I notoriously once asked the then head chef (whom I saw in passing most days) who he was and why he needed the kitchen keys when he arrived on a holiday day in shorts and a Hawaiian shirt.

I still can't tell JJ and Weaver from Criminal Minds apart.
Old 19 August 2016, 06:36 AM

Zero percent. I got bored and stopped paying attention when they started showing groups of faces and decided not to bother finishing it since I was basically randomly guessing at that point anyway.
Old 19 August 2016, 12:22 PM

I am now wondering whether face blind people might be better than the non face blind at recognizing non-humans because we're used to looking at other cues, while the non face blind are used to identifying according to faces.

It might have more to do with degree of familiarity with non-humans, though -- maybe I'm just better at cats* than most people because I've known so many cats, and Keket is good at the species she works with because they're the species she works with.

*I think I'm good with dog mutts, too. Purebred dogs, within the same breed, can look quite similar to me -- they're bred to; but I'm not around them enough to know whether I can identify individuals worse or better than most people.
Old 20 August 2016, 10:58 PM

I can't remember the actual score but it was something like 84%.

I think I have a really hard time distinguishing between pixelated people. I know it's racist, but the pixelated all look the same to me. I know, I know it's bad, but I just can't differentiate between one distorted face and another unless the face I recognise is more defined than its more pixelated alternatives.

OK, sarcasm aside, what were the final few tests meant to show? Were they addressing facial recognition problems in distorted camera footage? Because I doubt CCTV footage has been that bad for a long time.
Old 21 August 2016, 01:45 PM

Maybe some people are so good at it that they can tell those faces apart even through the static? mbravo pulled off a 99%, after all.

They're probably just as interested in super-recognizers as in the faceblind.
Old 21 August 2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Zero percent. I got bored and stopped paying attention when they started showing groups of faces and decided not to bother finishing it since I was basically randomly guessing at that point anyway.
Same here. I was doing really well at first and was patting myself on the back thinking I was going to end up with a high score and would be the star witness if I ever happened to see a crime being committed. Then it just kept going on and on. Life is just too short to do boring stuff on the Internet. I have to do enough boring stuff in my real life .
Old 21 August 2016, 06:01 PM

The fuzzy images require the user to rely on general face shape/where shaded/dark areas may appear on the face proportionally rather than being able to identify facial features in ways that are a little easier to explain ("The guy with the pointy nose" vs "That cheek part juts out a little bit and there's going to be some shadow next to it" I suppose). A bit like being able to tell someone apart when it's very dark or you are looking at a picture that is out of focus. I'm having trouble articulating it exactly, it's more to do with the face pattern as a whole than more discrete parts of the face.

As I posted this I realized that that might be what faceblind people are trying to do too (the pattern recognition I have difficulty explaining) but not making successful matches. I'm really just basing it off of what was going on in my own brain as I took the test.

It'd be neat now that it's been quite a few days if I could try to take the test again without the refresher images of the guys being shown. I can still picture 3 of the guys fairly well.
Old 21 August 2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
As I posted this I realized that that might be what faceblind people are trying to do too (the pattern recognition I have difficulty explaining) .
For me, it's more like: I can see the face while I'm looking at it.

The moment I look away? It's gone.

Unless I consciously told myself to look for them, and concentrated on doing so, I won't even know if there were glasses, or a mustache.

In addition, people who look distinctly different to most people often look alike to me even while I am looking at the faces; especially if I'm looking at pictures. If I had been told that all the faces in the Cambridge test were of the same person taken from slightly different angles, I'd believe it -- though I think there was one person with a distinctive chin; but I noticed that because I was staring at the photos trying to find something, anything, to let me tell them apart. If I'd been in conversation with the person instead, I doubt I'd have noticed that.

FWIW, the distinctive-chin person was also about the only one who looked distinctively male to me; the others looked ambguous, though I rarely have trouble telling male from female in person -- one of the few things I'm likely to know about whoever I was just talking to is which they were presenting as. I'm likely to also notice skin tone, though for tones in the middle of the range I wouldn't count on that either.

You would think I could have at least matched the distinctive-chin person; and maybe sometimes I did, as I did do somewhat better than chance. But they were also asking in part of the test whether the picture matched one of the ones I'd seen, or was none of them -- and there are other people in the world with that type of chin; so that single feature was no help with that one, as I couldn't tell whether something else about the face was different.

By the way -- some of you think that test is boring even though you could tell the people apart? Try it when they all look the same. I probably just had more motivation to finish.
Old 21 August 2016, 11:38 PM

This test did not seem to be about face blindness at all, but maybe I do not understand what the term means. I would have thought the first part of the test - see a pic and then pick out the face from a group - was sort of about face blindness. The second part, trying to memorize several faces you see for a limited period and then pick one of them out from a series of groups of quite similar faces seems more a particularly obscure memory test. I thought the point of face blindness was being unable to recognize faces you ought to be well-familiar with, like a friend or coworker. This was more like the momory tests where you see a grouo of objects for a little while and then see a group of similar objects - except this was more like having to differentiate images of unsolved Rubik's Cubes.
Old 22 August 2016, 01:34 AM

But if you can't recognize faces, you can't remember them for a memory test, either.

It would be more like trying to pick out a particular Rubik's Cube pattern if all the colors looked alike to you; or if the colors refused to stay in your memory as soon as you weren't looking at them. -- in my case, for that test, it was more like both of those. In the first place, I saw very little difference between the faces, even while I was still looking at the photos. Most of them could easily have all been of the same person, as far as I could tell. In the second place, I can't memorize the faces in the photos in the ordinary sense, because when I'm not looking at the photo any longer the face in it is gone from my memory. I had to do things like try to recite to myself 'there's one with a cleft chin. there's one that looks a little more female, I don't know why. does one have a longer nose, maybe? is that the same one as the one with the cleft chin?' and by the time I'd gotten that far the pictures had been removed, and I still hadn't figured out whether cleft-chin also had a longer nose or not.

ETA: also, apparently to people with normal face perception none of them looked at all female. So there may be something I'm not seeing at all in those pictures, however hard I look.