snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 01 January 2016, 02:10 AM

Icon220 California or Bust

The perfectly rounded breast is to L.A. what big hair is to Dallas. More than palm trees or surfboards or stars on Hollywood Boulevard, the breast—especially the surgically augmented breast—has become this city’s icon. That it taps into an American obsession only makes the symbol more potent. Saline or silicone, globelike or teardrop, ta-tas put the la-la in Los Angeles.

When it comes to beauty ideals and the self-loathing they inspire, however, breasts stand alone. I should know. For more than 20 years, I have been an A cup—just barely. In all that time I have never, not once, had a stranger stare at my chest. I’ve been admired, loved, lusted after. I’ve had my share of attention but not my share of breasts. As much as I want to deny it, it pisses me off. It is time, I decide, to stop traffic. It is time to join the ranks of the well endowed.

http://www.lamag.com/longform/california-or-bust/
Old 01 January 2016, 02:51 AM

That was a lot of rambling and serious overuse of metaphoric language.
Old 01 January 2016, 03:32 AM

I didn't realize big hair was associated with Dallas...
Old 01 January 2016, 03:48 AM

Yeah, there is a lot of that. Also, before posting, I hadn't realized it was from 2002 (not that it's necessarily out of date).
Old 01 January 2016, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
I didn't realize big hair was associated with Dallas...
That was definitely a stereotype at one point, and not without some factual basis. However, I think it may be an outdated one. Styles change. Then again, considering that the article was 13 years old, I don't know how valid it was 13 years ago.

Hooray for Big Hair! (Texas Monthly, 1992)
The Myth About Big Dallas Hair (D Magazine, 2012)

Quote:
Where is the big hair?

I grew up in Dallas in the ’80s, when a girl didn’t become a woman without destroying a chunk of the ozone. Mall bangs, we called it. (Also, The Claw.) As a child, I was in thrall to the razzle dazzle of Morgan Fairchild and the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders. Later, I defined myself against it. But whether you loved that platinum flash or felt warped by it, no one could deny this was Big Hair Country.

These days, I see none of that glorious poof.
Old 01 January 2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
That was definitely a stereotype at one point, and not without some factual basis. However, I think it may be an outdated one. Styles change. Then again, considering that the article was 13 years old, I don't know how valid it was 13 years ago.
I lived in a suburb of Dallas from 1989 to 2002. Granted, I was just growing up, but given all my memories of Dallas are also 13 years old, it seems they ought to match. I know, I know, anecdote != data, but I've got as much data as the article in the OP.
Old 01 January 2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Granted, I was just growing up, but given all my memories of Dallas are also 13 years old, it seems they ought to match. I know, I know, anecdote != data, but I've got as much data as the article in the OP.
Everyone thinks the styles when they're growing up look normal. It's pretty much the definition of normal to you. But sometimes when you get out the old photos they look sillier than you remember.