snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 29 December 2015, 02:24 PM

I finished my first playthrough in FO4 as a female character. I sided with the Brotherhood, and got a romance with Danse. Ended at level 64. It was interesting!

I started a new playthrough with a male character, and just a few levels in I'm already finding a couple quests that I didn't find my first playthrough. I'm having fun this playthrough being sarcastic.
Old 29 December 2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillas View Post
Still playing Fallout 4. I'm getting near-ish to the end, and I don't want to finish it, so I'm doing every side quest I can find. Or at least I was, now I'm level grinding on the BoS Radiant quests (Cleansing the Commonweath and Quartermastery). I'm about halfway between level 59 and 60 now and have reached the point where if I'm in sneak mode I can one-shot just about anything. But oddly, I'm still having fun, so no reason to change it up yet.
That's how I put in over 2000 hours on Skyrim. Just too much fun doing stuff like that, despite the seeming monotony.
Old 29 December 2015, 04:59 PM

I beat the core game of FO4, I'm now up to level 74 and wandering the Commonwealth, building up my settlements and beating down any BoS or Institute remnants I come across.
Old 29 December 2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillas View Post
Or at least I was, now I'm level grinding on the BoS Radiant quests (Cleansing the Commonweath and Quartermastery).
I was doing the level-grinding missions with the Minutemen, but I've quit doing that as the never-resolved nature of grinding is too anathema to what I want from Fallout. No matter how many defenses I build, they still need defending and still suffer from raider attacks. And how is it that a week after clearing out a raider encampment, they are back in full force? Where are they all coming from? And where are all the super mutants coming from? There can't be that much FEV floating about. I've taken to planting mines in raided encampments as that seems (so far) to keep respawning to a minimum.

On an unrelated note, does anyone else have the BoS following them around to wherever they go? I'll approach an encampment of super mutants or raiders and hear the whop-whop-whop of a Vertibird as the BoS assaults the position. Sometimes they are so far away that I only know they are doing it when I suddenly get experience from them killing or when the sky lights up with the crash of the Vertibird. It wasn't much of an issue before, especially the free experience, but it might be screwing up my playthrough (though that may have been me). I had the Railroad analyze the courser chip but went to the Minutemen to assist with building the teleporter, but the mission path I'm on seems to be the Institute path as defined here (potential spoilers at that site). For example, I have the quest The Battle for Bunker Hill where I informed the Railroad about the raid, but the only thing I can do is talk to Father at the end. Talking to the synths just has them thanking me without any speech options for me.
Old 29 December 2015, 05:26 PM

The Battle For Bunker Hill is a three-way brawl*. If you're aligned with all three factions, none will be hostile to you (even if you're busy mowing them down), but none of the present combatants have anything interesting to say, either.

*Unless Raiders, Super Mutants, or Deathclaws show up. Then it becomes a four or potentially even five-way brawl.
Old 29 December 2015, 05:37 PM

That's good to know, thanks. I thought it was a bug that the Institute didn't turn hostile to me when I started gunning them down as every other part of the game has everyone turn hostile from a single stray shot. I'm assuming the lack of speech options (IE, can't read their recall code) is because informing the Railroad of the raid means I'm committed to freeing the synths. Just seemed weird that the next step in freeing them means I have to talk to the man who was enslaving them and not to the Railroad.
Old 30 December 2015, 02:53 AM

Yeah, at that point in the game everyone seems to know that you're working for all the factions but for some reason assumes that you're really a deep agent for them and not the other guy. You'll get notices when you get the quests that will turn you hostile to a faction.
Old 30 December 2015, 04:54 PM

Was pleased to find the entire X-Wing series has been released on Steam. I'm currently playing through TIE Fighter, and it's just as fun as I remember it being.

Side note - it's downright scary how much muscle memory I've retained from these games, considering how long it's been since I last played them.
Old 31 December 2015, 03:43 PM

I picked up The Talos Principle and TIS-100 from the Steam sale (so far). Thoroughly enjoying both of them, and I appreciate that TIS-100 doesn't even look like I'm playing a game.
Old 31 December 2015, 04:49 PM

I got Space Engineer and Medieval Engineer on the Steam sale. Both Early Access, but Space Engineer is pretty far along. I've hit a few tutorials on that, but spent most of my time on ME.
It is a "realistic" version of Minecraft. Plunks you down in a valley and gives you tools to build yourself a castle, or attack other castles. I am still getting the hang of the structural integrity, and it isn't very big yet, but I'm enjoying it so far.
Old 01 January 2016, 02:53 PM

Oh! I totally forgot to mention, there's a game from some of the creators of The Stanley Parable called Dr. Langeskov, the Tiger, and the Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whilwind Heist (yes, that's really the name). It is short, maybe 15 minutes, but it is totally free and available on Steam. I will say nothing more of it so as not to ruin it, but I highly recommend it (and you can't beat the price).
Old 02 January 2016, 06:29 AM

Picked up Tembo The Badass Elephant and Catlateral Damage from Steam thanks to a sale Humble was having.

Haven't played Catlateral Damage yet, but it's a first person simulator where you're a cat who's trying to knock as many things off of shelves as you can before your owner comes home. The DL said that it's still in Beta, though.

Tembo is a 2D side scroller like Sonic the Hedgehog or Donkey Kong Country. You play as (duh) an elephant who's fighting the evil army. Played it a little: pretty fun so far, so if you like that sort of game I recommend it.
Old 05 January 2016, 01:22 PM

I've only just started playing Fallout 4. I got it for Christmas and only got back home to play it on Saturday night. I've been avoiding this thread because I didn't want to read everybody's spoilers...

So I had a good session on Sunday. I've joined the Minutemen and helped the first couple of settlements by killing a couple of buildings full of raiders. I've also finished the Sanctuary mission and rebuilt enough of the town that the settlers are now happy.

I was planning to finish off the early Minutemen stuff before continuing the main missions, but I gather from a Facebook meme / thread that it just carries on forever in the same vein, so perhaps not at this point. I should really get on with the plot - my character seems remarkably unconcerned about trying to find her missing baby / son!

I also found it a bit odd how quickly she apparently went from ordinary suburban housewife thrown into an impossibly traumatic and unexpected situation, to the person random survivalists think is ideally placed to repair their power armour and go up against deathclaws with a handheld minigun, within seconds of meeting her... I'd even given her a stereotypical 1950s blonde sitcom haircut, lipstick and a nice green dress (with CHA boost) to wear before she talked to them, so it's not at all obvious why she looked like she'd be good with military hardware. Luckily though, she's a complete natural! Maybe part of the preparation for the original war was to train everybody up with the latest top-of-the-range weapons just in case.

Yesterday I picked up a copy of Assassin's Creed: Syndicate in the sales - the other game which I was saving for a potential Christmas present. I played that last night, and got as far as liberating Whitechapel and getting my train base up and running.

I'm not sure why Jacob and Evie arrived in Whitechapel by train when they started from Crawley - they should have arrived at Victoria (in the Westminster area of the game, almost diametrically opposed on the map). And the deep chasm that Jacob crashed his train into in the training mission doesn't look like any landscape near Crawley that I've ever seen. London looks pretty good from what I've seen of it so far, though. And I'm liking the less convoluted plot than the last few games. Given the rate they're churning them out at the moment, the Assassin's Creed games really need a fairly simple good guys / bad guys dynamic to work, and the last couple almost got rid of that.

Last edited by Richard W; 05 January 2016 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05 January 2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
The one thing that I would hope at least some fairly large subset of people living in the aftermath of a nuclear war would not do.
It is a pretty common solution in the Fallout universe. You can blow up the Master's base in Fallout: APARPG, the Enclave base in Fallout 2 (also the Shi base IMS), the Enclave's Raven Rock base in Fallout 3, the BoS base (also Mr House's Securitron base, but that is just robots) in Fallout: New Vegas, and now the Institute's base in Fallout 4. In most of those, the method of demolition is a reactor overload, so at least they stay consistent. Maybe it is a continuation of the crap-sack world of 2077 before the bombs fell*, or maybe it is just that life in the Wasteland has taken humanity down to our basest insticts where the other must be destroyed.

* If you haven't played the first Fallout, the intro movie has an network news story about the annexation of Canada showing two power-armored American soldiers executing a kneeling prisoner in the street, then jauntily waving at the camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I was planning to finish off the early Minutemen stuff before continuing the main missions, but I gather from a Facebook meme / thread that it just carries on forever in the same vein...
I've finished the main story line and Preston is still assigning his "General" to stop raiders, mutants, bandits, mutant vampire bandits, etc.

ETA: I love what the developers have done with the power armor. For example, the T-xx helmets use the spotlight as the spotlight, but the X-01 helmet (the Enclave one from the cover of Fallout 2) uses the eyes as the spotlight since that model doesn't have a spotlight.
Old 05 January 2016, 02:43 PM

Yes, I've already been made a "General" too, and was expecting at that point to be able to take some sort of charge myself rather than continue to be told what to do by my footsoldiers!

(eta) I've not been wearing the power armour much. I did use it and the minigun for the second Minuteman raid, thinking that I probably should at least try, but it's so cumbersome and unwieldy that it's almost more trouble than it's worth in the early stages. And it ran out of power just as I had finished killing the raiders, subjecting me to a very slow slog back home (I stayed in the suit because I didn't want to leave it in a random building) - at least until I realised that you can fast-travel in this one even if you're overloaded.

The minigun is pretty good against deathclaws and yuao gwai (or however you spell the irradiated bears) and it's a bit heavy to carry around if you're not in the power armour, so maybe when I need that a bit more, I will use the armour. I'm sure it has a purpose. I need to find some more fuel cores first though.

Last edited by Richard W; 05 January 2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05 January 2016, 02:49 PM

I picture Preston hanging out at the bar with all the other Minutemen, laughing their butts off at how they've fooled the FNG into doing all the work by saying that he/she is the new "General".

This isn't so far-fetched really. During a mission for the Institute, you come upon a group of Minutemen actually doing something. They completely blow you off, even knowing that you are the "General".

ETA: I forgot to mention in my previous post why I think the Institute is the bigger evil. Part of it may be bias from previous games, but I'm not sure. The whole reason they kidnapped Shaun was so they could have unmutated pre-war DNA. In multiple Fallout games, the Enclave has also had a huge interest in unmutated pre-war DNA. In Fallout 2 and 3, they have plans to kill all humans and creatures that do not have unmutated, pre-war DNA. And the Institute is creating flesh-and-blood beings with this pre-war DNA. What do they plan on doing in the future when their creations are ready to go out to the surface. Yes, you are named the head of the Institute, but given the layers upon layers of secrecy and deception, is that going to be sufficient?

ETA2: Also, if you go against the Institute and take Shaunyth with you, make sure to get him the junk he asks for when you talk to him later. He'll build things like weapon mods. But he can also build a Wazer Wifle, a second laser rifle whose ammo capacity is all the ammo you are carrying.

Last edited by GenYus234; 05 January 2016 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05 January 2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
The minigun is pretty good against deathclaws
I was about to get effed up by a deathclaw, and I hopped into an abandoned bus for cover. The deathclaw just stopped and waited for me to come back out, so I picked him off with whatever weapon I had an excess of ammo for (10mm pistol, I think) from the safety of the bus while he stood there and watched me
Old 05 January 2016, 04:42 PM

The mini-gun and Gatling laser don't seem that useful, especially since it seems their spool-up time has been increased from the last games. IMS, the Fallout 3 Gatling laser was near instantaneous. And the minigun's accuracy is attrocious, I don't think I ever managed to kill anything from a Vertibird, except when I could make something near them explode. PS. Sniping the cars on the elevated highway until they go supercritical while flying around is way too much fun.

Jenn, I did something similar. I'd used up the mini-gun ammo sniping at the raiders from the roof, so I had to close in with the first Deathclaw. But he'd managed to get stuck back inside the sewer that he'd burst from so I just pecked at him from above with the .38 pipe pistol.
Old 05 January 2016, 05:00 PM

You really need three ranks of Heavy Gunner and two ranks of Steady Aim to get the Minigun's accuracy up to the point where you can reasonably hit things with it. Personally, I find that its low damage per bullet (it's one of the lowest of any gun in the game) combined with its inherent poor accuracy means that it just isn't that useful compared to most other options.
Old 05 January 2016, 06:52 PM

Well, I've managed to kill a deathclaw and one of the bears with it already - at this stage of my game, and in situations without easy cover, it's the only gun I think I could have done that with! I wasn't using VATS though. I was free-aiming while running backwards. It seemed to work. (I killed both first time - and I killed the bear twice, since something else killed me shortly afterwards and my last save was before the bear).