snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Closed Thread

Old 08 March 2017, 08:24 PM

Baseball 1 for 7 this week.

1. Only word I recognise is the second one. So, I guess gold, silver and bronze.

2. Easy one. They won the Grey Cup, the CFL champions.

3. Kissing in public

4. I have no clue. Serbia? Yugoslavia fractured into so many pieces that Serbia must border quite a few.

5. Latin for milk? I don't know. Lattice?

6. Survivor? I haven't a clue.

7. Someone else initially claimed their invention.
Old 09 March 2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
Chillas, is that the...
Oo! That sounds right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
I didn't put it in my post because Lainie had already gotten it.
Is that how we're supposed to be playing? I don't even look at other people's posts until I do my answers. I hope I'm not doing it wrong!
Old 09 March 2017, 02:15 PM

I don't know think either way is right or wrong. Sometimes I look and sometimes I don't, and sometimes I look but still put all the ones I know, even if someone has already said them. If I look, I don't put in answers I would not have gotten without looking. But sometimes I only add what others haven't already said. It's a whim-based system, really.
Old 09 March 2017, 03:26 PM

Glasses

While I don't look at the other answers before I post, my answers are mainly whim-based. I generally put down the first thing that pops into my head, whether I know the answer or not. I find it more fun that way.

Seaboe
Old 09 March 2017, 07:20 PM

Baseball

I usually don't look at the answers before I make my post. If I do look, it is because I have no clue on any of the answers. And then I don't post an answer per se, I join in on the conversation trying to solve the one question per week that seems to drive conversation.
Old 10 March 2017, 02:41 PM

I generally only know a couple, if that; and I'll look to see if several people have already posted what I would have answered. If so, I usually won't bother to post.

If I do post, I'll often put answers to all the ones I think I know, though, even if others have already gotten them.
Old 13 March 2017, 01:27 AM

Having finally looked at a map, I was miles off on my guess of Belarus for question 4... at least I knew that it didn't border Estonia! My mental picture of eastern Europe is not as good as I had thought, by some distance...
Old 13 March 2017, 09:23 AM

For 7: In the two of those cases I know about, their discoverers/inventors eventually took their own lives. That's my guess. (Although in one case whether that was intentional and in the other whether they should be considered the discoverer may be debatable. But I'm sure it could be worded to include those cases.)
Old 13 March 2017, 10:19 AM

Whalephant

My guess for #7 is that they were all discovered/invented by amateurs.
Old 14 March 2017, 12:11 PM

Greetings, all.

Ken Jennings writes:
Tuesday Trivia! Inexplicably, I've spent the eleven years since I was on Jeopardy! sending out free trivia questions every seven days. As "wealthy eccentric" hobbies go, I feel this one is pretty harmless.

The other six days of the week, I hunt shipwrecked castaways on my private island, employing a devilish series of man-traps of my own invention.

Now, on to ...
LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. What's the usual English translation for the trio that Homer called "chrysos," "argyros," and "chalcos"?
We say "gold," "silver," and "bronze" (or maybe "copper"). Potato, potahto.

2. In 1995, the Baltimore Stallions became the only American team ever to win what sports honor?
They actually won the Grey Cup, the championship trophy of the Canadian Football League. Listen, it was hard times in Baltimore after they lost the Colts. They would have played anything.

3. Loving Day, observed every June 12, celebrates the end of laws against what?
On June 12, 1967, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in favor of Richard and Mildred Loving, who were challenging the constitutionality of state laws banning interracial marriage.

4. What European country shares a land border with nine others, more than other except for Russia?
Germany touches nine--possibly more European nations than even Russia borders, depending on where you stand on Georgia.

5. What type of colloid, a suspension of two unmixable liquids (like oil and water), takes its name from the Latin word for "to milk"?
Tough question, in my opinion, even if you don't think the weekly science question is ALWAYS tough. These are emulsions. No more mayonnaise science for a while, I promise.

6. British singer Rita Ora is the new host of what non-musical reality show, now in its 23rd cycle?
Tyra Banks notwithstanding, apparently you don't need to be American OR a model to host America's Next Top Model.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these inventions and discoveries? Addison's disease, the Boltzmann equation, the coelacanth, the diesel engine, FM radio, Kodak film, nylon, the Turing test.
The inventor or discoverer in each case ended up committing suicide. Sorry Question Seven is such a downer this week. Some of these deaths are disputed (including Turing's) but the coroner's report in all cases said suicide. I left out influential chemist Gilbert Lewis, whose 1946 death was officially blamed on natural causes, though many suspect suicide to this day.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What dessert takes its name from the Italian words for "pick me up"?

2. Retinoblastoma, a rare childhood cancer, is increasingly being caught by non-professionals during what activity?

3. What country held its first national democratic elections ever in 1996, re-electing Lee Teng-hui as president?

4. What movie actress is the grandmother of Fifty Shades of Grey star Dakota Johnson?

5. The three U.S. cities with the largest convention centers are also the cities that hosted the most business gatherings in 2016. Name any one of the three.

6. The historical "Thugs" considered themselves the children of what goddess?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these words and phrases? Foo fighters, goon, heebie-jeebies, keep up with the Joneses, malarkey, milquetoast, worrywart, yellow journalism, zap.

Enjoy!
Old 14 March 2017, 12:36 PM

2. Retinoblastoma, a rare childhood cancer, is increasingly being caught by non-professionals during what activity? Photography. The flash causes an unusual glint in the eye, I believe.

6. The historical "Thugs" considered themselves the children of what goddess? Kali. They were the Thugees.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these words and phrases? Foo fighters, goon, heebie-jeebies, keep up with the Joneses, malarkey, milquetoast, worrywart, yellow journalism, zap. I believe all of these were invented during wartime? I know foo-fighters, goon, and yellow journalism were.
Old 14 March 2017, 12:53 PM

4 is Tippi Hedren. Dakota Johnston is the daughter of Hedren's daughter, Melanie Griffith, and actor Don Johnson.
Old 14 March 2017, 01:30 PM

1. Tiramisu.

2. Don't know.

3. Taiwan?

4. Don't know.

5. Chicago?

6. Kali.

7. I believe each of these are thought to have originated in comic strips.
Old 14 March 2017, 03:09 PM

1. What dessert takes its name from the Italian words for "pick me up"? I can only think of gellato or biscotti, I'm going with biscotti.

5. The three U.S. cities with the largest convention centers are also the cities that hosted the most business gatherings in 2016. Name any one of the three. Las Vegas. Possibly also San Diego, I know the convention center for ComicCon has to be big.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these words and phrases? Foo fighters, goon, heebie-jeebies, keep up with the Joneses, malarkey, milquetoast, worrywart, yellow journalism, zap. I'm with chillas on this one. IMS, "goon" comes from the Popeye cartoons.
Old 14 March 2017, 03:25 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Tiramisu (first thing to pop into my head, remember?)
Quote:

2. Retinoblastoma, a rare childhood cancer, is increasingly being caught by non-professionals during what activity?
Playing peek-a-boo.
Quote:

3. What country held its first national democratic elections ever in 1996, re-electing Lee Teng-hui as president?
Myanmar (some of the answers are sarcastic, too).
Quote:

4. What movie actress is the grandmother of Fifty Shades of Grey star Dakota Johnson?
Tippi Hedren (I think that's Melanie Griffin's mother)
Quote:

5. The three U.S. cities with the largest convention centers are also the cities that hosted the most business gatherings in 2016. Name any one of the three.
Seattle (ha, ha, ha, ha)
Quote:

Kali, IIRC.
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these words and phrases? Foo fighters, goon, heebie-jeebies, keep up with the Joneses, malarkey, milquetoast, worrywart, yellow journalism, zap.
They are all slang from the 1910s.

Seaboe
Old 15 March 2017, 02:54 PM

Baseball I believe I have a goose egg this week.

1. Haven't a scoobie for an idea.

2. Watching 3D TV. Retino looks like retina.

3. I don't know. South Korea? Just because it has been in the news lately.

5. I'm guessing Chicago.

6. What name does Indiana Jones say in that movie that some say does not exist? Kaliba?

7. All were originally coined by mistake.
Old 16 March 2017, 06:19 PM

Tiramusu

Should be an optician testing the eye-sight

Chinese name, should be Taiwan or Singapore

Kali
Old 16 March 2017, 06:29 PM

Non-professionals, not professionals, for #2.
Old 21 March 2017, 11:47 AM

Hello, all. Time for another round.

Ken Jennings writes:
Are you ready for Tuesday Trivia? Sweep everything off your desk in dramatic fashion, like a character in a movie. Make a giant wall of clippings with a lattice of differently colored threads connecting everything. This is serious stuff.

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

Tiramisu is for people who need a little tiramisu, I guess.

Flash photography. The "red-eye" effect of a camera flash can be a sign of retinoblastoma if it only affects one of a child's two eyes. Lives have been saved by crappy family photos!

Taiwan has only been holding democratic presidential elections for twenty years.

Her mom in Melanie Griffith, which would make Hitchcock star Tippi Hendren her grandmother.

The nation's three most popular convention spots are Vegas, Chicago, and Orlando. In good company there, Chicago!

According to conventional colonial wisdom--as well as an even higher authority, the plot of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom!--they worshipped Kali, the Hindu goddess of death.

Probably a little easier than usual, but there's nothing wrong with that. All these words trace their etymologies back to the comic strips. The "funny pages," as the young people say.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Calling someone "Micawberish" or "a Uriah Heep" makes reference to what novel?

2. What Republican is the only man to run for U.S. president on a major-party ticket in the last one hundred years...while sporting a mustache?

3. What's the only language descended from Latin to be spoken as a national language in Eastern Europe today?

4. The Oklahoma Outlaws, Tampa Bay Bandits, San Antonio Gunslingers, and Orlando Renegades were among the ne'er-do-wells who played in what sports organization until 1985?

5. Thomas Bruce, the seventh Earl of Elgin, is best known for permanently changing the face of what world landmark?

6. Which chemical element was called "brimstone" in Middle English?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these TV favorites? Barney the Dinosaur, Dora the Explorer, Fred Flintstone, Garfield, Hello Kitty, Peter Rabbit, Rocket J. Squirrel, Thomas the Tank Engine.

Enjoy!
Old 21 March 2017, 12:00 PM

1. Calling someone "Micawberish" or "a Uriah Heep" makes reference to what novel?

David Copperfield

3. What's the only language descended from Latin to be spoken as a national language in Eastern Europe today?

Roumanian

5. Thomas Bruce, the seventh Earl of Elgin, is best known for permanently changing the face of what world landmark?

The Parthenon

6. Which chemical element was called "brimstone" in Middle English?

Sulphur
Closed Thread