snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Closed Thread

Old 08 December 2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
They're connected by bridges to another country. Which I'm not whiting out because it's so far off right that it's doesn't even qualify as a joke answer.
Has either Donald Trump or Fox News declared them all to be no-go areas?

I've been to Birmingham, Malmö, Osaka and Riga so should be able to come up with a guess at least... It may in fact be something to do with immigrant populations but that's a long shot. Other things I thought of and rejected were canals (Birmingham supposedly has more than Venice but I don't remember them being a feature in any of the others) and, like you, transport links or border links to other countries - mostly because I've been across that bridge, and also got a ferry from Osaka to China (Shanghai) - but that doesn't fit any others so far as I can see. And there would be more obvious cities to include if it was the case.

(I don't usually white out the answers to question 7 either because I thought the idea was that it's rare for anybody to get them straight off, and so we can discuss them?)

Last edited by Richard W; 08 December 2015 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08 December 2015, 06:48 PM

Glasses

I've only been to LA, Malmo and Portland (well, possibly Birmingham but it was a blink and you'll miss it driveby). Portland has a bridge across the Columbia river to Vancouver, Washington. I can't see how LA would have a bridge anywhere outside of LA itself.

Malmo is one stop away from the Copenhagen airport on the train (random bit of trivia).

What about estuaries? I do think the answer probably does have something to do with water.

Seaboe
Old 08 December 2015, 07:06 PM

Birmingham's about as far inland as any city in the UK, and isn't close to an estuary. Although there was an odd definition of "peninsula" in a question the other day so maybe one of Birmingham's canal basins counts as a large dock?

Riga's on a big river, and the others (whose locations I know without checking) are coastal.

(I still can't see how Ljubljana could be said to be on a peninsula - it's also miles inland... it's apparently at the confluence of two rivers though.)
Old 09 December 2015, 12:52 PM

2. The number of what gets halved by the process called meiosis?

Chromosomes

3. Who is the last surviving man to have been Staatspresident of the Union of South Africa?

FW de Klerk

5. The proposed state of Sequoyah would have made up the eastern half of what is now what U.S. state?

Oregon?

6. What sport's players can use a technique called a "googly"?

Cricket
Old 09 December 2015, 06:52 PM

Borg

For how many hours was Aron Ralston famously trapped in a Utah canyon in 2003? 127 Hours

2. The number of what gets halved by the process called meiosis? Chromosomes

3. Who is the last surviving man to have been Staatspresident of the Union of South Africa? FW de Clerk?

4. What Canadian novelist wrote the bestselling 2009 book Generation A? Douglas Copeland

5. The proposed state of Sequoyah would have made up the eastern half of what is now what U.S. state? Virginia? I mean, there's a West Virginia, so....

6. What sport's players can use a technique called a "googly"? Cricket

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these cities? Birmingham, U.K.; Chiang Mai, Thailand; Granada, Spain; Leon, Mexico; Los Angeles; Malmö, Sweden; Osaka; Portland, Oregon; Riga; Shezhen. They all have vowels in their names.
Old 15 December 2015, 09:52 AM

Good morning, Tuesday trivia fans. Here are:

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS
1. For how many hours was Aron Ralston famously trapped in a Utah canyon in 2003?
Ralston is the self-amputating hiker whose nerve-racking (literally) experience inspired the James Franco film 127 Hours.

2. The number of what gets halved by the process called meiosis?
Meiosis is the kind of cell division that reduced the number of chromosomes--in humans, from 46 to 23.

3. Who is the last surviving man to have been Staatspresident of the Union of South Africa?
Since the 2007 death of Marais Viljoen, F. W. de Klerk is the only surviving president of the apartheid-era South Africa he helped to dismantle.

4. What Canadian novelist wrote the bestselling 2009 book Generation A?
It was written 18 years after Generation X, his novel that popularized that name. He is Douglas Coupland.

5. The proposed state of Sequoyah would have made up the eastern half of what is now what U.S. state?
The state of Sequoyah, named for the man who developed the Cherokee alphabet, was proposed by the tribes of what was then "Indian Territory," in eastern Oklahoma.

6. What sport's players can use a technique called a "googly"?
A "googly" is one way to bowl a cricket ball. But listen, I'm sure we American fans have sports terms that sound just as dumb as "googly" to Commonwealth ears. Hold on, let me think. Hmmm. Never mind, maybe not.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these cities? Birmingham, U.K.; Chiang Mai, Thailand; Granada, Spain; Leon, Mexico; Los Angeles; Malmö, Sweden; Osaka; Portland, Oregon; Riga; Shezhen.
Their airports all fill out the third letter of their IATA code with an extra letter 'X'. As frequent flyers might now, the codes are: BHX, CNX, GRX, BJX, LAX, MMX, KIX, PDX, RIX, and SZX.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What color is the famous interior of Istanbul's Sultan Ahmed Mosque?

2. What Motown veteran had a #1 hit in May 1984 with a song that shares its title with the #1 hit single off Adele's new album?

3. Java, PHP, and Ruby, which all debuted twenty years ago in 1995, are all types of what?

4. What painter was born in Heraklion, Crete in 1541 and died in Toledo, Spain in 1614?

5. About 140,000 Grumman LLVs drive on U.S. roads despite being built with right-hand drive. What are these vehicles used for?

6. Who was ordered "to be apprehended and punished" in the 1521 Edict of Worms?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these famous people? Desi Arnaz, Eddie Foy, Tom Hayden, Ice Cube, Jesse James, Waylon Jennings, Martin Luther King, Bob Newhart, The Notorious B.I.G., Will Rogers, Mario Van Peebles, Bobby Vinton.

Enjoy!
Old 15 December 2015, 10:17 AM

That would be the blue mosque.

3. Java, PHP, and Ruby, which all debuted twenty years ago in 1995, are all types of what?

Programming languages

4. What painter was born in Heraklion, Crete in 1541 and died in Toledo, Spain in 1614?

Doménikos Theotokópoulos, better known as el Greco.

5. About 140,000 Grumman LLVs drive on U.S. roads despite being built with right-hand drive. What are these vehicles used for?

Post delivery and pick-up.

Martin Luther.
Old 15 December 2015, 10:52 AM

Whalephant

#7 can only be that they were all married to either Lucille Ball or Jane Fonda.
Old 15 December 2015, 11:42 AM

I agree with Floater on those answers, and add the following:

#2 is Lionel Richie. The album is Hello.
Old 15 December 2015, 11:51 AM

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Blue?

Programming languages

Domenikos Theotokopulos, better known as El Greco

Delivering mail

Martin Luther?
Old 15 December 2015, 12:10 PM

1. What color is the famous interior of Istanbul's Sultan Ahmed Mosque? Blue?

2. What Motown veteran had a #1 hit in May 1984 with a song that shares its title with the #1 hit single off Adele's new album? Lionel Richie - yes, it's him you're looking for.

3. Java, PHP, and Ruby, which all debuted twenty years ago in 1995, are all types of what? programming languages

4. What painter was born in Heraklion, Crete in 1541 and died in Toledo, Spain in 1614? El Greco?

5. About 140,000 Grumman LLVs drive on U.S. roads despite being built with right-hand drive. What are these vehicles used for? Mail delivery

6. Who was ordered "to be apprehended and punished" in the 1521 Edict of Worms? Martin Luther

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these famous people? Desi Arnaz, Eddie Foy, Tom Hayden, Ice Cube, Jesse James, Waylon Jennings, Martin Luther King, Bob Newhart, The Notorious B.I.G., Will Rogers, Mario Van Peebles, Bobby Vinton.

Hmmm... I feel like I should be able to get this one, but I'm not coming up with anything yet.
Old 15 December 2015, 01:32 PM

1. Blue
2. -
3. Programming languages
4. El Greco
5. (Guess) Snowploughs?
6. Martin Luther

Quote:
Are they all named after another famous person? (For example, Martin Luther)
Old 15 December 2015, 02:27 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Gold. I was going to say blue, but gold is more expensive.
Quote:

2. What Motown veteran had a #1 hit in May 1984 with a song that shares its title with the #1 hit single off Adele's new album?
Does anyone not know this? Lionel Ritchie, now known best as his daughter's father.
Quote:

Computer languages used on the internet. Is he trying to make up for last week's questions by making this week easier? Or am I missing the obvious?
Quote:

El Greco. Not to be confused with El Cid.
Quote:

Postal deliveries.
Quote:

I would say Martin Luther.
Quote:

What an interesting list. Eddie Foy was played by Bob Hope in The Seven Little Foys, but that's not something that's going to apply to the other men listed. And the fact they're men isn't unusual. They're listed in alphabetical order, so the order doesn't represent anything. I guess the most unusual thing about this list for me is that I actually know who all of them are.

Seaboe
Old 15 December 2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Does anyone not know this? ...
[raises hand meekly]

Nick
Old 15 December 2015, 06:11 PM

Glasses

Oops. Sorry, Nick. It's just one of those ubiquitous songs they seem to play everywhere, from the elevator to the grocery store.

Seaboe
Old 15 December 2015, 07:14 PM

Baseball

7. I know two of them share my birthday (Newhart and James)

Don't know about the others, though.
Old 15 December 2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
7. I know two of them share my birthday (Newhart and James)

Don't know about the others, though.
Definitely not true for King - his birthday's in January.
Old 15 December 2015, 07:37 PM

Blue.

Lionel Richie.

Programming languages.

El Greco

Postal service
?

Martin Luther.

Nothing comes to mind.
Old 16 December 2015, 03:24 PM

Borg

Blue

Hello, is it Lionel Ritchie you're looking for?

Computery language things. (I am not a computerist.)

No idea.

Mail trucks?

Martin Luther

Mario van Peebles played his father (Marvin/Melvin? Can't recall) in Badassss!
Ice Cube's son played Ice Cube in Straight Outta Compton
IIRC, Bobby Vinton's son played Bobby Vinton in GoodFellas
Waylon Jennings was a character in Walk The Line, so maybe his son played him as well?

Can't think of the others off hand
Old 16 December 2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
What immediately comes to mind, for three (or four) of them, is that they had "juniors" who were nearly as famous as, or more famous than, themselves. Martin Luther King is obvious, Desi Arnaz, Eddie Foy, and (if I'm not mistaken) Will Rogers fit this. I don't know about the others without Googling. I don't think it applies to Bob Newhart, though, which hangs me up.

Edit: I cheated, and it DOES work for Newhart, sort of. I'll hold off on posting how (even with spoiler tags) for a while.

Last edited by pob14; 16 December 2015 at 04:38 PM.
Closed Thread