snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 06 June 2015, 08:26 PM

TV Commercials you hate

"Hate" is probably a little strong, but the Life Alert ad with the little girl finding her grandmother lying on the floor makes me think "Call 911!" I realize she's probably scared/in shock, but she certainly looks old enough.
Old 07 June 2015, 03:51 AM

I don't actually hate the ad, but this seems like a good place to mention it. Next month, the Cardinals are repeating a theme night, Star Wars. In the current ad, they show Fredbird (the team mascot) and Darth Vader fighting with light sabers. What makes me nuts? Vader has the red light saber, and Fredbird has the blue one!
Old 07 June 2015, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Temple View Post
I don't actually hate the ad, but this seems like a good place to mention it. Next month, the Cardinals are repeating a theme night, Star Wars. In the current ad, they show Fredbird (the team mascot) and Darth Vader fighting with light sabers. What makes me nuts? Vader has the red light saber, and Fredbird has the blue one!
Why is that a problem? Darth Vader always has a red light saber.

http://www.notshallow.org/wp-content...rth-Vader1.jpg
Old 23 June 2015, 04:03 AM

I really hate the ads for "PC Matic" security software. One of their selling points is that their competitors' software is "made" in foreign countries, sometimes "the same countries where the viruses are originating." What exactly are they implying by that? That foreign programmers can't be trusted because other people in the same country created computer viruses? So basically marketing by appealing to xenophobia.
Old 23 June 2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
For a brlef, shining moment, I thought the mascot's name was Freebird, like maybe Lynyrd Skynyrd had bought the naming rights. Rock on, Freebird!
Old 23 June 2015, 02:22 PM

I hate the newish Ford commercial where a woman is driving around a city, with her voiceover saying "2 million [etc] people in this city and only one of me - I'll take those odds." It seems so confrontatory and non-cooperational. You don't have to dominate your home city - just find a good niche, possibly changing over the years, but part of the society, not its nemesis.
Old 23 June 2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Chestnut View Post
For a brlef, shining moment, I thought the mascot's name was Freebird, like maybe Lynyrd Skynyrd had bought the naming rights. Rock on, Freebird!
Our fan base skews southern enough that I could see that happening as another theme night. (When the Eagles and Dixie Chicks played at Busch Stadium in 2009 or '10, they promoted it to Cardinals fans on FB and learned that there are a lot of Cardinals fans who held a grudge against the Chicks.)
Old 23 June 2015, 04:04 PM

Icon101

I don't know if anyone has brought this up yet, but the new Milky Way commercials irk me. They include a tattoo artist misspelling a tattoo, a person lining the lanes in a street all wrong, and a number of ways people are just failing at their jobs because, what?, they're "eating a Milky Way."

Hey, have a Milky Way and possibly get fired!
Old 23 June 2015, 06:16 PM

Ellestar, I wonder if those are an attempt to 'flip' the Snickers commercials, where people are just not themselves when they are hungry, so they eat a Snickers (I'd recommend something healthier, but that's the concept anyway).
Old 23 June 2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
I hate the newish Ford commercial where a woman is driving around a city, with her voiceover saying "2 million [etc] people in this city and only one of me - I'll take those odds." It seems so confrontatory and non-cooperational. You don't have to dominate your home city - just find a good niche, possibly changing over the years, but part of the society, not its nemesis.
When we see that commercial, after 'one of me' one of us usually says, 'in this vehicle that's far too large for one person in city traffic'.
Old 23 June 2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
I hate the newish Ford commercial where a woman is driving around a city, with her voiceover saying "2 million [etc] people in this city and only one of me - I'll take those odds." It seems so confrontatory and non-cooperational.
I don't find it confrontational in tone but I can see how it could be taken that way. It just baffles me. I don't get what the odds that she's talking about actually are. Commercials really need to make some sense or what's the point?
Old 23 June 2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I hate the newish Ford commercial where a woman is driving around a city, with her voiceover saying "2 million [etc] people in this city and only one of me - I'll take those odds."
2,434,311 people - and they're all out to get you‼ Bwahahaha‼ It could be cheap play on people's racial and gender insecurities.
Old 23 June 2015, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Our fan base skews southern enough that I could see that happening as another theme night. (When the Eagles and Dixie Chicks played at Busch Stadium in 2009 or '10, they promoted it to Cardinals fans on FB and learned that there are a lot of Cardinals fans who held a grudge against the Chicks.)
Wow, 6-7 years after Natalie dropped the Bush bomb? Nobody holds a grudge like a country music fan.
Old 24 June 2015, 04:14 AM

Vegas Carols are back. I don't know why but that ad campaign annoys me more than most, and I really hate that song.
Old 24 June 2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Ellestar, I wonder if those are an attempt to 'flip' the Snickers commercials, where people are just not themselves when they are hungry, so they eat a Snickers (I'd recommend something healthier, but that's the concept anyway).
The reason people get cranky when they're hungry is because of low blood sugar. A candy bar is an excellent choice. And Snickers--what with the nuts and all--is more nutritious than many.
Old 24 June 2015, 02:24 PM

I mostly agree. I knew it was the blood sugar, and the nuts of Snickers makes it healthier than most candy bars. I was under the impression that an entire candy bar (say, the size shown in those commercials) is too much of a jolt of sugar. A small amount of quick sugar makes sense, along with something that will keep blood sugar at a moderate level longer. But I will readily concede that I am no expert. In fact, it has never been a personal issue for me, as I have always been someone who can go long periods without eating without a noticeable drop in blood sugar, at least as measured by mood, crankiness, hunger, ability to focus, etc. all those usual signs.
Old 24 June 2015, 02:35 PM

Shakes, weakness, passing out (in extteme cases).

IME, the key is to mix, or follow up, the sugar jolt with some protein, to prevent rebound. The nuts in a Snickers should do that just fine. It may not be the healthiest choice, but it's readily available, and some of the more health options may not be.
Old 24 June 2015, 05:14 PM

Nearly any car commercial. There are none that I like; the best ones are just neutral background noise. The rest are so insufferably smug and self-congratulatory that they make me want to kill.

Right now it's the one that pretends to be a movie promo. You can just hear the marketing people slapping each other on the backs about being so clever.
Old 24 June 2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Shakes, weakness, passing out (in extteme cases).

IME, the key is to mix, or follow up, the sugar jolt with some protein, to prevent rebound. The nuts in a Snickers should do that just fine. It may not be the healthiest choice, but it's readily available, and some of the more health options may not be.
Fat also helps prevent rebound. My late father, a rather brittle diabetic, on his doctor's advice, kept mini-Snickers bars around.
Old 25 June 2015, 02:37 PM

We have a radio commercial playing here for some nutritional supplement that is supposed to make you feel wonderful. Texas SuperFood ? It features people complaining about how they feel good all the time and would like to feel awful once in a while. I don't know why, but people complaining because they feel good all the time makes me want to change the station.