snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 25 January 2017, 05:22 PM

Baseball

Flying back from Europe the other day, I watched Ghostbusters. It is not a film I would typically go out of my way to watch, but as the airline I was with had a rather unattractive selection of films, I picked it.

I was pleasantly surprised. It was fresh, funny and well paced. But the part that I liked the most was that it was different enough from the original to be its own film (not a scene by scene reshoot) but held enough commonality with the old film that it is recognisable and is not a complete re-imagining**.

I also liked the fact that the premise is contemporary, but not so into magical realism that I become separated from the narrative.

And like Gamergate (which I did not follow too closely), the naysayers are in the wrong. It was a well done film, a tasteful homage, a comedic hit and overall, great entertainment.

**Every producer/director trying to make a version of the 3 Musketeers could learn a lesson from this.
Old 26 January 2017, 09:41 AM

I still reckon Kate McKinnon was the best part.
Old 11 February 2017, 12:30 AM

Mouse

Saw Lego Batman. It was nothing but cute and charming as heck from beginning to end. DC Comics, if you can't get the guys behind the DCAU to make your movies, go for the Lego guys. Because the fact you keep drafting Zack Snyder given how badly he's screwed the pooch with Batman v. Superman, makes me wonder what kind of blackmail material he has on you.

For the record, I'm holding back on my Zack Snyder rants. You should think me, because I do so many frothing rants about the guy, if something were to happen to him, I'm probably pretty high up on the suspects list. Though it may be one of those things where there will be a room full of countless cheering witnesses, but apparently no one saw anything.
Old 17 February 2017, 07:22 PM

I purchased and watched Justice League Dark. It was....OK. Afraid I like the concept better than I liked the execution. In particular, I didn't think the voice acting for the two lead characters (John Constantine and Zatanna) was very impressive. It had a few good moments, though.

While I was ordering the disc, I also picked up Batman: Under the Red Hood, which I had seen before. It's still quite good in my opinion. Definitely more brutal than most of the animated DC stuff. The confrontation at the end is a particular favorite. It's also probably the interpretation of the Joker that I find closest in spirit to the comics, at least when the comics are being grim.
Old 18 February 2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
I purchased and watched Justice League Dark. It was....OK. Afraid I like the concept better than I liked the execution. In particular, I didn't think the voice acting for the two lead characters (John Constantine and Zatanna) was very impressive. It had a few good moments, though.
So, worth borrowing/renting to watch, but not buying? I've fallen way behind in my DC animated movies, I'm still waiting to see Gods and Monsters, and that's been out for over a year.
Old 01 March 2017, 03:13 PM

Bought Barbie Video Game Hero today. Certainly was not expecting the Warriors reference in an otherwise average Barbie movie.
Old 04 March 2017, 11:58 PM

Mouse

Saw Logan. It was actually a damn good movie. Minus the big action sequences, it could almost be construed as a noir-ish character study of Logan in the not-too-distant future of the X-Men verse.

Of course, a large reason for this movie is the R Rating, which allows not only for multiple F-bombs, but the violence is raw and bloody. It was always one of the more annoying aspects of the X-Men movie franchise that the PG-13 rating hemmed them in and made it so that most of Wolverine's fight scenes were pallid and neutered, which is kind of stupid, given that his superpower gives him big metal steak knives strapped to his hands.

I hate to sound like Buckets of Blood-guy from Shortpacked! but having a character like that and the most gore seen, is like a spot of blood, is pretty silly. But I know how it is with our NFBSKed up rating systems. You can have your hero gun down mooks by the score and so long as only a spot of blood is shown, you get a PG-13 rating. If you show the actual effects of all this violence, show someone dying with their guts hanging out, then that's an R Rating. And let's not even get into how NFBSKed up the MMPA is regarding sex. According to them, it's far more evil for a penis to slide into a vagina rather than an axe to go into someone's skull.

Anyway, a fine decent superhero outing for Wolverine. Nice to see his Gary Stu-ness toned down, to have him as a sweating, striving human than the cartoonish caricature the other movies had turned him into. And yes, I am trying very hard to not put spoilers in this. You're welcome.
Old 07 March 2017, 05:53 PM

Rented The Producers a couple of weeks ago. DH and I had a good old-fashioned date.

Old 11 March 2017, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Rented The Producers a couple of weeks ago. DH and I had a good old-fashioned date.

Which one?

Been watching the old Police Story films myself. I'd only seen the first one before.
Old 20 March 2017, 01:43 AM

Went with some friends and family to fight the crowds going to Beauty and the Beast to get seats for Kong... only to have to also fight to get the Kong seats. Cinema was packed today!

Wow. Yes, I am an unabashed fan of the original King Kong and the Jack Black remake (not so much the 70's redo), and a kaiju fan in general. Pretty sure that didn't sway me out of true in thinking that Kong absolutely rocked. Not a second wasted, grabbed my (and everyone I was with) attention and ran with it right to the end.

Post-credits teaser was also excellent, perhaps especially for a somewhat frustrated Godzilla fan. The end credits got me going, with the notation near the end that certain kaiju names were copyrighted... what? Why? And then - Oh! Yesss.

That last bit makes sense if you've seen the movie, saw that bit in the end credits, and then saw the teaser. Really, it does.
Old 20 March 2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Saw Logan. It was actually a damn good movie. Minus the big action sequences, it could almost be construed as a noir-ish character study of Logan in the not-too-distant future of the X-Men verse.
Saw it on the weekend and agree with you (and your comments on the R rating). I watched X Men Apocalypse the night before and it felt so bloated with so many good and bad characters with no one really getting enough time. Logan felt more like an indie movie but with action scenes.

Dafne Keen was brilliant. That kid can sure give the stink eye.
Old 20 March 2017, 07:31 PM

Icon220

I had a mini marathon due to having 2 days off for my birthday.

Deadpool

Beauty & The Beast

Ted
Old 22 March 2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu View Post
Which one?

Been watching the old Police Story films myself. I'd only seen the first one before.
The 1968 one. Springtime for Hitler, etc.

Recently a friend of mine posted on her FB page that she watched La La Land--hated it.
Old 24 March 2017, 12:06 AM

Kuboh and the Two Strings is coming to Netflix in April. I haven't seen it yet, but because of that I plan to. I've been impressed with the Laika stuff I've seen so far. Coraline was fan-freakin'-tastic, and Paranorman was just as good. That ending to Paranorman, though! Intense!
Old 24 March 2017, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
Kuboh and the Two Strings is coming to Netflix in April. I haven't seen it yet, but because of that I plan to. I've been impressed with the Laika stuff I've seen so far. Coraline was fan-freakin'-tastic, and Paranorman was just as good. That ending to Paranorman, though! Intense!
Kubo was excellent in every way. Well worth your time.

Signed,

Owns Kubo on Blu-Ray and has watched it thrice so far.
Old 30 March 2017, 11:53 AM

Watched the Legends of the Hidden Temple movie. It was surprisingly good for a movie based on a game show.
Old 06 April 2017, 10:01 AM

I saw Power Rangers on Monday. Even with all the cliches (and no "Nice stereo!"), it was better than the other two movies. Also, it took a plot that was largely tooled around whatever the creators had to work with and streamlined it beautifully.

Also, I have found High School Musical: O Desafio (A Brazillian remake of an Argentine film based on the first Stories From East High book). It's interesting to watch, but it's unsubtitled and I don't speak Portugese (I have however read the book). What weirds me out is that the Sharpay character (here named Paula) has two lackeys (who are derived from characters from the Argentine version).
Old 06 April 2017, 10:19 AM

I went and saw the new Ghost In The Shell and was really disappointed. I like the original anime film but it's not hugely important to me so I was prepared to give the new adaptation a fair go and accept that they'd change a whole bunch of things. That's just the way adaptations go.

It was really lifeless, it just had no heart behind it. If someone hadn't seen the original I guess they'd find some of the tech FX interesting (but not TOO interesting, we've seen it all before in lots of other films and TV shows) and also some of the cinematography but they'd find the characters dull and uninteresting and the plot hackneyed and unoriginal. (The plot has a lot in common with the 1995 anime film but has MANY differences.)

The visuals were perhaps the best part of the film but most of the better shots were lifted directly from the anime, so if you've already seen the anime the new version doesn't really have a lot to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu View Post
I saw Power Rangers on Monday. Even with all the cliches (and no "Nice stereo!"), it was better than the other two movies. Also, it took a plot that was largely tooled around whatever the creators had to work with and streamlined it beautifully.
I missed the Power Rangers craze because I was too old when they came out so I have pretty much zero nostalgia for the franchise but I found a fair bit to enjoy in the film. It's competent and a bit of fun.
Old 12 April 2017, 07:39 AM

Saw the new Ghost in the Shell movie.

If you're a fan of the original, or even if you're not, don't bother. This was basically just a remake of Robocop with a bunch of scenes from the 90s anime movie. If you need a GitS fix, hunt down a copy of Stand Alone Complex on DVD (don't get the Blu-Ray version, I hear it's a horribly bad production) or watch Arise on Netflix.
Old 12 April 2017, 08:53 AM

Ha, I tracked down a copy of Stand Alone Complex and just finished watching it last night. It's pretty uneven (apparently they had a bunch of guest animators do episodes?) and getting through the earlier episodes was a bit of a slog at times but there's a still a few gems in there and the last few episodes really lift the overall quality.

There's "Stand Alone" episodes which are pretty much one off stories and "Complex" episodes which cover the main storyline so some people just watch the Complex episodes but a bunch of the Stand Alone episodes flesh out the characters and add nuance to the main story.

But of course the main reason to watch all those Stand Alone episodes is so you don't miss any of the antics of those delightful tachikoma spider tanks: