snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 18 June 2015, 05:24 AM

I finally got around to watching "Whiplash," which was well made and really intense. I don't agree with the movie's premise, which seems to be "Abusive sociopaths are really effective teachers," but I enjoyed watching it anyway. Also, drum solos!
Old 18 June 2015, 10:28 AM

I got to watch Reptilicus in an actual movie theatre last weekend which was a real treat. It's Denmark's answer to Godzilla and their first (and last!) giant monster movie. It's ridiculously awful.

Unfortunately the US version lacks a bunch of scenes that were in the Danish version such as this snappy song.

I also read a film recently - I found a .pdf of "Tonight, He Comes" which got rewritten and rewritten and eventually became the Will Smith superhero movie "Hancock". A warning: the original script a LOT darker than Smith's movie. This article has a short rundown of the story if you can't be bothered reading the entire script and you're at all curious about how different the original script was to the finished movie.
Old 18 June 2015, 11:04 AM

Gutter Monkey, glad you had a good time, and thanks for the link to the script! I'll read it tonight. I liked Hancock well enough.
Old 18 June 2015, 11:30 PM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
I saw Jurassic World tonight and the first 3/4 was pretty darned good but the ending left me feeling a little deflated. It was so close to being a great film but that dumb contrived ending ....
Thought it was okay. Nowhere near as good as Jurassic Park, but hey, I wanted Chris Pratt and awesome dino action and I got what I wanted. I do wonder though, why Claire, or however the hell you spell her name, wouldn't take off her damn heels even as SHTF. Though, given that she's later shown somehow managing to outrun a T Rex in said heels, maybe she wears them because she's secretly the Flash, so she wears the heels in order to give the dinos a fighting chance when it comes to catching her.
Old 19 June 2015, 12:14 AM

The reason she didn't ditch the heels is supposed to be because she decided (according to the actress who played her) that the only thing worse than running through a jungle in heels was running through a jungle barefoot.
Old 19 June 2015, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
The reason she didn't ditch the heels is supposed to be because she decided (according to the actress who played her) that the only thing worse than running through a jungle in heels was running through a jungle barefoot.
I'd agree with her on that point. On the show "Naked and Afraid" the fact that they get dropped off with no cloths and no shoes is what always squaks me out. I'd go naked in a tropical jungle, but not even a pair of flip-flops to protect my feet from twigs, muck, bugs and the rest of the stuff on the ground; no thank you.
Old 19 June 2015, 03:56 AM

Of course, if it had been a Joss Whedon film there'd have been a 50% chance she'd have done the entire movie barefoot.
Old 19 June 2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Thought it was okay. Nowhere near as good as Jurassic Park, but hey, I wanted Chris Pratt and awesome dino action and I got what I wanted.
Yeah, it was okay but as good as the original. The RedLetterMedia guys pointed out that it was soft reboot and was as much a remake of the original as a sequel and as well as having many direct references to the original it's surprising how many of the plot beats mirror the plot of JP1, starting with the young siblings whose parents are getting divorced visiting the island without their parents, etc etc etc..
Old 21 June 2015, 12:38 AM

Mouse

Just saw Inside Out and as cliché as it sounds, my thoughts on this movie can be summed as this: So many feels...

Dammit, Pixar! I try so hard to keep up my cynical bitch rep and you keep hitting me right in the feels! Now I'll lose my subscription to Misanthropes Monthly and do you know how hard it is to get one of those!

But seriously, go see that movie. I'm starting to wonder if it'll unseat Wall-E as my favorite Pixar film.
Old 21 June 2015, 02:44 AM

Inside Out was definitely worth seeing. I loved the visuals (particularly the textures of the hair and skin of the emotion characters), and the voice cast was great. I thought the story was good - I appreciated the well-thought out workings of the inner landscape.
Old 21 June 2015, 04:23 AM

I finally got around to watching the 1961 kaiju film Mothra. For a movie made famous for a giant moth terrorizing helpless humans it had a distinct lack of a giant moth for the majority of the runtime. In fact [spoilers]the movie is only 100 minutes long and the larval version of Mothra doesn't turn up until 45 minutes into the film and the adult moth version of Mothra doesn't appear until 84 minutes in! But then the humans all go "Well all our weapons are completely useless so let's just give Mothra what it wants and hope it leaves us alone" so I guess the scriptwriter had to hold it back as long as possible.[/spoilers]
Old 25 June 2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Just saw Inside Out and as cliché as it sounds, my thoughts on this movie can be summed as this: So many feels...

Dammit, Pixar! I try so hard to keep up my cynical bitch rep and you keep hitting me right in the feels! Now I'll lose my subscription to Misanthropes Monthly and do you know how hard it is to get one of those! ....
Mrs. from Georgia and I saw it in a very uncrowded theater (we did go to an early show, though). Maybe it's because our granddaughter just turned one, and we saw a lot of her in Baby Riley, but we loved the movie and I wept silently for a good bit of it. Haven't done that since the time I was away from home all summer once, teaching in a special program, and our kids were very small, and I saw the original Muppet Movie in a theater and kept thinking of how much my kids would like it and how much I missed them....

Some of my students saw me crying and asked what was wrong. I still get letters and cards from them now, thirty years and more later.

Anyway, Inside Out is way up there in my Pixar list, certainly in the top three.
Old 26 June 2015, 01:44 PM

Just watched Never Let Me Go on HBO, and it pissed me off, of course. Where were the rescuers, the terrorists, the underground fanatics that would have taken them away to safety? And I've heard the phrase "being British" all my life, stay calm and carry on, chin up, etc., but I don't think anyone is that British.

I suppose I'll need to read the novel now, to see if the author can give any more insight into how the main characters, or that entire section of society, could have been enticed into accepting their roles so stoically.

Old 26 June 2015, 02:43 PM

HC, I read the book, and was reminded of it recently. Yes, it seems odd that they would accept that they were created for that purpose, and that there was no point in trying to escape or rebel or other. I found that it made more sense to think of the group (trying not to spoil the story for others) as an allegory for human live in general: we have out youth, and as we grow up we take on obligations until we are worn out and used up, and the meaning we find is in the relationships and beauty we may find along the way. This is especially brought out in that there are many other than the one they start with where the students are really just warehoused, taught nothing more than what is necessary to get by until they are used up by society.
Old 27 June 2015, 06:45 PM

Flatmate and I went to go see Jurassic World last night. While I thoroughly enjoyed it (especially the obvious comparisons of the park dinosaurs and animal welfare) and got what I wanted out of it, there were a few points that left me cold.
1) No one involved apparently understands how clicker training works.
2) The most developed female character is a velociraptor. Sure, Claire gets her moments, but mostly she's the-cold-career-woman-who-learns-to-love.
3) Whited out for spoilers: That kiss between Claire and Owen was completely unnecessary, IMO. I actually threw my hands up in resignation when this happened, much to flatmate's amusement.
Old 28 June 2015, 07:56 AM

It's an oldie, but "Wag the Dog" was on late last night so I recorded it and watched it today. I would have laughed more but I am afraid that it might be more accurate then we would like to think. Also good cast.

Basically it is a political satire in which a political sex scandal is about to break and a spin doctor played by Robert De Niro hires a producer (Dustin Hofman) to create a fictenious way to distract the public.
Old 30 June 2015, 01:58 PM

My nephew has really gotten into Thunderbirds (Thunderbirds Are Go is a big reason, although he also watches the originals), so I decided to play Thunderbird 6 for him. It's not bad, although the first hour is too talky (the plot is about kidnapping Lady Penelope and trying to coerce a fake radio call so the baddies can get Thunderbirds 1 and 2). He fell asleep just before the exciting climax and Andersongasm (aka that huge explosion).

Then I decided to go off and re-watch Aeon Flux. I suppose the movie could have been something cool, but there is no way in hell that it's a proper Aeon Flux movie. The problem, of course, lies in the fact that the cartoon series didn't have much of an established canon, where the movie has to fill out 90 minutes with a plot. Too bad they couldn't use a better one.
Old 09 July 2015, 03:24 PM

Teen Beach 2: This takes the premise of the first movie and twists it in all kinds of weird ways. Ignoring the end of the last movie, Tanner and Lela get transported to Brady and Mack's world, throwing Wet Side Story into turmoil as people just start disappearing. Meanwhile, school starts up again for Brady and Mack, meaning that airheaded Tanner and budding engineer Lela are completely out of their depth. It ends on the weirdest temporal paradox ever, while cranking the metafiction up to Thursday Next levels.
Old 19 July 2015, 03:20 PM

I haven't been watching many movies, but now I've watched two in as many days. I saw Ant-Man with my son yesterday, and I enjoyed it. Disclaimer: I am a casual watcher of superhero movies and not a comic book buff. I thought it was a lot of fun.

Then, because I love Michael Pena, admire Cesar Chavez, and had been meaning to do it, I watched Cesar Chavez on Netflix. I'm old enough to remember the grape boycott, so there were many events recounted in that movie that brought back memories. I thought it was well worth watching.
Old 19 July 2015, 03:59 PM

Mr. Holmes. Excellent drama that manages to say something new about the character. Ian McKellan is great, but you expect that.