snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 04 April 2015, 10:00 PM

I remember feeling that way when I saw Buckaroo Banzai in the theater. Some friends seemed to think it had some brilliant dialogue, but I couldn't hear half of it.
Old 05 April 2015, 12:51 AM

I watched The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness last night on Netflix (documentary about Studio Ghibli, Hayao Miyazaki and the last movie he made before his retirement, The Wind Rises). I'm a big fan of Miyazaki's work, before and during Ghibli, so any kudos I give it are most likely suspect due to bias. but it was great.
Old 05 April 2015, 05:12 AM

My sister was over and we watched Big Hero 6, which I'd already seen but she hadn't.
Old 06 April 2015, 09:10 PM

Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
I watched The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness last night on Netflix (documentary about Studio Ghibli, Hayao Miyazaki and the last movie he made before his retirement, The Wind Rises). I'm a big fan of Miyazaki's work, before and during Ghibli, so any kudos I give it are most likely suspect due to bias. but it was great.
I watched Howl's Moving Castle the other day, Flim4 in the UK is having a Ghibli Season & I'm recording all the ones I've not seen yet, & watching them when I can.
Old 07 April 2015, 05:23 PM

A friend brought over The World's End (Simon Pegg) the other night. Enjoyed it! But then, I enjoyed Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, so that wasn't unexpected.
Old 07 April 2015, 05:38 PM

I have been meaning to see that but have never quite gotten around to it.
Old 08 April 2015, 02:56 PM

Finally got around to watching Miss Meadows. I liked it, but was a little confused by the ending. (Also, bits happened during the climax that simply strain my disbelief)
Old 07 May 2015, 04:24 PM

Also have gotten around to seeing Into The Woods. Not terrible, but there were a lot of problems that stem mostly from translating a two-act structure into a single intermission-less movie.
Old 24 May 2015, 08:56 PM

I saw Tomorrowland and, personally, really liked it. Some good references for us long-time SF fans, good performances, a couple of costumes I wouldn't mind having, and a good message, albeit they perhaps push it at you a little too hard. Actually, though, the message is a little nuanced, so that helps.
Old 24 May 2015, 09:23 PM

Quote:
A friend brought over The World's End (Simon Pegg) the other night. Enjoyed it!
The best thing about The World's End is that it has High Wycombe station in it. They say they're going to meet outside High Wycombe station, and then they do! They even arrive on the right platform (or one of the right platforms) assuming they've all come from London!

... OK, that's not actually the best thing about The World's End. But it made me happy. It was a gratuitous moment of geographical accuracy of a kind that is rare in films. You can see The Bootlegger, one of the better pubs in town, in the background of one of the shots in that scene. (Only if you know you're looking for it, though).
Old 24 May 2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
... OK, that's not actually the best thing about The World's End.
Nope, that's just about the best thing. Heh he. Actually it was pretty entertaining. It made me want to see Hot Fuzz. But not the zombie one.
Old 25 May 2015, 11:46 AM

Saw Mad Max: Fury Road yesterday. Incredible, excellent. Though probably less so if you're not into the genre. Went in uncertain (loyal fan of the originals), came out looking forward to the next one.

Also watched Stripped on Netflix the other day. Saw a bunch of my favorite web- and paper-comic artists being interviewed! Heard the actual voice of Bill Watterson! Saw Jeph Jacques' piercings! It was nice.
Old 25 May 2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Nope, that's just about the best thing. Heh he. Actually it was pretty entertaining. It made me want to see Hot Fuzz. But not the zombie one.
Hot Fuzz was definitely my favourite of the trilogy. Extremely funny and witty. And awesome action scenes!
Old 26 May 2015, 05:54 AM

Massive spoilers for Poltergeist (2015) in white!

My buddy and I wanted to catch a movie and nothing else in the time slots available really looked appealing, so we sort of dragged ourselves into the new remake of Poltergeist. For bonus points it was showing in 3D, which neither of us were really enthused about; by the end we were both pleasantly surprised at it's inclusion, with only a few obvious "this is only here for 3D" moments in the film. Overall I found myself really enjoying the film, even though I knew where it was going ahead of time from having watched the original.

Massive spoilers for Poltergeist (2015) in white!

I particularly enjoyed the change made to the family's situation: the writing really seemed to capture the frustrations that come with financial difficulty (and moving under unpleasant circumstances), from the search to a new job to the tensions over which family member will be filling what role in the family's reorganization. Watching the father make a poor medium-term financial decision in the hopes of short-term happiness via purchasing gifts for his family, only to have them blow up in his face, made me wince as it hit a nerve. The kids seemed a bit generic to me, but it felt like there was real chemistry (even if it wasn't always positive) between the parents and later on between the paranormal expert and the television star (although brief).

As for the scary bits themselves I was really digging the "keep it off screen, let the viewer imagine it" thing they had going on for a while. The young daughter playing with the stick/underground spirit was suitably creepy, and even the oozy/ill defined hands clawing out of the mud in the basement got the the hair on the back of my neck standing up. The weeping willow tree scared the living daylights out of me as a kid (and I was way too young to be watching this movie, but my older brother took me ) and the addition of CGI only made it creepier; however the complete removal of the swimming pool incident bummed me out, as that also scared me silly as a kid, and I would have loved to see what they could have done to update it.

What completely, utterly, beyond all reasonable doubt ruined it for me was sending a remote control toy, with a camera, into the netherrealm. I know, I know, suspension of disbelief, but I just couldn't make my mind wrap around it. It jarred me right out of the story and left me shaking my head. I would have preferred to not see what was on the other side all together, but if they had to show us, surely it could have been through the eyes of one of the three characters that gets sucked in and not a stupid quad-copter? Arrrg!

The only thing that felt like a hole in the plot (pun so intended) was the fact that the television star had real, tangible proof that paranormal activities were real. He was injured repeatedly, presumably while incidents were being filmed. At that point shouldn't there be heaps of evidence available to the scientific community? Why is the school's paranormal department in a tiny, ill-reputed office and not in an enormous, high tech laboratory with the other sciences? Instead of a gimmicky reality show he should have single handedly reworked our understanding of physics, at the very least. Where are the revolutions in religion and spirituality? This dude has mounds of proof that spirits are real, can interact with the world, and pose a threat! Holy shit, this should take place in a world completely different than our own based on this one throw-away subplot!

One final tiny aside: They totally blew the "they only moved the headstones" wad way too early. I guess they assumed everyone already knew the twist?
Old 11 June 2015, 11:34 AM

Alligator

I saw Jurassic World tonight and the first 3/4 was pretty darned good but the ending left me feeling a little deflated. It was so close to being a great film but that dumb contrived ending ....
Old 11 June 2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Saw Mad Max: Fury Road yesterday. Incredible, excellent. Though probably less so if you're not into the genre.
Finally got around to seeing that yesterday! I totally agree with you; I loved it. The funny thing is that I'm usually not interested in action/shoot-em-up type movies, but "Fury Road" is so wonderfully bizarre and visually gorgeous and sometimes hilarious that it won me over.

I've never seen any of the other Mad Max movies, but they're in my Netflix queue now.
Old 11 June 2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
I saw Jurassic World tonight and the first 3/4 was pretty darned good but the ending left me feeling a little deflated. It was so close to being a great film but that dumb contrived ending ....
So kind of like The Lost World?

We watched The Judge on Sunday while waiting for the new GoT episode. It started off just having the dvr on the channel in case we were late and needed to back track for GoT. But actually got into the movie, really enjoyed it and parts of it were more relatable then I would of liked.
Old 13 June 2015, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
They stole it from Walking With Dinosaurs.

But it was still enjoyable.
Old 13 June 2015, 12:41 PM

Do they squirt the dinosaurs with water and they all disintegrate? Or - wait, I know - it turns out the dinosaurs were dead all along!
Old 13 June 2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
It made me want to see Hot Fuzz. But not the zombie one.
I think Shaun of the Dead is still my favourite of the "Cornetto trilogy", although that and Hot Fuzz are both pretty good. (I thought The World's End was the weakest).

While we're on the subject of local pub trivia connected to Wright / Pegg / Frost films, the pub used for the interior shots and gunfight in Hot Fuzz is another one that's round here - it's The Royal Standard of England just outside Beaconsfield. Worth a visit if you're in the area, although you might not recognise it from the film.

The only film I've seen in the cinema lately is Mad Max: Fury Road, which I enjoyed. I re-watched In Bruges on DVD the other day too.