snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Glurge Gallery

Old 10 February 2015, 06:12 AM

Crash Did you know? (Trivia/Frakenglurge combo)

I got the following today from my glurge network. I usually receive the same emails over and over but I didn't recognize this one. Also, I searched on the forums and the main site and while some are old (for example, the Einstein bee quote) most are new.
Quote:
Did You Know ?

1. Your shoes are the first thing people subconsciously notice about you. Wear nice shoes.

2. If you sit for more than 11 hours a day, there's a 50% chance you'll die within the next 3 years.

3. There are at least 6 people in the world who look exactly like you. There's a 9% chance that you'll meet one of them in your lifetime.

4. Sleeping without a pillow reduces back pain and keeps your spine stronger.

5. A personís height is determined by their father, and their weight is determined by their mother.

6. If a part of your body "falls asleep", You can almost always "wake it up" by shaking your head.

7. There are three things the human brain cannot resist noticing, food, attractive people and danger.

8. Right-handed people tend to chew food on their right side

9. Putting dry tea bags in gym bags or smelly shoes will absorb the unpleasant odor.

10. According to Albert Einstein, if honey bees were to disappear from earth, humans would be dead within 4 years.

11. There are so many kinds of apples, that if you ate a new one everyday, it would take over 20 years to try them all.

12. You can survive without eating for weeks, but you will only live 11 days without sleeping.

13. People who laugh a lot are healthier than those who donít.

14. Laziness and inactivity kills just as many people as smoking.

15. A human brain has a capacity to store 5 times as much information as Wikipedia.

16. Our brain uses the same amount of power as a 10-watt light bulb!!

17. Our body gives enough heat in 30 mins. to boil 1.5 liters of water!!

18. The Ovum egg is the largest cell and the sperm is the smallest cell !!

19. Stomach acid (conc. HCL) is strong enough to dissolve razor blades!!

20. Take a 10-30 minute walk every day & while you walk, SMILE. It is the ultimate antidepressant.

21. Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day.

22. When you wake up in the morning, pray to ask God's guidance for your purpose, today.

23. Eat more foods that grow on trees and plants and eat less food that is manufactured in plants.

24. Drink green tea and plenty of water. Eat blueberries, broccoli, and almonds.

25. Try to make at least three people smile each day.

26. Don't waste your precious energy on gossip, energy vampires, issues of the past, negative thoughts or things you cannot control. Instead invest your energy in the positive present moment.

27. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a college kid with a maxed out charge card.

28. Life isn't fair, but it's still good.

29. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone. Forgive them for everything.

30. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.

31. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.

32. Make peace with your past so it won't spoil the present.

33. Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.

34. No one is in charge of your happiness except you.

35. Frame every so-called disaster with these words: 'In five years, will this matter?'

36. Help the needy, Be generous! Be a 'Giver' not a 'Taker'.

37. What other people think of you is none of your business.

38. Time heals everything.

39. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.

40. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends will. Stay in touch.

41. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.

42. Each night before you go to bed, pray to God and be thankful for what you'll accomplish, today.

43. Remember that you are too blessed to be stressed.

Now: Forward this to your friends to help them lead a happier and healthier life, too!
I think No. 3 is one of the strangest trivia claims I've ever seen. Also, the abrupt change between Nos. 19 and 20 lead me to think this is where two formerly separate chain emails were probably combined.

Brian
Old 10 February 2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
20. Take a 10-30 minute walk every day & while you walk, SMILE. It is the ultimate antidepressant.
Grrrr!

~Psihala
(*Not if you heard "SMILE!" about a billion times while growing up!)
Old 10 February 2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
1. Your shoes are the first thing people subconsciously notice about you. Wear nice shoes.
Ambiguous phrasing: are they the first of the things people notice subconsciously, or subconsciously the first thing people notice? If the former, how many things do people notice consciously before they subconsciously notice your shoes?

Quote:
Another thing Big Pharma doesn't want us to know?

Quote:
21. Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day.
But not more than 11 hours a day, because then you'll die. Somewhere between ten minutes and eleven hours is the sweet spot where you'll live forever.

Quote:
27. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a college kid with a maxed out charge card.
Which of those people drinks green tea and plenty of water, and eats blueberries, broccoli, and almonds? I never had a maxed-out credit card, but I ate lots of ramen and Doritos when I was short on funds in college.

Quote:
40. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends will. Stay in touch.
Actually, I'm pretty sure my job is what pays my medical bills, not my friends.

Quote:
I thought that what you think of me is none of my business?

Seriously, though, this is remarkably condescending. Plenty of people, even those who have email, don't have "all [they] need."

Also, whoever wrote this needs some sense slapped into them, so clearly they don't have all they need, either.
Old 10 February 2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
26. Don't waste your precious energy on gossip, energy vampires, issues of the past, negative thoughts or ...
...trivia chain mail and glurge.
Old 10 February 2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
3. There are at least 6 people in the world who look exactly like you. There's a 9% chance that you'll meet one of them in your lifetime.
I've met them all, already. They were all relatives on my mother's side. Strange, how that works.

Quote:
5. A personís height is determined by their father, and their weight is determined by their mother.
I'm neither as tall as my father, nor the same weight as my mother.

Quote:
9. Putting dry tea bags in gym bags or smelly shoes will absorb the
unpleasant odor.
And replace with another unpleasant odour!

Quote:
And only razor blades!

Quote:
Do or do not, there is no try!

Quote:
38. Time heals everything.
Except an incurable disease.

Quote:
42. Each night before you go to bed, pray to God and be thankful for what you'll accomplish, today.
If it's night, isn't today already over? and so too late to accomplish anything?

Such a strange mixture of weird "factoids" and glurge...
Old 10 February 2015, 04:22 PM

I am guessing that no. 16 means that the brain uses 10 watts of power.
Old 11 February 2015, 12:37 AM

There are 6 people who look like me? Yeah, I guess. One of them was Ulrike Meinhof.

So now it's down to five.
Old 11 February 2015, 09:22 AM

Did You Know ?

Quote:
4. Sleeping without a pillow reduces back pain and keeps your spine stronger.
Funny, with all the experts my Mum has seen about her bad back, none have suggested this.

Quote:
5. A person’s height is determined by their father, and their weight is determined by their mother.
I knew and family once where the children were tall like their mother not short like their father. And one of my Aunts daughter is a shortie like us. Her father is average height.

Quote:
10. According to Albert Einstein, if honey bees were to disappear from earth, humans would be dead within 4 years.
This is hardly Einsteins field of expertise.
Quote:
13. People who laugh a lot are healthier than those who don’t.
Except for the crazy or nervous ones...think about it.

Quote:
I have heard this as dissolve penny or eat a whole in the carpet.

Quote:
Do Snopster count

Quote:
I don't know, I can make a lot from very little, I have been doing this for several years.

Quote:
30. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
I am sure some people do, especially if you are a doctor.

Quote:
40. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends will.
I am hoping my disability insurance (through work) will.

Quote:

43. Remember that you are too blessed to be stressed.
These are big calls and go against 33. (not knowing what others are going though) take your own advice glurge writer.

Last edited by Dasla; 11 February 2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11 February 2015, 05:37 PM

Teacher

Quote:
5. A person’s height is determined by their father, and their weight is determined by their mother.
My husband takes after his mother's family in the height department; his sister takes after their father's side. Which means he's about 2 feet taller than her.
Old 11 February 2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
I have heard this as dissolve penny or eat a whole in the carpet.
HCl will not dissolve a penny - it does very little to copper. If you make a nick in the penny so that you get through to the zinc underneath, you can create a hollow penny. It will dissolve the zinc (which is most of the penny) and leave the copper behind. Pretty cool trick, actually.
Old 11 February 2015, 11:51 PM

Mouse

Quote:
Yeah, when I think back to being a college kid where I basically survived on Ramen...newsflash OP writer, eating cheap doesn't necessary equal eating healthy. In fact, too often it's the opposite.
Old 12 February 2015, 12:04 AM

Quote:
I'll be sure to tell that to the homeless people in the park.

Quote:
newsflash OP writer, eating cheap doesn't necessary equal eating healthy. In fact, too often it's the opposite.
Which reminds me of this.
Old 12 February 2015, 01:37 PM

Dog

Re: #7: A dog geek's brain will always notice a dog. Anytime, anywhere.

Dawn--my name is Dawn and I'm a dogaholic--Storm.
Old 12 February 2015, 05:06 PM

Gonna have fun updating these!

Did You Know ?

1. Your shoes are the first thing people subconsciously notice about you. Wear nice shoes. Unless you're a woman. Then it's your boobs.

2. If you sit for more than 11 hours a day, there's a 50% chance you'll die within the next 3 years. However, Thanos isn't scheduled to die until 2019.

3. There are at least 6 people in the world who look exactly like you. There's a 9% chance that you'll meet one of them in your lifetime. Much higher if you're Tatiana Maslany.

5. A personís height is determined by their father, and their weight is determined by their mother. And their width is determined by McDonald's.

6. If a part of your body "falls asleep", You can almost always "wake it up" by shaking your head. Or doing "air quotes."

7. There are three things the human brain cannot resist noticing, food, attractive people and danger. Also, car accidents. And boobs!

8. Right-handed people tend to chew food on their right side and left handed people chew with their mouths open, the disgusting freaks.

9. Putting dry tea bags in gym bags or smelly shoes will absorb the unpleasant odor. Your shorts will smell like an Englishman's farts.

10. According to Albert Einstein, if honey bees were to disappear from earth, humans would be dead within 4 years. And that's how Einstein wrote the treatment to Jerry Seinfeld's "Bee Movie."

11. There are so many kinds of apples, that if you ate a new one everyday, it would take over 20 years to try them all. So get to work!

12. You can survive without eating for weeks, but you will only live 11 days without sleeping. But you'll be amazed at how much you get done in those 11 days

13. People who laugh a lot are healthier than those who donít. The reason for Carrot Top's continued existence.

14. Laziness and inactivity kills just as many people as smoking. Those are the names of my guns.

15. A human brain has a capacity to store 5 times as much information as Wikipedia. Too be fair, Wikipedia doesn't contain all that much "information."

16. Our brain uses the same amount of power as a 10-watt light bulb!! So, technically, we're all dim bulbs!

18. The Ovum egg is the largest cell and the sperm is the smallest cell !! Which is why every sperm is sacred.

19. Stomach acid (conc. HCL) is strong enough to dissolve razor blades!! So if they didn't shred your throat, no need to worry about those swallowed razor blades!

20. Take a 10-30 minute walk every day & while you walk, SMILE. It is the ultimate antidepressant. Also, Lexapro.

21. Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day. In other words, STFU!

22. When you wake up in the morning, pray to ask God's guidance for your purpose, today. Or Chuthulu. Whichever.

25. Try to make at least three people smile each day. Farts and racist jokes work well.

26. Don't waste your precious energy on gossip, energy vampires, issues of the past, negative thoughts or things you cannot control. Plus, energy vampires can only be killed by a Zune through the heart.

29. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone. Forgive them for everything. Even the your killer.

30. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does. Seriously. They all hate you.

33. Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about. They might not even have Steve Perry as their lead singer.

34. No one is in charge of your happiness except you. And the bank.

35. Frame every so-called disaster with these words: 'In five years, will this matter?' I mean, who needs TWO legs?

38. Time heals everything. Except herpes.

39. However good or bad a situation is, it will change. Remember that especially during the good times!

40. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends will. Stay in touch. You know, except for that thing called health insurance

41. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need. You greedy pig.

42. Each night before you go to bed, pray to God and be thankful for what you'll accomplish, today. And ask him why that extra comma is there.

43. Remember that you are too blessed to be stressed. I remember that dress. Oh what a mess. I must confess.

Now: Forward this to your friends to help them lead a happier and healthier life, too! They'll hate you for it!
Old 13 February 2015, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk2sparky View Post
Gonna have fun updating these!

I was just watching "How to Build a Planet" and life existed a long time before bees did. Then came flowering planets and then came bees. Certain flowering planet don't need bees. So no.22. When you wake up in the morning, pray to ask God's guidance for your purpose, today. Or Chuthulu. Whichever.

Or the great spagetti monster...go the monster!!!
33. Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about. They might not even have Steve Perry as their lead singer.

lol
Now: Forward this to your friends to help them lead a happier and healthier life, too! They'll hate you for it!
and put you on ignore
Old 21 February 2015, 10:37 AM

Icon19

Did you know...that any and all glurge will be posted to a message board that discusses urban legends, and that said glurge will be given the Mystery Science Theater 3000 treatment?
Old 28 February 2015, 08:03 AM

29. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone. Forgive them for everything.

Or maybe it's too short to let them think that what they did was okay.

God, I hate stuff like that. Maybe I'm just a bitter old person who's going to die when she's 40, but this sounds like a bunch of garbage to me.
Old 28 February 2015, 11:15 PM

Mouse

Forgiving someone doesn't mean completely letting them off the hook and letting them get away with everything.

Plus I've found that forgiveness is something that takes place in its own time. If you've been wronged in some way, you have every right to feel hurt, bitter, and angry. I've found rather than denying those feelings, it works best to plumb the depths of them, wallow in them until you've reach the deepest part of it all. Then you can start moving towards a better place regarding those feelings. Even still there will be times in which it'll still hurt, kind of like how people who've lost a limb sometimes experience Phantom Limb Pain from time to time.
Old 01 March 2015, 12:25 AM

Forgiveness bleh.

You should only forgive someone if they feel genuine remorse for their actions and try to make up for them. I sure as heck will not be forgiving my ex for the abuse they dished out on me when we were together.