snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Moot Court

Old 10 December 2014, 11:10 PM

Baseball A Harvard professor is at war with Chinese restaurant over $4 overcharge

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/12...n-his-takeout/

A Harvard professor is at war with Chinese restaurant over $4 extra charge on his takeout

Quote:
It is a fact widely acknowledged in the legal profession that it is basically pointless going to law school unless you later use your hard-won knowledge to terrorize a small family-owned business over a minor customer-service transgression... I mean, who among us wouldn’t invoke the concept of treble damages and contact the consumer-protection authorities after learning that we’d ordered from a slightly out-of-date menu?
I love the fact that this law professor determines that he can play prosecutor, judge, jury and executioner and determine the penalties that this restaurant owner must pay.

I also love the fact that since he stated he called the authorities (I think he was doing a bully bluff) the restaurant owner has stated that he will repay the $4 or $12 once the authorities tell him how to proceed. Law professor now has notoriety, and still must wait for his $4.

Almost like that show "Better off Dead"... I want my $2.
Old 10 December 2014, 11:58 PM

I hope the Streisand effect can come in to play here, and that hundreds of people seek out this restaurant to buy something. Why should a jerk of a lawyer have all the fun.
Old 11 December 2014, 12:35 AM

Baseball

http://www.benedelman.org/news/121014-1.html

Apparently today the law professor apologised.

Quote:
Many people have seen my emails with Ran Duan of Sichuan Garden restaurant in Brookline.

Having reflected on my interaction with Ran, including what I said and how I said it, it’s clear that I was very much out of line. I aspire to act with great respect and humility in dealing with others, no matter what the situation. Clearly I failed to do so. I am sorry, and I intend to do better in the future.

I have reached out to Ran and will apologize to him personally as well.
As far as apologies go, this one is not too bad. It is not an "I apolgise if you are offended". He is apologetic for his actions.

Hopefully he means it.
Old 11 December 2014, 03:17 AM

When I first heard about this on the radio on the way home from work to day. The first thing that came to mines, was to question this as a advertisement gimmick. The e-mail made you feel bad for the poor business own and made you want to stop in there to give him more business. The radio host later brought the same question.

With the things you see on the internet for advertising today a stunt like this would not surprise me at all and I sort of expect it now days.
Old 11 December 2014, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
Apparently today the law professor apologised..
Which is good, because he was wrong anyway.