snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 04 November 2014, 06:18 PM

Theme Icon More retailers announce earlier opening times on Thanksgiving

Retailers are stumbling over one another to announce ever-earlier opening times on Thanksgiving as they race to woo Black Friday shoppers with deep discounts during hours usually reserved for family gatherings.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...104-story.html
Old 07 November 2014, 02:51 PM

The only way this won't end up with the stores being open the entire Thanksgiving day and eventually being open Christmas Day too is if consumers would just stay home. As long as there are enough people out there ready, willing and able to spend money you can't really blame retailers for "wooing" them. I wonder if this would be an issue here in Canada, I think it would be quite difficult for most stores to get to open on these days as they are statutory holidays. I am assuming that's not the case in the US.
Old 07 November 2014, 05:37 PM

We have "federal holidays", on which everything run by the federal government will be closed.Generally these are also state holidays, though a state might not observe one, and/or might observe a holiday or two of its own. But none of this is binding on private businesses. Many years ago I gather there were laws against opening on Sundays; but if so, they're long gone, except for some state liquor store laws. I expect even if they were still on the books it would be knocked down by the courts under the religious separation clause. (The only current Federal holiday which is explicity religious is Christmas. I think the general perception is that that one's not worth having the fight over; and, again, it's not binding on private businesses.)
Old 08 November 2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
The only way this won't end up with the stores being open the entire Thanksgiving day and eventually being open Christmas Day too is if consumers would just stay home.
Or, alternatively, if you like to shop on those days (and don't think there's anything wrong with them being open all day), do.
Old 08 November 2014, 12:06 PM

Did you read Sue's whole post, or are you just looking to start this whole argument over again? Because Sue is not saying otherwise, and your observation is blindingly obvious.
Old 08 November 2014, 12:46 PM

I don't know why you assume I was disagreeing with her or trying to start an argument with anyone. I'm glad it was obvious to you, though.
Old 08 November 2014, 12:58 PM

Oh, no, I'm sure you can't imagine why I would think such a thing.

But I'm glad we can agree on something.
Old 08 November 2014, 02:36 PM

If anyone has half an hour to kill they can revisit that thread. I'd forgotten how long that argument waged - 17 pages and all the way from Thanksgiving to New Years!

http://message.snopes.com/showthread...t=thanksgiving
Old 08 November 2014, 07:00 PM

The mall i work in is forcing all stores to open at 6pm on thanksgiving. A lot of the various store managers threw a fit but the mall is imposing fines on any store that doesn't open on time.
Old 08 November 2014, 08:17 PM

So much for stores having any choice in the matter then. That's too bad.
Old 08 November 2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus View Post
The mall i work in is forcing all stores to open at 6pm on thanksgiving. A lot of the various store managers threw a fit but the mall is imposing fines on any store that doesn't open on time.
Wouldn't something like that have to be specified in the lease agreement? Of course I am not sure if a store manager would be involved at that level for a chain store, or if corporate would deal with the leases and perhaps not warn store management.
Old 08 November 2014, 09:27 PM

*Sigh* If you open it they will come. It is a sign of privilege to be able to choose to work or choose to shop. Some of us don't have that privilege. At least I get double time.
Old 09 November 2014, 01:21 AM

Real conversation overheard in Target this week:

STOCKER 1: They say it's "voluntary." Yeah, right. Like they'd close the store if we didn't "volunteer."

STOCKER 2: I know, man. It's so stupid. Obviously none of us want to work on Thanksgiving, but we don't want to "volunteer" to find a new job.

(More was said. Including a lot of sarcastic comments about "voluntary" work on a holiday.)
Old 09 November 2014, 01:52 AM

Yup, working Thanksgiving is voluntary. And the manager will make sure that everyone has already volunteered.
Old 09 November 2014, 03:11 PM

Since I have had all my Christmas shopping done before Halloween this being open or not is not going to affect me.

I did see that that Costco, Sam's Club, Barnes & Noble, Nordstrom, Home Depot and Dillard have announced that they will not be opening Thanksgiving day.
Old 09 November 2014, 04:09 PM

Sam’s Club and Costco do not surprise me as their business is membership wholesale. Only members can shop there anyhow and not the the general public at large. That means that they already have a limited market for shoppers on that day already. Plus most of their purchases are probably based on groceries in bulk - not all that much in demand on Thanksgiving - it’s likely that everybody already has food prepped up before then.

I also imagine that those two retails are also interested in trying to reduce costs so they are going to probably want to stay closed rather than paying their employees of an extra day (Costco is closed Sunday’s). I know Costco also has a good reputation for being fair to their employees and probably thinks that they deserve a day off.
Old 09 November 2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
So much for stores having any choice in the matter then. That's too bad.
The stores did have a choice in the matter. They could have not signed the lease agreement that gives the mall the power to insist a store is open at a particular time.

Kind of like an HOA. If you don't like that the HOA bans flagpoles then don't buy a house in a development with that in their HOA.

EDIT: Though the employees certainly had zero say, the store did have a say. Most malls, for the last decade or so, have been marginal business endeavors. Vacancy rates in most malls is pretty high. I can't see the vast majority of malls kicking a store out because they failed to open at a particular time. The mall would just end up with an empty store that probably won't be filled for years. The big stores would have even more leverage to ignore the rental agreement since the chances of getting another big tenant to take up the large open space is probably pretty much zero.
Old 09 November 2014, 08:35 PM

The penalty isn't being kicked out, it's a fine.
Old 09 November 2014, 09:58 PM

A private business can't impose a "fine". And if they did the other party could simply ignore it. What are they gonna do, call the imaginary police?
Old 09 November 2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
(Costco is closed Sunday’s)
According to their website, Costco is open every day except for Thanksgiving and Christmas days.
http://www.costco.com/hours-and-holiday-closures.html