snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > About This Site > Technical Questions

Old 30 July 2014, 11:09 PM

Icon18 Mobile hijacker ads

As of late, I've been having a lot of issues with mobile hijacker ads. I'll attempt to log into the site, but instead I'll get sent to the app store for something stupid like candy crash or whatever. It's making it very difficult to view the site because there's a good chance that any time I click a link on it I'm going to get booted from the browser and into the App Store instead. And I realize I could just view this on my computer with an ad blocker but there's a number reasons why I'm on my mobile phone a lot more these days. Is there anything you can do to possibly get your ad service to stop sending these types of ads to us?
Old 30 July 2014, 11:28 PM

I visit the site almost exclusively on my Android tablet, and I haven't had that happen even once. Maybe it's something on your device?
Old 31 July 2014, 01:17 AM

I'm getting thing on my iPhone and iPad.
Old 31 July 2014, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quink View Post
I'm getting thing on my iPhone and iPad.
I am too, but maybe only once a day.
Old 31 July 2014, 09:50 AM

I have had to stop reading Snopes on my iPad because of hijacking like Rebochan is reporting. This made me unhappy for a few weeks while I didn't have access to my "big" computer with ad blocking. :-(
Old 31 July 2014, 11:21 AM

On my iPhone it happens pretty much every time I visit the new posts page. It is quite irritating. That one of the apps it is trying to get me to download is some sort of Kardashian game doesn't help.
Old 31 July 2014, 08:21 PM

Icon07

I've talked with the likely ad provider that's causing this problem about reigning in their ads.
Old 01 August 2014, 02:08 PM

It happens to me with my iPad, too.
Old 02 August 2014, 05:05 AM

As payment for my sins (or for complaining about being hijacked, take your pick), today I got pop-up ads every time I clicked on a new page. They finally gave up after 9 times (I counted). This isn't the same as being hi-jacked to another website, but it's really irritating and distracting.
Old 02 August 2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
I've talked with the likely ad provider that's causing this problem about reigning in their ads.
Much appreciated!
Old 02 August 2014, 11:34 AM

Thanks for looking into it. This has been driving me crazy for a while and is one of the reasons I've not been around as much...
Old 02 August 2014, 02:00 PM

It happens to me on random threads.
Old 15 August 2014, 11:25 PM

I am on an Android and the hijacker ads have stopped. However, I get a pop-under ad everytime I log onto the site (I have no problem with that) and pop-over ads everytime I change a page. I mostly access the site with my phone and the ads usually take up a quarter of my screen making me have to close them before I can read anything. I wouldn't mind them if they were smaller, but half the time trying to close them ends up with me accidentally opening them - which leads to having to reload the snopes page and dealing with the ad again.
It has caused me to visit less often as most times it isn't worth the hassle.
Old 16 August 2014, 12:13 AM

I'm having the same issue as Vanilla on my Android phone. I usually just use my laptop, but today I wanted to post a photo, and figured the easiest way was to take the picture with my phone, upload it to photobucket, the copy the link into the thread. Due to the ads, it turned out not to be the easiest way. Taking a photo with a film camera, having it developed and mailed to me, then scanning the photo and uploading it on my laptop would have been easier.
Old 16 August 2014, 12:31 AM

I am having it on my iPod too - before they were okay, but now I get them even when I go to reply to someone, and the problem is that when the page comes up with the ad the type is perfectly sized, but when I close the ad the type goes all tiny and I can't get it back to the perfectly sized type. If I increase it to that size I can't see half the words, bacause something has changed. If I reload the same page I get another ad.
Old 16 October 2014, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla View Post
I am on an Android and the hijacker ads have stopped. However, I get a pop-under ad everytime I log onto the site (I have no problem with that) and pop-over ads everytime I change a page. I mostly access the site with my phone and the ads usually take up a quarter of my screen making me have to close them before I can read anything. I wouldn't mind them if they were smaller, but half the time trying to close them ends up with me accidentally opening them - which leads to having to reload the snopes page and dealing with the ad again.
It has caused me to visit less often as most times it isn't worth the hassle.
Thank you very much to snopes and your techie minions! The pop up ads for android mobile devices have gone away and I'm enjoying being able to browse the message board again!

Thank you!
Old 18 December 2014, 01:44 PM

Sorry to have to bring this up, but there seems to be a desktop hijacker ad now. Occasionally I get an ad that takes over the entire page and shows nothing but the ad. Whenever I get it, it is a Zales ad that is shown.