snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Moot Court

Old 29 December 2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coughdrops View Post
Ya know, Trump does need a running mate...
Why would he need one? The Vice President is there to step in if the President dies or is incapacitated. Given how Trump is the most amazinglyiestly healthy person ever, he'd never need backup.
Old 30 December 2015, 01:20 AM

Mouse

I find myself wondering how the rich spin this kind of thing. Whenever they're asked for the cause of poverty, they always blather about poor work ethic and a culture of poverty and BS like that. So by that explanation, the rich are where they are because they are so much more virtuous and hardworking than the rest of us.

So how do they explain rich kids like Ethan Crouch, whose only discernible talents involve having rich asshole parents who'd probably bail him out even if they caught him standing over a mountain of corpses while holding a blood-stained axe.
Old 30 December 2015, 04:02 AM

It's probably the fault of the liberal media or the ACLU. Or someone who once gave him a participation trophy when he was in grade school. Or a lack of guns. Or President Obama.
Old 30 December 2015, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
It's probably the fault of the liberal media or the ACLU. Or someone who once gave him a participation trophy when he was in grade school. Or a lack of guns. Or President Obama.
I think it's important that we entertain the possibility that those may be inclusive ors. I mean, clearly it's at least one of them, but let's not rule out the possibility that it's a combination, perhaps even the result of a conspiracy to discredit wealthy, hard working, gun owning, America-loving citizens (this last category being in direct contrast to supporters of Mr. Obama).

What I'm getting at is it could be a lone nut with one pet cause causing this kid grief, or it could be a whole bunch of nuts with a slew of far out causes at the root of this problem. Let's keep an open mind and not rule anything out. And remember: if it sounds reasonable, it is!
Old 30 December 2015, 04:48 AM

Tantrum

Quote:
It's probably the fault of the liberal media or the ACLU.....
Feminazis! Don't forget the feminazis!
Old 30 December 2015, 05:38 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I find myself wondering how the rich spin this kind of thing. Whenever they're asked for the cause of poverty, they always blather about poor work ethic and a culture of poverty and BS like that. So by that explanation, the rich are where they are because they are so much more virtuous and hardworking than the rest of us.

So how do they explain rich kids like Ethan Crouch, whose only discernible talents involve having rich asshole parents who'd probably bail him out even if they caught him standing over a mountain of corpses while holding a blood-stained axe.
I'm guessing they sniff and say "new money" or "that's not how we behave here in City".
Old 30 December 2015, 05:43 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Is it just me but am I the only one who wonders where all these schools were where everyone got a trophy? As a child of the 90s, I can't remember ever getting a trophy just for participation. Yeah, occasionally people got awards and sometimes they'd make so everyone went home with something, but newsflash: kids aren't stupid. We knew which awards mattered and which were just something they gave you for breathing.

I'm going to assume the stuff I'd get when I was in Orchestra in High School doesn't count, because they were awarded for the group's performance as a whole, rather than for individual merit really.

Last edited by Mouse; 30 December 2015 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Fixed a tag
Old 30 December 2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
So how do they explain rich kids like Ethan Crouch
Oh, those are the occasional fluke cases that don't say anything about the rest of the group.

The fact that an occasional person starts out poor and manages to become rich, however, proves that all poor people could do the same thing if they would only try harder. Or try smarter. Or something.
Old 30 December 2015, 05:00 PM

I think thorny locust has the key. The rich that Mouse talks about don't generally make the claim that every rich person is hard-working, etc. They say that they themselves got rich that way and blame (directly or indirectly) the poor for not being hard-working enough. It probably comes down to some sort of guilt or just-world issue. They deserve to be rich and others deserve to be poor solely from their own actions. Others who are rich don't affect them as much since other rich people don't make they feel guilty or make they worry that they too could have been poor.

IOW:
You are poor because you are lazy.
I am rich because I work hard.
Other people who are rich may not be hard workers.
Old 30 December 2015, 05:20 PM

Sadly it's not just the rich who have that attitude. There are always going to be people who have more than someone else and who are going to feel smug about it. At least based on some of the memes I see on FB anyway .
Old 30 December 2015, 05:35 PM

Roll eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
... After Defense Argued He Had 'Affluenza'

A 16-year-old avoided spending time in prison for killing four people in a car accident in June after the judge bought his lawyers' argument that he was the victim of wealth.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...?ir=Weird+News
And if he was poor, Couch's attorney would argue that he was a victim of poverty.
Old 30 December 2015, 05:49 PM

If he was poor, he probably would have had a public defender or at least a less skilled private attorney.
Old 30 December 2015, 11:37 PM

Default Ethan Couch, 'affluenza' defence teen wanted in Texas, gets 3-day deportation delay i

A teen fugitive from Texas known for using an "affluenza" defence was granted a three-day delay in deportation on Wednesday, the same day he and his mother were scheduled to be sent back to the U.S., according to a Mexican official. An official with Mexico's Migration Institute told The Associated Press that 18-year-old Ethan Couch won a three-day court injunction. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he or she wasn't authorized to be quoted by name. The ruling could lead to a weeks-long legal process if a judge decides Couch has grounds to challenge his deportation based on arguments that kicking him out of Mexico would violate his rights. The judge has three days to consider Couch's appeal.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ethan-c...elay-1.3384496
Old 31 December 2015, 12:23 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I think thorny locust has the key. The rich that Mouse talks about don't generally make the claim that every rich person is hard-working, etc. They say that they themselves got rich that way and blame (directly or indirectly) the poor for not being hard-working enough. It probably comes down to some sort of guilt or just-world issue. They deserve to be rich and others deserve to be poor solely from their own actions. Others who are rich don't affect them as much since other rich people don't make they feel guilty or make they worry that they too could have been poor.
I know rich people don't exactly say the stuff I said about how they're rich because they're super-virtuous and hard-working; I was just taking the statements said about poor people and taking them to their logical conclusion. Because if poor people are where they are because of laziness or a culture of poverty or whatever word they use to refer to someone with bad work ethic, then by that very logic, if this really is a Just World, then Rich people are rich because they work so much harder and are way more virtuous than poor people.

And maybe there are a few super-virtuous souls among the Rich, but from the looks of it, they seem to screw-up at the same rate as everyone else. The difference is that when a poor person screws up, becomes addicted to drugs or whatever, usually the harm they deal is confined to themselves and friends and family. Whereas the rich...Yeah, do I need to bring up all the corporate scandals where the CEOs got bailed out and got nice golden parachutes, while their hardworking employees were left without their savings?

That's why, for those of a conservative persuasion, that liberals are generally more concerned about the behaviors of CEOs and corporations, than whether Joe Blow enjoys smoking Pot. Because the Rich have considerably more power than Joe Blow and therefore when they screw up, they have the ability to drag a lot more people down with them.
Old 31 December 2015, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Is it just me but am I the only one who wonders where all these schools were where everyone got a trophy? As a child of the 90s, I can't remember ever getting a trophy just for participation. Yeah, occasionally people got awards and sometimes they'd make so everyone went home with something, but newsflash: kids aren't stupid. We knew which awards mattered and which were just something they gave you for breathing.
Like most good "kids today" rants the person saying it usually claims that their's was the last generation that was raised right. As a kid in the 90s I remember hearing it from older folks about my generation where "everybody gets a trophy." Now I hear it from people my age and younger about how we were raised right and it's the new generation where "everybody gets a trophy."
Old 31 December 2015, 02:26 PM

Police 'Affluenza' teen's mom arrives in U.S.; he's still in Mexico

The mother of the Texas teen known for his "affluenza" defense after he was given probation for killing four people in a 2013 drunken-driving crash has returned to the United States from Mexico.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ouch/78121670/
Old 02 January 2016, 01:53 PM

Mexico Ethan Couch Gets High-Profile Mexican Attorney

A high-profile Mexican attorney known for winning big cases confirmed Friday he is representing Ethan Couch, the "affluenza" teen from North Texas jailed in Mexico.

Fernando Benitez, of Tijuana, said in a Twitter message to NBC 5 that he wants to make sure the 18-year-old is treated lawfully.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Eth...364003111.html
Old 02 January 2016, 03:33 PM

Meh. Let him rot in a Mexican immigration detention facility a little longer for all I care, if that's what he wants. Here's to a lengthy court process in Mexico!

ETA: And oh by the way, if the article I linked is accurate, he's only facing 120 days in jail (although perhaps that was before he fled) on his probation violation in the US! FFS kid, grow up and face the music already, it'll be easier! I figured such would be the case, that it's not all or nothing (he either does no time or he does ten years) kind of thing with a probation violation, but this article seems to confirm it (albeit without citing a source).

Last edited by ASL; 02 January 2016 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12 January 2016, 07:56 PM

Default 'Affluenza' Teen's Mom Tonya Couch Released From Jail

Tonya Couch, the mother of "affluenza" teen Ethan Couch, was released from Tarrant County Jail in Texas today.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/affluenza-t...ry?id=36234062
Old 12 January 2016, 08:58 PM

Judge

I'm kind of amazed they dropped her bail so low given that she and her son are the poster children for "flight risk"