snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Moot Court

Old 12 December 2013, 12:57 PM

Judge Ethan Couch Sentenced To Probation In Crash That Killed 4 ...

... After Defense Argued He Had 'Affluenza'

A 16-year-old avoided spending time in prison for killing four people in a car accident in June after the judge bought his lawyers' argument that he was the victim of wealth.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...?ir=Weird+News
Old 12 December 2013, 01:32 PM

Do we know that the reason he was sentenced to probation was because the judge "bought" that argument? A quick Google search turns up lots of articles about drivers who got probation for vehicular homicide, including several cases involving multiple deaths.
Old 12 December 2013, 02:57 PM

I know it varies widely by state. In North Carolina if someone causes a fatal accident while driving drunk and has a prior conviction for drunk driving (not necessarily involving an accident) they usually get charged with second degree murder. If the person has no priors they usually get charged with involuntary manslaughter.

I don't think I've seen anyone charged with murder for a fatal drunk driving accident in Virginia, regardless of priors. But recently someone here was charged with murder for causing a huge pile-up while driving on a suspended license. No alcohol was involved. In both states 'just probation' seems to be given when it's a passenger in the drunk driver's car that is hurt or killed, the reasoning being that when the passenger accepted a ride from a drunk driver the passenger assumed that risk.

In this case I think being a juvenile had something to do with it and plenty of money for attorneys had a lot to do with it.
Old 12 December 2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoitoider View Post
I don't think I've seen anyone charged with murder for a fatal drunk driving accident in Virginia, regardless of priors. But recently someone here was charged with murder for causing a huge pile-up while driving on a suspended license.
Something like murder will require proof of an appropriate mental state, which usually will not apply, even when someone is driving really stupidly. Still, there are occasions when various felonies can be appropriate. It can be compared to causing a gun death: you generally won't get a murder charge if you fire a gun into the air and the bullet strikes someone, but if you fire into a crowd, a murder charge is likely. Most often, 'really stupid' will get you probation (unless there are fairly specific state laws, like DUI homicide under certain conditions), except on repeat offense, but truly intentional harm has a good chance of prison time.
Old 16 December 2015, 02:29 PM

Crash Texas ‘affluenza’ teen, let off after drunk-driving deaths, is missing

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/20...s-missing.html

Quote:
DALLAS—A warrant has been issued for the teenager whose “affluenza” defense spared him jail time in the deaths of four people he ran over while driving drunk in 2012.

A juvenile probation officer has been unable to reach Ethan Couch and his mother for several days, attorneys Reagan Wynn and Scott Brown said in a written statement about their client.
I also read that just a few weeks ago that he was recorded at a party where peers were playing beer pong.

His affluenza is still affecting him.
Old 16 December 2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
http://www.thestar.com/news/world/20...s-missing.html

I also read that just a few weeks ago that he was recorded at a party where peers were playing beer pong.

His affluenza is still affecting him.
I read that a bench warrant has been issued. He may be getting a reality check soon.
Old 17 December 2015, 01:59 AM

Judge

Yup.

Arrest Warrant Issued for Missing 'Affluenza' Teen Ethan Couch

Quote:
An arrest warrant has been issued for the Texas teen who avoided jail time in the drunken-driving deaths of four people two years ago because he has failed to check in with his probation officer, according to Tarrant County Juvenile Services and the teenager's lawyers.

~Psihala
Old 17 December 2015, 10:35 PM

And I'm almost certain he'll got off with nothing this time too.
Old 18 December 2015, 03:26 AM

Assuming they can even find him again.

~Psihala
Old 19 December 2015, 12:43 PM

Baseball

I don't have a link, but one report I heard online is that the Tarrant County police believe he has skipped the country with his mother.

These are the same parents that raised him without limits so that he could live doing whatever he wanted.

Ugh.
Old 19 December 2015, 02:40 PM

I've heard similar reports. Apparently the mother is missing. Someone on Facebook suggested Ethan Couch had "done something to her" (killed her, I assume they meant), but that seems far less likely to me.
Old 19 December 2015, 05:04 PM

Yeah, a few news channels were reporting yesterday that police suspect he might have fled. Also, something was mentioned that apparently the family has a history of buying their way out of legal trouble, I think.
Old 29 December 2015, 04:25 AM

'Affluenza' teen Ethan Couch detained in Mexico

Quote:
Mexican authorities have detained so-called "affluenza" teen Ethan Couch and his mother near the popular Mexican Pacific beach resort town of Puerto Vallarta, officials briefed on the matter told CNN.

Couch, 18, went missing earlier this month, two years after he made national news when he was sentenced to probation for a drunken driving crash that killed four people.

Couch is expected to be turned over to the U.S. Marshals Service, who have spent weeks searching for him. A spokesman for the service declined to comment.

He is wanted by authorities in Tarrant County, Texas, for allegedly violating probation. His mother was listed by Texas authorities as a missing person after her son's disappearance, and the authorities said they believed she was assisting her son.
Uh yea, way to go on the lam guys, chilling in a resort town right across the border

I had a hunch they were too stupid to stay gone for long.
Old 29 December 2015, 06:06 AM

I can't wait to hear their explanation.
Old 29 December 2015, 07:17 AM

Probably something along the lines of, "It's just a misunderstanding of our prearranged plans to visit Mexico for the XMAS holiday. It's not OUR fault the probation officer didn't get the message!"

~Psihala
Old 29 December 2015, 12:20 PM

Teacher

Here he is with a black dye job

The irony is, it would have been hard for the state to prove the drinking video violated his probation if they couldn't prove, say, it was taken during the probation period or that he'd actually imbibed alcohol on his own.

Fleeing the country is far more damaging to his probation.
Old 29 December 2015, 12:45 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebochan View Post
Uh yea, way to go on the lam guys, chilling in a resort town right across the border ....
Puerto Vallarta is not right across the border.
Old 29 December 2015, 01:25 PM

According to an article I saw, he's being held in a Mexican jail pending extradition. The other prisoners are, I'm sure, being very hospitable.
Old 29 December 2015, 04:57 PM

Hey, just because he's an entitled asshole doesn't make joking about being assaulted or raped in prison funny.
Old 29 December 2015, 06:58 PM

Ya know, Trump does need a running mate...