snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 09 December 2013, 09:35 AM

Computer Woman pulls her 2 kids out of school after Wi-Fi is installed

Article

Quote:
BRISBANE mother Louise Brosnan pulled both her boys out of a school that installed Wi-Fi this year.

St Kevin’s Primary School at Geebung told her it could not comply with her request that her sons use only hardwired computers and be kept away from wireless devices, due to her worries about possible side-effects.

A letter from the principal stated that if her sons were to stay at St Kevin’s “we are unable to provide the environment you have requested’’.

“There is no empirical evidence to indicate your concern and I need to inform you that St Kevin’s Primary School is unable to meet your non consent request,’’ the letter states.
The woman claims that she experiences "terrible headaches, vomiting and nausea" when she is 'exposed' to Wi-Fi so she doesn't want her children using it. Given how widespread Wi-Fi has become in society (hotels, cafes, libraries, entire cities like London, etc etc) I don't see how anyone could expect to avoid Wi-Fi at all. If their house isn't more than 20m away from every other house in their neighbourhood they're probably exposed to Wi-Fi all day long anyway.
Old 09 December 2013, 11:11 AM

Whalephant

I would have bet anything this was going to be about a very conservative American concerned about the filth of the Internet and the ease of her kids' access to WiFi.
Old 09 December 2013, 11:48 AM

According to the article, Mz. Brosnan wanted her sons to "sons use only hardwired computers and be kept away from wireless devices" because she herself suffers "terrible headaches, vomiting and nausea when exposed to Wi-Fi". That doesn't compute.

She isn't asking for herself to be spared from Wi-Fi exposure, like a guaranteed Wi-Fi free pick-up area on the school grounds. She seems to be able to avoid the schools Wi-Fi on her own.

She isn't claiming that her sons suffer any bad experiences from being exposed to Wi-Fi. Consequently, she isn't asking for her sons not to be exposed to Wi-Fi. On the contrary, she seems to be fine with everybody else in class using wireless devices, as long as her sons don't.

So her sons may be exposed to Wi-Fi, but not benefit from it. What is she fearing? That her sons somehow get infected by the Wi-Fi? That they bring it home in their trouser turn-ups once they use a tablet?

It's good to see that the school doesn't go out of it's way to accomodate an unreasonable request, but just declines politly.
Old 09 December 2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
I would have bet anything this was going to be about a very conservative American concerned about the filth of the Internet and the ease of her kids' access to WiFi.
Even without the prurient reference to filth, there could very legitimately be a concern of the million-plus distractions Wi-Fi presents (even if one;s child does not possess a Wi-Fi device) that are inappropriate to school focus.
Old 09 December 2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
She isn't claiming that her sons suffer any bad experiences from being exposed to Wi-Fi. Consequently, she isn't asking for her sons not to be exposed to Wi-Fi. On the contrary, she seems to be fine with everybody else in class using wireless devices, as long as her sons don't.
Naw she wants her sons kept away from it:
Quote:
St Kevin’s Primary School at Geebung told her it could not comply with her request that her sons use only hardwired computers and be kept away from wireless devices, due to her worries about possible side-effects
Old 09 December 2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Even without the prurient reference to filth, there could very legitimately be a concern of the million-plus distractions Wi-Fi presents (even if one;s child does not possess a Wi-Fi device) that are inappropriate to school focus.
I'm having a failure of imagination this morning, could you elaborate?
Old 09 December 2013, 01:42 PM

do people not realize that wi-fi is the same energy as cordless phones, microwaves and -- radios?
Old 09 December 2013, 01:53 PM

Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderwoman View Post
With Wi-Fi available, one can go to Facebook, Twitter, online games, TV Tropes, music videos, Snopes message board ( ), and a million other things that can distract from education. And even if her sons did not have devices, lots of other kids would and would share the distractions.

Of course, lots of kids will access same by phone connection, too, but lack of WiFi does cut down somewhat.
Old 09 December 2013, 02:06 PM

Okay, but do kids have unblocked access to all that stuff? Schools I've been in police the childrens' activity when they have devices. Maybe not so much at the high school level, I'm more familiar with elementary school. Other than that, all of those things are available with a wired connection too, aren't they?

Of course, I kept whatever book I was reading with me when I was in school and was known to miss math quizzes because I read through them.
Old 09 December 2013, 02:07 PM

I don't see why they would be any more of a classroom distraction than talking to other kids or reading a book. Available wi-fi isn't obligated to be used every moment, and teachers would set rules on its use the way they do with any other potential distractions.

Or somebody looking out a window.

Quote:
Of course, lots of kids will access same by phone connection, too, but lack of WiFi does cut down somewhat.
Of course the school probably has filters on their Wi-Fi that are the same as their school computers that would block access to sites that the school does not want kids accessing. Not to mention that teachers can easily make sure that the kids are actually using the equipment properly.

ETA: Spanked! (I thought that wasn’t allowed in schools anymore!)
Old 09 December 2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I of course don't know, but I'd suspect the number of kids who have non-smart phone/tablet wi-fi required devices (like an iTouch or something) is pretty small compared with the number with smart phones, so eliminating wifi would, at best, remove a small, small amount of 'people distracting others on their internet devices'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
Negative, she doesn't want her sons exposed, she also notes that she doesn't want other kids exposed but can't really do much about that herself.

Quote:
So her sons may be exposed to Wi-Fi, but not benefit from it. What is she fearing? That her sons somehow get infected by the Wi-Fi? That they bring it home in their trouser turn-ups once they use a tablet?
I assume she's a whack-job (not unlike anti-Vaxx or any number of 'Organic no GMO', chem trail, whatever else types) who read on the internet somewhere that wifi is bad and now believes it. She probably assumes that her sons would get sick over time if exposed to it for long enough.

Quote:
It's good to see that the school doesn't go out of it's way to accomodate an unreasonable request, but just declines politly.
Agreed.
Old 09 December 2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
For example, they might become jealous, and start bullying their classmates, because their Mom won't let them have wireless devices like 80% of the other kids of their acquaintance.

That would be pretty distracting, and totally the fault of Wi-Fi and wireless devices.
Old 09 December 2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Done_Living View Post
do people not realize that wi-fi is the same energy as cordless phones, microwaves and -- radios?
They don't. They really, really don't.

You also get much more radiation from an electric blanket or a cell phone. One statistic I saw said you'd have to stay inside a Wi-Fi hot spot for an entire year just to get the same radiation dose as you would from using a cell phone for 20 seconds.
Old 09 December 2013, 02:41 PM

I totally see what you are saying; we need to ban microwaves, cell phones and radios along with wifi!

It's even more important in Australian schools, all those wireless protrons and quarks and such just collect down there at the bottom.
Old 09 December 2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Blue View Post
It's even more important in Australian schools, all those wireless protrons and quarks and such just collect down there at the bottom.
It could have different effects down there - I understand electrons orbit the nucleus in the opposite direction in the southern hemisphere.
Old 09 December 2013, 04:59 PM

I've said this before, probably, but my grandmother used to make me leave the room if the microwave was running, and would shield herself before opening it. Yes, people are scared of those too.
Old 09 December 2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Okay, but do kids have unblocked access to all that stuff? Schools I've been in police the childrens' activity when they have devices. Maybe not so much at the high school level, I'm more familiar with elementary school. Other than that, all of those things are available with a wired connection too, aren't they?
My kids' high school has wifi. They do block access to certain websites on their wifi network. When I'm on campus, I have to switch my phone from wifi to 3G/4G network in order to access Facebook.
Old 09 December 2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustasteph View Post
I've said this before, probably, but my grandmother used to make me leave the room if the microwave was running, and would shield herself before opening it. Yes, people are scared of those too.
Yea that's one I haven't heard recently but when I was a kid it was 'well known' that you should not stand in front of the microwave when it's cooking and make sure to wait until the dings all finish before opening the door.

I wonder if as microwaves have become more and more mundane if the worries about them have also faded.. I suspect that is the case cause I also recall the fears of cell phone radiation (including some people using special shields) and that also appears to have calmed down.. I guess it only makes sense that wifi, something relatively new now, go through the same issue.