snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 29 November 2013, 05:50 AM

Default Claim: Obama decided to change Black Friday to "african-American Friday"

A person I know said that he read on Facebook that Barack Obama had tried to change "Black Friday" to "African-American Friday." I said that seemed unlikely, and he said "it's Snopes-approved!"*

I couldn't find anything like that claim on Facebook myself, but here's a racist Web site that might be the origin:

Quote:
On November 5, 2013 President Barack Obama signed Executive Order 00002675 which proclaims, “In all federal offices and bureaus the Friday following Thanksgiving shall be referred to as African-American Friday. This shall be a day when all American citizens regardless of race or creed shall be unrestrained in their passion.” I take this “unrestrained in their passion” to be code for “act like an n-word.” Was it not Obama who said, “If I had a son, he’d be just like Trayvon.” Yes, and if he had a city it would be Detroit. And if he had a holiday it would have to be African-American Friday.
Searching the Web turns up no results for such an executive order.

Can anyone else find any information on this? What's the source of this claim?

*I've already seen one false meme on Facebook accompanied by the claim that Snopes.com said it was true. (It was a warning about the claim that there's an epidemic of criminals hacking people's key codes from their car's keyfobs. The snopes page says it's a "mixture" because although they haven't found any documented case of this happening, it used to be a serious danger and is still technically possible, and there have been some unsolved thefts that might have been enabled by electronic car hacking.)
Old 29 November 2013, 06:28 AM

Read This!

An Executive Order bearing a number of 2675 would have been issued in 1917, not 2013:

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/execu...Submit=DISPLAY
Old 30 November 2013, 04:32 PM

"Black Friday" isn't even a name that's used by the government for anything (unless the DMV has started offering doorbuster deals on driver license renewals or something), so how Obama would even be able to change it is beyond me.
Old 03 December 2013, 07:47 PM

So... the president now has the authority over the use of marketing terms? Can he make furniture stores stop holding fake "Going Out of Business" sales too? I hate those.
Old 03 December 2013, 08:01 PM

Roll eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarchery View Post
Can he make furniture stores stop holding fake "Going Out of Business" sales too? I hate those.
When I worked in the display advertising department of our local newspaper many years ago, we had an issue with a number of area stores that would regularly place phony "Going out of business" ads to lure customers. In response, our business department instituted a new rule stating that ad copy could not include "Going out of business" wording unless the store placing the ad actually was closing its doors for good within 90 days.

Shortly afterwards, one of the more notorious repeat offenders placed an ad with the following heading:

GOING OUT for BUSINESS!
Old 03 December 2013, 08:15 PM

up to 50% off!
Old 03 December 2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Blue View Post
up to 50% off!
Worse than that is "up to X% or more!" Er, yeah, that means it could be literally anything.
Old 03 December 2013, 09:05 PM

Or Buy One Get One half off. I'm looking at YOU Payless Shoes.

I'll never forget the store in the Mall that was selling sweaters for $13.88 apiece for weeks, then they put up huge Buy One Get One Free sale signs, and marked the sweaters up to $28 each.

(Has this thread been hijacked?)
Old 03 December 2013, 09:06 PM

Shout

Allow me to introduce you to:
Roscoe's Oriental Rug Emporium

and

Alonzo's East Asian Floor Coverings
Old 03 December 2013, 09:23 PM

The Friday after Thanksgiving is actually supposed to be commemorated as Native American Heritage Day.

I'm not holding my breath that this will ever be a thing, but nonetheless, it is so, or at least it was in 2008.
Old 04 December 2013, 12:23 AM

Exuse this ignorant Aussie, but what exactly is Black Friday. From the last post I gather it is the Friday after Thanksgiving, but why is it black?
Old 04 December 2013, 12:23 AM

Because it supposedly kicks off the Christmas shopping season, and gets the stores "in the black" rather than "in the red."
Old 04 December 2013, 12:43 AM

That's one common explanation of the term, but not the right one. Bonnie, who used to post here (still does? Haven't seen her in a while) actually found the correct one :
Quote:
Beginning in the nineteen-thirties, thousands of fans thronged Philadelphia’s Municipal Stadium for the Army-Navy football game. As festive as the mood was inside the stadium, it wasn’t nearly so cheerful for the Philadelphia police officers who had to herd the crowds. The game was frequently held on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, and just as visiting fans were showing up the day before, holiday shoppers also would descend on downtown. On those Fridays after Thanksgiving, the late Joseph P. Barrett, a longtime reporter for the Philadelphia Bulletin, recalled, even members of the police band were called upon to direct traffic. The cops nicknamed the day of gridlock Black Friday, and soon others started to do the same.
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...-is-wrong.html
Old 04 December 2013, 12:55 AM

Thanks Avril and Steve. It may be just me, but whenever I hear/see the term used I got the impression it was negative, it might be just me. Those explaination put a whole different spin on it. Gridlock my not be the greatest thing but I was expecting something different, like all the shoppers going insane in their mad rush to buy presents and food and such and was wondering why it happened so early .
Old 09 December 2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
When I worked in the display advertising department of our local newspaper many years ago, we had an issue with a number of area stores that would regularly place phony "Going out of business" ads to lure customers.
Dick Cavett used to tell a joke about the clothing store near Yale that had its "Going Out of Business" sign carved in marble -- "...and the u's were v's."