snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 29 November 2013, 01:50 AM

Mouse Stupid questions

This is related to another thread, but were any Snopesters ever teased for wearing glasses or having acne? Because as I mentioned in said thread, I was bullied for a lot of things but never for acne or glasses.
Old 29 November 2013, 02:20 AM

Just to carry over from what I said in the previous thread, I was bullied for hundreds of things but never for wearing glasses (or braces or acne).
Old 29 November 2013, 04:33 AM

Not bullied but definitely teased (especially by my brother -- ah the sweet satisfaction when he hit his late teens and had to get glasses himself ). I can remember not wearing my glasses through most of high school because I was self conscious about them, although I don't remember being teased by that point. Guess the damage had already been done.

Luckily by the time I wanted to drive I had smartened up a bit about wearing my glasses even if that did make me a "four eyes" .
Old 29 November 2013, 04:49 AM

Yeah looking back while if you asked someone in my highschool to describe a prototypical nerd they would always have glasses and glasses have always been one of the quick visual shorthands to denote "nerd" in media (In fact I would be hard pressed to come up with many example of "nerd" characters in movies/TV/etc that didn't wear glasses) it also seemed that simply having glasses wasn't enough to earn the "nerd" moniker.

I think part of the issue is that I sorta remember glasses making something of a minor comeback in fashion and style in my mid-late teens and early adulthood. Cervus and Mouse are in my rough age bracket so maybe they saw the same thing.

One thing I did notice is that roughly 1990 or so you could all of sudden get a lot more styles of glasses then you could previously, which might have been a factor. For instance in my childhood years I had to get fairly heavy frames for my, rather extreme, vision. By high school I could get a much wider variety and now if I don't mind spending a little cash I'm have pretty much the same frame choices as someone with a much lighter prescription.
Old 29 November 2013, 05:02 AM

Not having acne directly, no, but teased because of my hairstyle (which was the way it was because of my acne), yes.

I'd also add, Joe, that the glasses that were around in the '90's, when I first got mine were generally unflattering to most people, most styles having very large, very round lenses regardless of prescription. Modern styles have a wider variety of shapes to flatter different face shapes, as well as the ability to grind thinner lenses.
Old 29 November 2013, 06:12 AM

I remember desperately wanting glasses in middle school and being really pleased when I finally got a weak prescription (I didn't really need glasses until my late 20s, and I can still get away without wearing them, even though distances are noticeably blurry).

I think that was related to what I did get teased and bullied for: looking young and being short. I looked very young for my age, and it didn't help that I was completely clueless about fashion and tended to dress either immaturely or way too old. The worst thing possible thing in middle school was looking like a child, and I looked like a child. I liked the glasses because they aged me a bit. Even now, I'll use them as a semi-prop if I want to look more professional - I have a classic baby face with the 'cute' button nose (it's not so cute when you get ID'd in a bar on a business trip in front of your colleagues), so the glasses help disguise that (I say semi-prop because those are the situations where I actually need to wear them. I wear glasses to see, but the cosmetic effects are a bonus).
Old 29 November 2013, 06:56 PM

I didn't need glasses until after I was grown, but my acne was always a target for nasty teasing.
Old 29 November 2013, 09:04 PM

I just noticed on Facebook that it said under my own "about" section that "[A friend] said you live in [this city]". I never have filled in the Location entries or several other parts of my profile.

Is Facebook now filling in publicly-viewable profile details based on information gleaned about you from your friends? Do you have to approve it for it to be publicly viewable, or is that automatic?
Old 29 November 2013, 09:49 PM

Not only was I bullied for having glasses, the teachers would basically tell me and my parents that if I wasn't 'lazy' I wouldn't need glasses.

One flat out told my parents that he was going to do nothing to stop the bullying, because I needed 'to learn that it's not all about her, and we can't cater to every whiny kid'.

Needless to say, my parents yanked me out of his class ASAP.
Old 29 November 2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil'sGirl View Post
Needless to say, my parents yanked me out of his class ASAP.
Good! That's almost unbelievable that a teacher could be so callous and obtuse.
Old 30 November 2013, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Billion View Post
Good! That's almost unbelievable that a teacher could be so callous and obtuse.
It was in 1978, we didn't yet have anti-bullying anything. This was also the same school when kids/parents would complain about bullying and the response was invariably "What did you do to make them bully you?"

Not a good time to be a kid in that school district.
Old 30 November 2013, 02:17 AM

I always loved the "just ignore them and they'll stop" which was the advice in the '80s... I had the horrible glasses but mostly, I was just awkward.
Old 30 November 2013, 02:25 AM

Bad advice about bullies was still prevalent in the 90's. I got told "Ignore them and they'll go away," "The boys are only teasing you because they like you!" and "Well, why do you have to be so weird all the time?"
Old 30 November 2013, 02:32 AM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
This is related to another thread, but were any Snopesters ever teased for wearing glasses or having acne?
Yes to both although I was much more bullied about wearing glasses than having acne. However, they were just two things among dozens of things I was bullied about so I don't think things would have been much different had I not had glasses or acne.

Brian
Old 30 November 2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arriah View Post
I always loved the "just ignore them and they'll stop" which was the advice in the '80s.
It was the advice in the '70s as well. IMHO, the biggest lie in creation next to "Sticks and stone can break my bones but words can never hurt me."
Old 30 November 2013, 02:21 PM

The bad advice about bullying didn't really change until the increase in school shootings during the mid-90's.
Old 30 November 2013, 06:22 PM

Why do people put spirits (scotch, bourbon, etc.) in decanters?
Old 30 November 2013, 06:34 PM

For looks. It's a good way to have your alcohol evaporate over time if you leave it that way. A lot of times people just use decanters for parties, which is fine. People who store their spirits that way are losing alcohol and taste.
Old 01 December 2013, 03:09 PM

What would happen if I used flavored water in my coffee maker? Would it make drinkable if bizarrely flavored coffee, or would the sugars and flavoring gum up the works and ruin the maker?
Old 01 December 2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
What would happen if I used flavored water in my coffee maker? Would it make drinkable if bizarrely flavored coffee, or would the sugars and flavoring gum up the works and ruin the maker?
I wouldn't think it would hurt anything. You might want to run plan water through it from time to time to keep it clean.
Closed Thread