snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 18 September 2013, 09:58 PM

Default Stupid questions

What is the most number of a direct lineage descendants that have been alive in one family at one time?

I mean hypothetically let's crunch the numbers. Average lifespan in the US is about 80 years and the statistical average age for a woman to have their first child is around 25 (numbers rounded off to make the math easier) so in American the most you're going to see in an average family is:

~80 year old woman
~55 year old daughter
~30 year old grand daughter
~5 year old great granddaughter.

So you probably don't see that many cases of living great, great grandparents in the US (and other places where women tend to wait until their mid to late 20s to have their fist child) and countries where women tend to give birth earlier also tend to have lower average life expediencies so you probably don't see that many of them period.

But averages are just that and statistical anomalies are going to occur. So let's play with some scenarios.

The oldest living (confirmed) woman was 125 years old. The youngest living (confirmed) mother was 5. That means theoretically you could have a living 26 generation lineage. But the 5 year old mother was a freak occurrence. Let's look at a more realistic number. Let's say 15. That would give us an 8 person living lineage.

***BTW Hopefully I don't have to point out that I'm speaking completely hypothetically on a purely biological level, ignoring the distasteful social implications many of these scenarios might have.**

So has there been an 8 living ancestor scenario? A 9? A 7?

And here's a question, what if you did it for men? Would the number be less or more?

Is there any official record on any of this?

ETA: There's a family here in Virginia that has a verified 6 deep lineage with a 111 year old woman, her 88 year old daughter, her 70 year old granddaughter, her 39 year old great grand daughter, her 16 year old great, great granddaughter, and a 7 week old great, great, great granddaughter (all ages as of 11 May 2012).

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...t-grandmother/

EETA: Ah looks like the record is 7 according to Guinness.

Quote:
The most generations alive in a single family has been seven. The youngest great-great-great-great-grandparent being Augusta Bunge (USA) aged 109 years 97 days, followed by her daughter aged 89, her grand-daughter aged 70, her great-grand-daughter aged 52, her great-great grand-daughter aged 33 and her great-great-great grand-daughter aged 15 on the birth of her great-great-great-great grandson on 21 January 1989.
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/...ations-(ever)/

Last edited by JoeBentley; 18 September 2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old 18 September 2013, 10:35 PM

We have a picture of Mama (DH's grandma), DH's mother, DH, his oldest daughter, and her daughter. Ages at the time, approximate as I don't remember exactly, 90,73, 49, 26, 8
Old 18 September 2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
EETA: Ah looks like the record is 7 according to Guinness.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/...ations-(ever)/
I think I remember seeing them on Record Breakers (BBC children's show featuring Roy Castle and Norris McWhirter, who was one of the founding editors of the Guinness Book of Records). Certainly they had a family on who'd just set the record for the number of living generations, featuring the female line, and it must have been in the late 1980s. So I'm guessing it was this family...

Thanks for finding that, as I had never been able to remember exactly how many generations there were, or how old. I knew it was a lot.
Old 18 September 2013, 11:46 PM

Why do so many girls? Like, talk, like this, and stuff? Like, I don't even know, you know? And they're, like, not even, like, high schoolers? But, like, in college...?

It's not valley-girl speak. It's more like Paris Hilton speak: wasted and vacant. They have nothing to say and nothing to think about except the next party.

Why do they talk this way? Obviously they do it because their friends do it, but how and when does it get started? Little kids (I hope) don't talk that way.
Old 18 September 2013, 11:49 PM

//Anecdotal//

I heard one theory that since Spanish uses rising inflections more so then English, this has influenced the language in areas with a high Spanish speaking population.

I have no idea if either of those are true or not.

But the rising inflection is more a characteristic of Valley Girl speak then of what Cervus is describing, which seems to be more of a... well stoned intonation then anything else.

Wonder if drug culture could be an influence? *Total spitballing there.*
Old 19 September 2013, 02:00 AM

I'll ask plainly the implicit back-question in Cervus' question: Why don't boys of similar backgrounds talk that way?
Old 19 September 2013, 02:08 AM

From chillas in the previous thread:
Quote:
Years ago a friend of mine and I went to our local Independence Day festival. While we were there we got a cup a fries and we drowned them in malt vinegar, because our philosophy was you just can't have too much.

We were almost done with the fries when the bottom of the cup dissolved through...
One of my favorite pages on TV Tropes is about poison and other dangerous substances dissolving the spoon (trope namer) or the vessel.
Old 19 September 2013, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Temple View Post
I'll ask plainly the implicit back-question in Cervus' question: Why don't boys of similar backgrounds talk that way?
Apparently girls and ˙oung women at where linguistic trends are at.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/28/sc...pagewanted=all
Old 19 September 2013, 02:55 AM

I haven't read Chloe's link yet, but I have to say I don't think it's vacuous or stupid or what ever. I think it's just another way the language has drifted. Everyone has verbal "fill" that they use. I used to say "You know?" a lot when I was a young kid. My stepd used to say "n stuff". Complaints about it sound a lot like "Why don't you kids get off my lawn!!!" or the hated "In my day we didn't talk/walk/dress/live/eat/etc. like that."

I'm not a huge fan of up speak or "He was all like and I was all like", but it is just another type of dialect or is it accent? There is a lot of stuff fashions etc. I'm not a fan of, but I'm sure my folks didn't like a lot of the stuff I did when I was a teen either.
Old 19 September 2013, 03:01 AM

That was a really groovy post, Sylvanz. Like, right on, sister.
Old 19 September 2013, 03:05 AM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanz View Post
....I'm not a fan of, but I'm sure my folks didn't like a lot of the stuff I did when I was a teen either.
That's the way I see it as well. I don't spent much time worrying about what young people are doing as long as it isn't hurting anyone. They are by definition immature, and they all grow up with time. If the day ever comes when young people start talking just like older people it would be far worse to me.
Old 19 September 2013, 03:07 AM

I can also say from direct experience that some college-aged boys also speak similarly, though those that do may be fewer in number than female students. Since men's voices are usually lower, sometimes the rising inflection pattern is less obvious.

But as one who sometimes slips into classic Valley Girl despite my many years, I can't throw that stone too far.
Old 19 September 2013, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
That was a really groovy post, Sylvanz. Like, right on, sister.
Far out Ganz. I have to say, though "cool" has hung in there for a good long time, and frankly, I don't really remember what phrases we used. I know there was a bit of a move for "tits", that never caught on big though it did get used. There was another one that didn't catch on and I cannot remember it for the life of me.

Oh, though I don't really remember much of what we said; I do remember what we didn't say. I know that groovy, and right on were a little before my time. That stuff was soooo 1960's early 70's.

Last edited by Sylvanz; 19 September 2013 at 03:14 AM. Reason: 'Cause I'm not quite that old. ;p
Old 19 September 2013, 03:31 AM

I'd be very happy if mothers were a minimum of 15 yo. Sorry, sore subject. Talk about mothers any younger makes me puke out of anger and protected outrage.
Old 19 September 2013, 03:34 AM

TV

Whenever this topic of "how kids these days speak" comes up I get a mental image of Richard Nixon on Laugh-In saying "Sock it to me!" Uh-huh. He was real hip.
Old 19 September 2013, 04:44 AM

Icon18

This is probably a very stupid question, but these are things you have to ask when you've lived in a desert all your life and are trying to write about cold places. My characters are teenagers in Maine in the late 80s/early 90s, and one of them has holed up in the other's house in the middle of the night to escape a rainstorm of Biblical proportions. My intent is for him to drape his soaked clothes over the radiator to dry. They'll probably get left there until morning, because he's too tired to deal with them right now and his host isn't keen on poking at another dude's dirty laundry. I have never even seen a radiator in person, let alone used one, so on a scale from "Yeah, that's totally a thing people do with no real problems" to "Enjoy your house fire/ruined clothing," how reasonable is this?

-Tabby
the princess with claws
Old 19 September 2013, 04:45 AM

Sometimes, when I'm sitting with my feet on the floor or standing, my cat Ash will come by and stop, turn around, and put one of his back paws on my foot. Then, he'll turn and attack.

Other than "he's a cat and cats are weird," is there a reason for this behavior? What's with the odd 'back paw touch' before turning and glomming onto my ankle?
Old 19 September 2013, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
//Anecdotal//

I heard one theory that since Spanish uses rising inflections more so then English, this has influenced the language in areas with a high Spanish speaking population.Wonder if drug culture could be an influence? *Total spitballing there.*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Temple View Post
We have a consultant who is an American living in Spain since 15 years. He's also from the Pacific North West, and similar age (mid 40s). It sometimes seems every sentence out of his mouth includes either a "like" or a "you know". Drives me nuts, especially since I rarely talk with native American English speakers, I'm no longer used to (as much as I ever was) to this habit.
Old 19 September 2013, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbyclaw View Post
I have never even seen a radiator in person, let alone used one, so on a scale from "Yeah, that's totally a thing people do with no real problems" to "Enjoy your house fire/ruined clothing," how reasonable is this?

-Tabby
the princess with claws
(I've never lived in Maine, but I lived in Massachusetts, and I'm going to assume there's not too much difference.)

If the radiator looks like this:

then yes, you could put clothes on it, though I don't think I ever have. This is a hot-water radiator made of cast iron of a type often found in older MA houses. The outside gets warm to the touch, but not hot enough to damage clothes, usually. They make newer versions of these that are more modern in style, but I don't know how hot they get.

If you're thinking of one of these things:

which I call a space heater but have heard some people call a radiator, then absolutely no clothes should be put on it. I suppose you could hang clothes at a safe distance in front of it?

I've lived in MA houses with baseboard heat as well, but that would be too low and narrow to put much of anything on.
Old 19 September 2013, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbyclaw View Post
This is probably a very stupid question, but these are things you have to ask when you've lived in a desert all your life and are trying to write about cold places. My characters are teenagers in Maine in the late 80s/early 90s, and one of them has holed up in the other's house in the middle of the night to escape a rainstorm of Biblical proportions. My intent is for him to drape his soaked clothes over the radiator to dry. They'll probably get left there until morning, because he's too tired to deal with them right now and his host isn't keen on poking at another dude's dirty laundry. I have never even seen a radiator in person, let alone used one, so on a scale from "Yeah, that's totally a thing people do with no real problems" to "Enjoy your house fire/ruined clothing," how reasonable is this?

-Tabby
the princess with claws
Hmmm, never lived in a house with radiators, but we had them in elementary school and I seem to remember putting our wet mittens on them without burning the school down. I also have a friend who lives in an old Victorian, and her radiators do not seem to be hot enough to start a fire. It's an interesting question.
Closed Thread