snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 13 December 2016, 05:22 PM

What's their current ad like? I don't think I've seen one for Slim Jim in a few years.
Old 13 December 2016, 09:15 PM

Glasses

The simplest one to describe shows an Amish man who picked up two black men whose car broke down. One of the blacks asks what it's like not to have the internet. The Amish man says something like "it's fine. I just get my pictures of your mother through the mail."

Seaboe
Old 13 December 2016, 10:04 PM

Which really manages to be insulting to everybody in the ad.
Old 14 December 2016, 04:36 AM

Oh, that one. Yeah, I'd blocked that one out.
Old 14 December 2016, 02:10 PM

Glasses

They have three or four, all of which are horrible.

Seaboe
Old 21 December 2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
What's their current ad like? I don't think I've seen one for Slim Jim in a few years.

Our luck had to run out some time.
Old 21 December 2016, 07:25 PM

Chevy has been running ads touting the durability of their steel bodied Silverado versus Ford's aluminum bodied F-150. They essentially imply that aluminum is weak and fragile while steel is strong and durable and manly. They make airplanes out of aluminum. I would think if aluminum was weak it would be a poor choice for that application.

But they shoot themselves in the foot because it's rumored that in a few years GM is going to start making aluminum trucks, too. So they're basically knocking their own future products in order to market their current one.
Old 23 December 2016, 12:34 AM

I don't know what the company was but they were selling teddy grams. A super sleezy guy with a heart tattoo bought his girlfriend a teddy with a heart tattoo and the girl acted like it was the sexiest thing anyone had ever done for her. Anyway the actor was so off-putting and over the top that I thought it was the worst ad I'd seen.
Old 27 December 2016, 12:02 PM

Icon18

WildaBeast, I've seen the ad you're talking about and I just can't help but wonder if the props used on the respective trucks are the exact same props, that is, one of them hasn't had its edges sharpened, or was thrown in a particular way.

Yeah I'm cynical like that.
Old 27 December 2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Chevy has been running ads touting the durability of their steel bodied Silverado versus Ford's aluminum bodied F-150. They essentially imply that aluminum is weak and fragile while steel is strong and durable and manly. They make airplanes out of aluminum. I would think if aluminum was weak it would be a poor choice for that application.
Of course it's all relative. Aluminum is weak compared to steel. But it's lighter too. Of course titanium alloys ate great. But then there's the expense...

It comes down to a trade off between various properties. It always does.
Old 27 December 2016, 01:59 PM

Speaking of commercials that compare apples to oranges I loathe the commercials for Charmin that claim their toilet tissue is vastly superior to the "one ply bird brand". That's only a fair comparison if their brand is also a one ply. Do they think that consumers are unaware that this makes a pretty big difference in the quality of the product? Not to mention the price?
Old 27 December 2016, 02:38 PM

Bird brand?
Old 27 December 2016, 03:26 PM

I asked that question here a few years ago and was told it was "White Swan" which is a Canadian based company - I didn't even realize they made toilet paper and I still don't see them in the stores I usually patronize. If someone knows of another brand that could be called "the bird brand" I'd be interested to know what it is!
Old 02 January 2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I'm pretty sure I've seen one of those that listed both drowsiness and insomnia, and another that listed constipation and diarrhea as possible side effects. I wondered if they meant that both side effects would happen together...
Both combinations are actually possible. I have had drowsiness and insomnia. You are utterly exhausted, but when you try to sleep you keep waking up. It sucks.

Diarrhoea Can be a symptom of constipation, if you are backed up enough that only liquids can get through.
Old 02 January 2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
WildaBeast, I've seen the ad you're talking about and I just can't help but wonder if the props used on the respective trucks are the exact same props, that is, one of them hasn't had its edges sharpened, or was thrown in a particular way.

Yeah I'm cynical like that.
Even if the test was "fair" in that respect, I wonder how realistic it is. Even among truck buyers who actually work in construction, will they really be haphazardly dumping bucketloads of cinder blocks from a front end loader into the bed on a regular basis? Even if the aluminum bed truely doesn't hold up as under that extreme test, I suspect it will be more than adequate for what most buyers will be using it for. Even actual construction workers.
Old 03 January 2017, 12:32 PM

Icon13

An anti-smoking PSA shows a woman dancing with her seriously ill husband. The message is that "what will be doesn't have to be" - i.e. you can avoid a lot of diseases if you don't smoke. It's really quite touching, but the problem is the song they're dancing to: Que Sera Sera, which states essentially the opposite sentiment.

At least it's not one of those that show images of quivering diseased lungs or ugly amputations caused by smoking. Those are probably pretty effective for their target audience, but basically just make dinnertime TV very unpleasant for those of us who DON'T smoke.
Old 03 January 2017, 09:08 PM

I thought the point of using that song was that the ill man does not have much longer of a future/"what will be" Agreed though.