snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 04 October 2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminatus View Post
That said, with the exception of Braugher, who has some real acting chops, they have apparently gone the "Prettier = better" casting route.
The show actually looks uninteresting enough to me that I haven't watched it and don't intend to, despite having adored Andre Braugher since Homicide. Apparently I won't watch him in anything, after all.
Old 06 October 2012, 10:43 AM

I'm really liking the Australian show House Husbands.
Old 14 October 2012, 10:06 AM

I got a DVD box set of the first three seasons of Breaking Bad yesterday. I'm sure I shouldn't think it's as funny as I do...

I've only watched two episodes so far, but the only thing that annoyed me from episode 2 is the big continuity mistake from the pilot / first episode - or even the first scene in the second episode - over the facial injuries that Jesse had. They try to make up for it by showing him applying some face cream as makeup to hide it at one point, but he goes from having a face that's basically purple with a few cuts and one eye swollen completely shut, to no visible bruising or abrasions at all and only a slight swelling of his eye, in the space of what's meant to be about three or four hours.

I like that they show some of the chemistry lessons, and it appears he's actually teaching them chemistry, and the class are more-or-less behaving and trying to work, as well. Almost every other TV programme I've seen with scenes set in a US school shows almost no work being done at all, and then the bell rings (seemingly right at the start of the lesson) and everybody immediately leaves in the middle of the teacher's sentence.
Old 14 October 2012, 12:38 PM

Theme Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTex View Post
I watched Revolution and I really enjoyed it.

A couple of things bugged me though--There are seemingly no bicycles and no modern weapons.

I?
Cracked.com had a list of ordinary things you don't see in a post-apocalyptic world. Bikes were one of them.
It is a pretty good show though.
Old 14 October 2012, 12:42 PM

Whalephant

I watched Arrow. It was a little eh but it was only the first episode. I'll give it another few to find its feet.
Old 14 October 2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I got a DVD box set of the first three seasons of Breaking Bad yesterday. I'm sure I shouldn't think it's as funny as I do...
I haven't watched the show, but from what I've read and the interview I saw with the creator on The Daily Show, I suspect at least some of the humor you're seeing was intended.
Old 14 October 2012, 01:49 PM

I watched a bit of Beauty and the Beast, and now I'm all angry and sad at the state of tv in this modern age.
Old 14 October 2012, 01:54 PM

I watched an episode of The Mindy Project and liked it. I've liked Mindy Kaling (if not her characters) in everything else I've seen her in. Her character in this show is likable -- nothing like her character in The Office.
Old 14 October 2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTex View Post
I watched Revolution and I really enjoyed it.

A couple of things bugged me though--There are seemingly no bicycles and no modern weapons.

I get that they are trying to capitalize on The Hunger Games audience, but seriously, the militia carries muskets?
Funny thing is in Stirling's change series bicycles are very much in use for moving people and equipment. Of course the tires are just layered rubber and it's a rough ride.

But considering the trend in modern bicycles towards light frames of various composites, I can see it being hard to maintain them for long with the tools on hand.

Modern firearms is a combination of militia's hording them for later use and after 15yrs ammo stores are low (one character mentioned they can't make smokeless powder) along with weapon's wearing out overtime. Muskets and black powder are relatively simple to make with the crude technology available
Old 15 October 2012, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter_raven View Post
Copper- pretty decent show about a NYC detective in 1864 NY Five Points district (takes place a few months after the riots shown at the end of Gangs of New York)
I've gotten hooked by this show, too!
Old 15 October 2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I haven't watched the show, but from what I've read and the interview I saw with the creator on The Daily Show, I suspect at least some of the humor you're seeing was intended.
Oh, it's definitely a comedy. It's just that I still feel I probably shouldn't find it as funny as I do.
Old 15 October 2012, 09:59 AM

I got caught up with the first two episodes of the new series of Red Dwarf and... it's GOOD. Really good. Like, Series IV or V good. I really hope it can maintain the quality in the new four episodes, but it's a fantastic start, especially after the misfire that was Back To Earth.
Old 15 October 2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy0405 View Post
I'm really liking the Australian show House Husbands.
A couple of the main actors were in the various series of Underbelly. You might also like those.
Old 19 October 2012, 12:26 AM

Watching Revolution and starting to wonder about those pendants. 2 of the people that we initially saw with the pendants didn't exactly seem like the type to knowingly work on a project that would wipe out huge portions of the human race.

So were they part of the project and someone misused it, was it to counter another groups project or was the turning off of electricity to prevent something worse? (hence the reluctance to just turn the power back on)
Old 19 October 2012, 02:40 PM

As to Revolution, Eric Kripke has said that he doesn't like stringing things out, so it should be clear by the end of the season what the reason for the power going out on was. I am still convinced that it was a group trying to prevent global warming, and saw the only method left to avert disaster was to completely shut down power.

But, I don't think I'll ever find out. I really wanted to like it, but last weeks show was my last. I could ignore all the problems (Cracked has an article on the 10 dumbest things on TV this season, and it is Revolution heavy) if I liked the characters, but Charlie is way too annoying.
Old 19 October 2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
As to Revolution, Eric Kripke has said that he doesn't like stringing things out, so it should be clear by the end of the season what the reason for the power going out on was. I am still convinced that it was a group trying to prevent global warming, and saw the only method left to avert disaster was to completely shut down power.

But, I don't think I'll ever find out. I really wanted to like it, but last weeks show was my last. I could ignore all the problems (Cracked has an article on the 10 dumbest things on TV this season, and it is Revolution heavy) if I liked the characters, but Charlie is way too annoying.
People's responses to the use of black powder firearms in the show is a pet peeve of mine. There seems to be a severe underestimation in the difficulty involved crafting items by hand without modern equipment and techniques. I'd love to put those people in a room with salvaged materials and some hand tools and see what they can turn out.

I think the age of instant information on the internet has left many people without a clue how scarce actual knowledge can be outside the net. Without power there is a finite amount of knowledge to perform certain tasks in the world - printed material with sufficient info to learn from or people skilled enough to teach.
Until they can teach more people or more people can "reinvent" the techniques then anything beyond rudimentary construction is going to be pretty rare. And that's just using salvage materials, once they actually have to cut their own lumber or make their own cloth things get interesting.
Old 19 October 2012, 04:07 PM

Man! I completely missed out on the parallels between Star Wars and Revolution
Old 19 October 2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter_raven View Post
People's responses to the use of black powder firearms in the show is a pet peeve of mine. There seems to be a severe underestimation in the difficulty involved crafting items by hand without modern equipment and techniques. I'd love to put those people in a room with salvaged materials and some hand tools and see what they can turn out.
I personally know five people who could make more advanced firearms than they have in the show without electricity. Two of them are a father and son, but the rest don't know each other as far as I know. It may be that Utah just happens to have a large number of at home gunsmiths, although one of those five lives in Pennsylvania. The biggest problem would be turning a lathe, and I could make a steam engine that would do that.

As to printed info that people could learn from, there are plenty of university libraries around where people could get textbooks that can fill in a lot of gaps. If all of this actually happened, I would be spending most of my time in aftermath at the University of Utah library. They have a good library, but would by no means be an unusually good one.

But even if we say there just aren't enough skilled people to make new weapons, there is still a major problem. There are approximately 270 million guns in private hands in the US. It has been 15 years, so some of those will no longer be working, but the show also gives the impression that the population is greatly reduced. There should be multiple guns per person available. The equivalent of the military should certainly not be reduced to using black powder muskets.
Old 19 October 2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
The biggest problem would be turning a lathe, and I could make a steam engine that would do that.
This is the thing thatbothers ME about this show -- simple machines that can power equipment and machinery without electricity do not work!!! or at least are not being shown to work.

Humans are inherently lazy, and tend to output as much energy as they can upfront to save on the back end -- i would expect to see at least a few steam powered devices out there.
Old 19 October 2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Done_Living View Post
...i would expect to see at least a few steam powered devices out there.
DW still watches, and as I was passing through the room this week, I saw that they had a steam powered train. I don't know who was running it, but I believe it was the militia.