snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 25 September 2012, 12:12 AM

So, DW, who tends to just kick back and enjoy shows more than me really likes Revolution. And, she just told me what she thinks it's about.

Science cabal turns off all electricity in order to stop global warming.
I completely agree, and it changes the show for me a bit. It can help justify the quick response. I think it is something along those lines, whether government agency or Ras al Ghul finally winning or whatever.

sorry to hijack.
Old 25 September 2012, 07:38 AM

I have also started watching Revolution. What I would like to know as a Chicagoan is where are they getting these great Chicago skyline views from? I don't know many places where the city looks like that, except a few spots along the lake and I didn't see any water around. I also though the Wrigley Field area looked weird unless someone tore down all the other buildings but maybe it was just the way they shot it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
Or that one character has an AC/DC concert t-shirt fifteen years after everything shut down. For that matter, everyone wears what looks like factory produced clothing.
That bugged me a little too.
Old 27 September 2012, 04:26 PM

I have a Max Payne 2 t-shirt, 9 years old, still looks brand new.
Like the show a lot so far, and I'm actually pretty interested in how the Monroe Republic was formed.

I saw the first episode of Vegas and also liked it, pretty fun seeing Dennis Quaid's sheriff and Michael Chiklis's mafia guy. The show also has that guy from Terra Nova and Detective Rebecca Madsen from Alcatraz, so all it needs is someone from The Chicago Code or something to be a big refuge of actors from cancelled TV shows...
Old 27 September 2012, 04:34 PM

The TV Without Pity recaps for Revolution summed up what is the biggest issue for me. For someone that (more or less) grew up in the post-electricity crapsack world, Charlie is ridiculously naive and/or idealistic.

Maybe the Monroe Confederation is really a very good form of government. Otherwise the little villiage that Charlie lived in would have been subjected to the kinds of abuse and petty tyrancy that would have made her more hardened to the cruelities some humans are capable of.
Old 27 September 2012, 04:42 PM

Overlooking the slavery, that you can have the crap beaten out of you for looking at militia members wrong, and execution for having the American flag?

I've seen a lot of talk about Charlie being an idiot, I thought her gambit in the second episode was pretty clever.
Old 27 September 2012, 04:54 PM

The second part was more of a joke really. Also, the flag is the symbol of a terrorist (to the government) organization. So the execution may be for belonging to a known terrorist organization.

Yes, it was one clever moment. But she's had some doozies of stupid moments. Setting off alone after Drunkle, leaving her companions alone without notice could easily have gotten either her or them killed. After almost being raped (and maybe killed), they most certainly should have been keeping watch at night. If so, that meant she left them asleep when they were counting on her to guard them. If they weren't keeping watch, then all three of them are stupid.
Old 27 September 2012, 04:59 PM

Given all the sympathies I've seen for various evil Empires, I can never tell anymore if someone is genuine.

Perhaps they thought that road was safe enough.
Old 27 September 2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xia View Post
What I would like to know as a Chicagoan is where are they getting these great Chicago skyline views from? I don't know many places where the city looks like that, except a few spots along the lake and I didn't see any water around. I also though the Wrigley Field area looked weird unless someone tore down all the other buildings but maybe it was just the way they shot it.
According to the IMDB the show is filmed in North and South Carolina, so any Chicago landmarks in the shots have been added by special effects. Sort of like on "Lost," which was all filmed in Hawaii, where they would CG the Sydney Opera House into the background of every scene set in Sydney.
Old 27 September 2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sender View Post
I have a Max Payne 2 t-shirt, 9 years old, still looks brand new.
I was wondering why Darth Credence expected t-shirts (and other clothes? Or only band t-shirts?) to randomly disappear just because a certain amount of time had passed, as well. At first I thought he meant that it was anachronistic because the show took place before AC/DC played any concerts.
Old 27 September 2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I was wondering why Darth Credence expected t-shirts (and other clothes? Or only band t-shirts?) to randomly disappear just because a certain amount of time had passed, as well. At first I thought he meant that it was anachronistic because the show took place before AC/DC played any concerts.
I think the implication was that the tee shirt would have been faded, ripped and worn out beyond recognition, particularly if that character had been wearing it since the blackout.
Old 27 September 2012, 05:54 PM

Also don't forget that the modern processes of washing are going to be gone. Either they'll be back to pounding with a rock or they'll be using washboards and wringers. Both are probably a lot harder on clothes than the modern processes.
Old 30 September 2012, 03:12 PM

Checked out the Mindy Project starring Kelly from the Office. Very funny.

Revolution? Meh
Old 01 October 2012, 03:42 PM

My thoughts on the shirt was how does a fifteen year old shirt, which the character has worn in both episodes, still look brand new? While I personally have a G'n'R tee that is that old in good shape, I've only worn it a half dozen times and it was always cleaned in a modern washing machine. As Centex and GenYus said, wearing it as one of your main shirts for a decade and a half with no powered washing technology, I don't see how it looks that good.
Everyone in that show seems to be wearing factory made clothes. I would expect them to be wearing things more in line with Mad Max/The Road Warrior.

Watched The Last Resort and really liked it. DW is not so sure, because she thinks the U.S. wouldn't let it stand.

Also watched Elementary, and liked Lucy Liu more in this than anything else I've seen her in. It is not Sherlock, but it does have the advantage of more of it. It was good enough that I'm in for a few more episodes, at least.
Old 01 October 2012, 04:13 PM

While no new clothes are being made there would have been a lot of people die and their clothing redistributed. Everything that was in stores at the time would be in circulation. I don't think clothes are going to be a problem. I've had this conversation before. As a historical reenactor I have a lot of archaic clothing production knowledge but in the event of an apocalypse like in Revolution I don't think it will be used because so much clothing will still be around.

I've see so many discussions about this show that center around clothing. I suspect they might be doing something wrong if it's all about the stuff.
Old 01 October 2012, 04:21 PM

Watched Partners. Very very bad. Ben and Kate though was sweet and amusing with some potential. Also watched the New Normal. Little derivative of Modern Family and the gay couple are unbelievably perfect while the grandmother is unbelievably mean but some very witty writing.
Old 02 October 2012, 02:13 AM

I think the best thing I like about Revolution are the villains. These are seriously good actors, much better than the good guys
Old 04 October 2012, 03:57 AM

Just watched both episodes of The Mindy Project. Definitely a keeper for me . Oh please, please let Creed make a cameo.
Old 04 October 2012, 02:18 PM

I love the pilot of Last Resort, I will tend to give anything with a premise I've never seen before a lot of leeway. That said, with the exception of Braugher, who has some real acting chops, they have apparently gone the "Prettier = better" casting route. That usually undermines the quality of the show in the long run.
Old 04 October 2012, 03:04 PM

Revolution- not bad but also been a fan of Stirling's Change series for yrs.

Copper- pretty decent show about a NYC detective in 1864 NY Five Points district (takes place a few months after the riots shown at the end of Gangs of New York)
Old 04 October 2012, 03:46 PM

Watched all three episodes of Revolution and just not getting the love for it others obviously are but to each their own. Also watched Last Resort. That is an excellent show. Probably won't last.