snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 21 September 2012, 02:27 AM

Default What new shows are you watching?

So what new TV shows are people watching, and what do you think so far?

The only two I've caught so far are:

Revolution, which I thought was excellent. I've been disappointed in J.J. Abrams' recent series, like "Undercovers" and "Alcatraz", but the pilot didn't disappoint. Heavy on the action and intrigue, a strong cast, and quite a few surprises.

Mob Doctor I liked the pilot quite a bit, but suspect the show's going to lose steam pretty quick. The lead actress is very good, and I appreciated that she was morally ambiguous instead of a do-gooder. But I worry we're basically going to see her facing the same dilemmas every week. I'll keep watching and hope they surprise me, but my expectations aren't high.
Old 21 September 2012, 02:36 AM

I've been watching Go On. It's not amazing, but it's made me laugh a few times and it touches on a few subjects that are close to me. I've always liked Matthew Perry, and I'm a fan of any show or movie that can portray people with emotional problems without demonizing or ridiculing them. (Well, I guess you could argue there's a little ridiculing, since it's a sitcom, but the humor is sympathetic to the characters, you know?)
Old 21 September 2012, 02:38 AM

I'm liking The Newsroom. And even though it's not new, I've just got in to Justified.
Old 21 September 2012, 02:43 AM

Revolution sounds similar to something on my to-be-read pile, S. M. Stirling's Dies the Fire. Maybe the show's creators are fans of Stirling's Emberverse.
Old 21 September 2012, 03:54 AM

Canada

I want to catch the pilot of Elementary just to see how it goes, but let's face it: I've been spoiled by Sherlock, so the deck is already stacked against the new show. I haven't watched broadcast television in over a year, with the exception of sporting events, and nothing is really attracting my attention.
Old 21 September 2012, 03:55 AM

I have to say Mateus, you're being more generous than I am. I won't even watch the pilot.
Old 21 September 2012, 05:45 AM

Icon18

I'm also finding Go On sweet and charming, not laugh-out-loud funny but worth a couple grins and giggles per episode. Still debating whether I want to try Revolution; post-apoc is one of those genres that I adore in theory but which always disappoints me.

And not new but new to me, I just got into Haven last month and am champing at the bit for the new season.

-Tabby
the princess with claws
Old 21 September 2012, 02:19 PM

I watched Revolution, and while I enjoyed it, I don't have much hope for it in the future. I don't trust J. J. Abrams to have any sort of a plan, so I hope that he has very little actual control. If Erik Kripke is more in charge, then I think it may go well. (He created Supernatural, and had a five year plan from the beginning. And it works as a five season show, but the network kept it going after the obviously correct ending and it is no longer worthwhile, IMO.)

I'm really looking forward to The Last Resort tonight. I like Andre Braugher quite a bit, and the premise seems interesting. But it is another show that I think needs to have a plan with a clear end game.

That is the one thing I really wish network TV was willing to embrace - shows that do not try to go on forever. I think some plots need the time that a TV show can give instead of a movie, but when there is an unwillingness to let the story play out and end, I think shows tend to fall apart.
Old 21 September 2012, 02:35 PM

I watched Revolution and I really enjoyed it.

A couple of things bugged me though--There are seemingly no bicycles and no modern weapons.

I get that they are trying to capitalize on The Hunger Games audience, but seriously, the militia carries muskets?
Old 21 September 2012, 02:43 PM

I've watched 'The New Normal'. It's cute & funny. I like it which means it will be cancelled.
Old 21 September 2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTex View Post
I watched Revolution and I really enjoyed it.

A couple of things bugged me though--There are seemingly no bicycles and no modern weapons.

I get that they are trying to capitalize on The Hunger Games audience, but seriously, the militia carries muskets?
Or that one character has an AC/DC concert t-shirt fifteen years after everything shut down. For that matter, everyone wears what looks like factory produced clothing.

The immaculately groomed hair - the guy with the bow they met has a hairdo that I would think required some serious attention from clippers on a regular basis.

And why did lack of power suddenly cause planes to go into a spin and crash - while the running lights were still working, no less?

And now for spoilers:
The last scene is what makes me worry. It just reminds me too much of the hatch in Lost, which makes me think that Abrams has too much influence. The only way it makes sense to me is that there is something that is continuing to put out a field that suppresses electricity, and the flash drives block it. I have a hard time believing that for fifteen years, no one has been able to figure that out. When the power first turned off, before the collapse of the government, I would think every researcher out there would have been putting all effort into figuring out what went wrong. It can't just be part of a network and those are encrypted codes on the drives, because new networks would be built and batteries would have still worked. Really about the only answer that makes sense is magic, and I think that would be supremely unsatisfying.

Really, I enjoyed the show, and hope I can get past all of this.
Old 22 September 2012, 12:26 AM

Mouse

Yeah, I was underwhelmed by Revolution mostly because the characters don't look like they've roughed it for a weekend, let alone fifteen years, plus everything so far has been done before and better. Still it did inspire me to finally start reading the first book of S.M. Stirling's the change series.
Old 22 September 2012, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
I watched Revolution, and while I enjoyed it, I don't have much hope for it in the future. I don't trust J. J. Abrams to have any sort of a plan, so I hope that he has very little actual control. If Erik Kripke is more in charge, then I think it may go well. (He created Supernatural, and had a five year plan from the beginning. And it works as a five season show, but the network kept it going after the obviously correct ending and it is no longer worthwhile, IMO.)
That explains a lot. I enjoyed "Lost" for the first season but when it became clear there was going to be no reasonable solution I lost interest. I also enjoyed "Supernatural" but the fact that they had a five year plan and that time has passed explains a lot. Much as I am sad to see a favourite show end, better that they end it well rather then having it drift along aimlessly.

I am watching "The Body" a Swedish/ Danish co-production (so, yes, it's subtitled) about a body (or rather two half bodies) found on the boarder of the two countries.
Old 22 September 2012, 05:03 AM

I was surprised that I liked Revolution. Defiantly going to give a try for the rest of the season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post

And now for spoilers:
The last scene is what makes me worry. It just reminds me too much of the hatch in Lost, which makes me think that Abrams has too much influence. The only way it makes sense to me is that there is something that is continuing to put out a field that suppresses electricity, and the flash drives block it.

Really, I enjoyed the show, and hope I can get past all of this.
I thought it was the other way around. The google guy mentioned that laws of physics changed on them. I think the device creates a field that restores physics back to the way it was
However, where was the power to the computers coming from? I don't think I saw a generator in that scene. Also how are the messages going out of the field

An alternate explanation that I have is that the device is the power source. Whatever happened changes the way electricity behaves. Some of the researchers found out what is going to happen, and made these devices that can act as power sources ( don't ask me how) however, research into larger scale power sources would have been few decades off, but without access to computers and things like hadron colliders, it might take centuries to get there

Either way, the whole "physics changed on us, man" seems like a setup for hand waving a lot of things. Basically the creators can make up anything they want, and claim... Hey physics changed!!

Old 22 September 2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
I am watching "The Body" a Swedish/ Danish co-production (so, yes, it's subtitled) about a body (or rather two half bodies) found on the boarder of the two countries.
Heh. That's the plot of Bon Cop, Bad Cop (only substituting Ontario and Quebec.)

My new favourite show is Gravity Falls. Adult shows? Pshaw.
Old 22 September 2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
The google guy mentioned that laws of physics changed on them.
It seemed to me that the laws of physics had already changed prior to the blackout. How else could the Matheson family live in a house in the LA suburbs that had a view of downtown Chicago?
Old 23 September 2012, 01:02 AM

If electricity, as a concept, stopped working, wouldn't we all die?
Old 23 September 2012, 09:57 AM

Atomic or molecular bonds are electromagnetic, and so is light (the electromagnetic spectrum), so it's hard to see how the universe itself would carry on working the way it does. I suppose it depends on how they handwave their explanation, though.
Old 24 September 2012, 02:35 PM

I have just assumed that the guy who said the laws of physics changed was not entirely accurate.
Old 24 September 2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Jay View Post
Also how are the messages going out of the field
My theory on that part is that (for whatever reason), electromagnetic radiation still works. Which would have to be the case for plants to still grow and for people to make vitamin D. So each computer station has a small shortwave radio transmitter with it, to send and receive signals.

The issue I had with that scene is much broader. The woman gets an instant response to her message. As the time seemed to pretty close to right after the militia left her house it isn't like there is a set time and day for sending signals. Which means that wherever she sent it is both contstantly running a magic fob, but also has someone sitting at the computer ready to respond. Which means both an area where they do not fear detection and enough people and supplies to dedicate at least one person to just message duty. Both of those imply a large organization with resources. Resources which could be used to do something other than just listen.

The other big problem I have is that the show's plot seems to be running off a checklist.

Plucky tomboy heroine: Check
Long dead mother: Check
Disliked stepmother (sort of): Check
Father killed by the evil organization: Check
Loved one taken by the EO: Check
Mysterious stranger who may or may not be working with the EO but may also be a love interest for our plucky tomboy heroine: Check
Tough fighter who gave up his ways but has taken them up again: Check
Super secret organization: Check

At least they left out the chubby comic relief guy... Oh right.