snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 10 January 2012, 09:44 AM

#2 is flower.

#5 is Dancing with the Stars judges.

#7- theme songs that describe the main character(s)?
Old 10 January 2012, 10:03 AM

The answer to last week's question 7:
7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these entertaining people? Roy Acuff, Melvin Belli, Clark Gable, Benny Goodman, Michael Jackson, Steve McQueen, Roy Rogers, Mack Sennett? Each is sometimes referred to as "the King of" his respective field: Country, Torts, Hollywood, Swing, Pop, Cool, Cowboys, and Comedy. I hope to see my own name on that list someday due to my (IMHO) world-class level of macrame expertise.
Old 10 January 2012, 10:37 AM

3. What famed rock bassist retired in 1992 to open a chain of restaurants called Sticky Fingers Cafe?

Bill Wyman
Old 10 January 2012, 10:43 AM

Baseball

1. Madonna's upcoming feature-length directorial debut, W.E., is named for what famous pair of lovers? I dunno. Sid and Nancy?

2. A calyx made of sepals is the bottommost part of what?

I dunno. Teeth?

3. What famed rock bassist retired in 1992 to open a chain of restaurants called Sticky Fingers Cafe?

I dunno. John Deacon?

4. In what country were boxer Manny Pacquiao and quarterback Tim Tebow both born?

I dunno. The US?

5. What position have Carrie Ann Inaba, Len Goodman, and Bruno Tonioli filled since 2005?

I dunno. The chair of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences?

6. P. D. James's new murder mystery Death Comes to Pemberley is an unasked-for sequel to what classic novel?

I dunno. Murder on the Orient Express.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these TV series and mini-series? The Beverly Hillbiliies, Davy Crockett, Firefly, Gilligan's Island, Have Gun Will Travel, The Rebel.

Taking a guess here...as always. During a reunion episode, all have had to replace one of the actors with a double. At least that happened in Gilligan's Island.

Jeepers. 2 for 7 two weeks ago. 3 for 7 last week. This week I'm shooting for a goose egg.
Old 10 January 2012, 11:42 AM

1. Madonna's upcoming feature-length directorial debut, W.E., is named for what famous pair of lovers?

No idea.

A flower/blossom

Bill Wyman?

4. In what country were boxer Manny Pacquiao and quarterback Tim Tebow both born?

The Phillipines?

5. What position have Carrie Ann Inaba, Len Goodman, and Bruno Tonioli filled since 2005?

Not a clue.

6. P. D. James's new murder mystery Death Comes to Pemberley is an unasked-for sequel to what classic novel?

Arrgh - should know this!

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these TV series and mini-series? The Beverly Hillbiliies, Davy Crockett, Firefly, Gilligan's Island, Have Gun Will Travel, The Rebel.

Radios made out of coconuts.

Yikes. Tough bunch this week!
Old 10 January 2012, 12:06 PM

Similar to kitap, I was thinking #7 was theme songs that give the backstory for the series.
Old 10 January 2012, 02:35 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLloyd View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Madonna's upcoming feature-length directorial debut, W.E., is named for what famous pair of lovers?

Wallis and Edward
Quote:
a fuschia
Quote:
That guy from the Stones
Quote:
Samoa
Quote:
Backup singers for Tony Bennett
Quote:
Pride & Prejudice
Quote:
They all feature train robberies.

1 for 7 this week.

Seaboe
Old 11 January 2012, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLloyd View Post
Boy, I remember it. I can still quote the little song the kids chanted to get him to appear:

"Hail, hail, fire and snow. Call the angel, we will go. Far away, for to see, Friendly Angel come to me."

Mac"it is amazing what the brain will store away for later recall"Lloyd
That is exactly it. Man o man, the friendly angel. I'd forgotten. Nightmares tonight for sure. Thanks in advance for the nocturnal adventure, MacLloyd.
Old 11 January 2012, 01:00 PM

United Kingdom All sauces based on brown sugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
That guy from the Stones
Fred? Barney?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker
1 for 7 this week.
Hmm. I see two and Lilly would probably have given you a third.

Last edited by SMWinnie; 11 January 2012 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Hate unseemly false modesty...
Old 11 January 2012, 03:12 PM

Wow, I can actually jump in on a number 7!
I believe it is they all have a theme song titled "The Ballad of _______". I know it is the "Ballad of Jed Clampett" and "The Ballad of Paladin". There is definitely a "Ballad of Davy Crockett", which I assume is the theme song to that one. And I'm fairly sure that it is "The Ballad of Serenity" and "The Ballad of Gilligan's Isle". I have not, however, heard of The Rebel.
Hey what the heck, I'll try the others.
1. No clue
2. I think calyx is an anatomy term, but it's not my area. I'll say spine, even though I think that is coccyx.
3. Since that is the name of a Rolling Stones album, it must be Bill Wyman.
4. I know this is the Phillipines, since I read the snopes' entry on Tebow and abortion recently.
5. No idea.
6. I should know Pemberly, but I can't come up with it.

Last edited by Darth Credence; 11 January 2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11 January 2012, 05:57 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMWinnie View Post
Hmm. I see two and Lilly would probably have given you a third.
Who's Lilly? I mean, my mother was Lily-Ann (note the hyphen, it's important), and while I'm sure she'd've given me as many answers as I wanted to claim, she's been gone for nine years now...

Seaboe
Old 13 January 2012, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Who's Lilly?
Lilly is Ken's official scorekeeper and grader.
Old 17 January 2012, 08:28 AM

Default Last Week's Answers

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. Madonna's upcoming feature-length directorial debut, W.E., is named for what famous pair of lovers? The movie is about American divorcee Wallis Simpson (the W.) and King Edward VIII (the E.) Madonna's not just the director, she's also the British dialect coach for all her hours.

2. A calyx made of sepals is the bottommost part of what? The sepals are those green not-petals at the base of a flower.

3. What famed rock bassist retired in 1992 to open a chain of restaurants called Sticky Fingers Cafe? Sticky Fingers is a Stones album, and this is what bassist Bill Wyman is doing with his retirement. That's right, he quit the biggest rock band in the history of the world to serve fish and chips to tourists.

4. In what country were boxer Manny Pacquiao and quarterback Tim Tebow both born? The Philippines (where Tebow's dad was a missionary). You know, I think we had a Manny Pacquiao question not long ago, but I couldn't resist the Tebow connection. Have a blessed day.

5. What position have Carrie Ann Inaba, Len Goodman, and Bruno Tonioli filled since 2005? They are the judges on TV's Dancing with the "Stars." Sorry, autocorrect just added the sarcastic quotes.

6. P. D. James's new murder mystery Death Comes to Pemberley is an unasked-for sequel to what classic novel? Pemberley is the Derbyshire estate of Mr. Darcy, the "Prejudice" of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. Wait, unless he's "Pride."

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these TV series and mini-series? The Beverly Hillbiliies, Davy Crockett, Firefly, Gilligan's Island, Have Gun Will Travel, The Rebel. Each show's theme song is explicitly entitled a "Ballad": "The Ballad of Serenity," "The Ballad of Paladin," etc.
Old 17 January 2012, 08:29 AM

Default This Week's Questions

Per Ken Jennings' request, the trivia challenge discussed on this message board has the number seven question delayed by one week. This is to avoid easy googling of the question which is designed to foil those who would "cheat". If you know the current number seven question, please do not discuss it here.

The Rules of the Thread
1. If you use the thread to help you get answers, do not submit those answers to the official game.
2. No googling until Sunday. No looking anything up anywhere (and posting it) before Sunday. No checking an article in a magazine you read last week. No checking some old notebook from college. No wikipedia. Not even snopes.com. No checking anything, anywhere - until Sunday. Only information that is stored in your brain, or in the brains of your non-snopester friends and family. But you can't use your family members as a work-around to looking up the information yourself.
3. If you google, don't post that information to the thread until Sunday. Not even as confirmation of the guesses of other posters. Someone else might still know the information on their own.
4. No guess is stupid, throw it out there.
5. No Hinting. If you have a guess or a reasonable belief that you have the right answer, post it. If you are attempting to use hinting as a work-around to the no posting googled answers rule, don't.

And remember, this is an exhibition, not a competition, so please... no wagering.

I'm writing this week's quiz over a rare snowy weekend in Seattle, so I'm going sledding with the kids before it all melts. Please write your own funny intro in this space. Consider it Question Eight. (But don't expect us to grade it.)

Grades for the other, non-essay portions of this week's quiz are always posted at http://ken-jennings.com/messageboard...pic.php?t=6716 , usually followed by a few angry posts from people who think they didn't get enough credit, but that's just human nature, I guess! Am I right folks?

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What was traditionally located on an Old West town's "Boot Hill"?

2. A new study in Nature Geoscience magazine blames toxic algae in Monterey Bay for the real-life event that inspired what classic 1963 thriller?

3. The site of what venerable stadium is now the Citi Field parking lot?

4. What country's southernmost city is Sanya, on Hainan Island?

5. What famed French anthropologist and "father of structuralism" once wrote, "Not a year goes by without my receiving an order for jeans"?

6. The Welsh tourist village of Portmeirion hosts an annual "Six of One" convention for fans of what cult TV show?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these U.S. presidents and no others? Jefferson, Madison, Garfield, Wilson, and Eisenhower?
Old 17 January 2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Graves

Quote:
2. A new study in Nature Geoscience magazine blames toxic algae in Monterey Bay for the real-life event that inspired what classic 1963 thriller?
The Birds???

Quote:
WAG - Shea Stadium??? and yes, I still hate sports questions!

Quote:
WAG again... China???

Quote:
5. What famed French anthropologist and "father of structuralism" once wrote, "Not a year goes by without my receiving an order for jeans"?
I have no idea, but I would guess that it would be someone named Levi Strauss

Quote:
6. The Welsh tourist village of Portmeirion hosts an annual "Six of One" convention for fans of what cult TV show?
Gotta be The Prisoner

Quote:
7. What unusual distinction is shared by these U.S. presidents and no others? Jefferson, Madison, Garfield, Wilson, and Eisenhower?
Wow, that is interesting. I can't think of a thing.

Mac"Only sure of two this week"Lloyd
Old 17 January 2012, 08:41 AM

Whalephant

#5 is Claude Levi-Strauss.
Old 17 January 2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
WAG: The cementary?
Old 17 January 2012, 08:59 AM

1. Cemetary
4. China
6. The Prisoner
Old 17 January 2012, 09:28 AM

Baseball

I've only been to one old west town, Tombstone, and Boot Hill was the location of the cemetery.

A guess here, but I'm thinking that it is The Blob.

Tiger Stadium?

Japan?

Dr Levi?

Star Trek?

They were all left handed?

Well, 1, maybe 2 for 7 this week.
Old 17 January 2012, 01:02 PM

A cemetery
WAG - The Blob?
The old Yankee stadium?
No clue. Okinawa?
Gotta be Levi-Strauss.
The Prisoner?
Wow - no idea whatsoever.