snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 03 January 2012, 03:37 PM

2. Which calendar month is observed as Black History Month in the U.S. and Canada?February

3. What has s, p, d, and f subshells?An atom, specifically, one high up on the periodic table or one that has been excited.

5. What married couple won 2011 CMT Music Awards for Male *and* Female Videos of the Year?Faith Hill and Mr Faith Hill

6. What English clergyman and economist published An Essay on the Principle of Population anonymously in 1798?Rev Killkenny
Old 03 January 2012, 03:47 PM

1. What 1980s movie protagonist is accidentally dubbed "Pierre Cardin" in the French translation of his film debut?
I'm guessing this is what Marty McFly was called rather than "Calvin Klein"
2. Which calendar month is observed as Black History Month in the U.S. and Canada?
February
3. What has s, p, d, and f subshells?
I feel like I should know this one...
4. What country is named for the "Lion Mountains" that Pedro de Cintra mapped around its harbor in 1462?
Sierra Leone?
5. What married couple won 2011 CMT Music Awards for Male *and* Female Videos of the Year?
Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert?
6. What English clergyman and economist published An Essay on the Principle of Population anonymously in 1798?
John Maynard Keynes? (Was he clergy?)
7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these entertaining people? Roy Acuff, Melvin Belli, Clark Gable, Benny Goodman, Michael Jackson, Steve McQueen, Roy Rogers, Mack Sennett?
Ooh - I think I got this one! Benny Goodman was the "King of Swing," Michael Jackson was the "King of Pop," Steve McQueen was the "King of Cool," Roy Rogers was the "King of the Singing Cowboys," and I'm pretty sure Roy Acuff was "King of Country" or something similar, Gable was "King of the Silver Screen" or some such, Mack Sennett was probably "King of (Silent?) Comedy" - I have no idea who Melvin Belli is, but I bet he was King of something!

Feeling pretty good about question 7 this week!

ETA: Dangit, I knew #3 - should've gone with my gut.
ETA2: Wow, off by over a century on #6. I'm embarrassed that I didn't know that.
Old 03 January 2012, 04:08 PM

Max Belli is one of the most important lawyers in the history of consumer rights in the US. He was known as The King Of Torts.

He brought down Dow Corning over the faulty breast implants and started the huge case against Big Tobacco.
Old 03 January 2012, 04:20 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What 1980s movie protagonist is accidentally dubbed "Pierre Cardin" in the French translation of his film debut?
Roger Rabbit
Quote:
2. Which calendar month is observed as Black History Month in the U.S. and Canada?
February
Quote:
water
Quote:
4. What country is named for the "Lion Mountains" that Pedro de Cintra mapped around its harbor in 1462?
Sierra Leone
Quote:
5. What married couple won 2011 CMT Music Awards for Male *and* Female Videos of the Year?
Tim McGraw & Faith Hill*
Quote:
6. What English clergyman and economist published An Essay on the Principle of Population anonymously in 1798?
Malthus
Quote:
7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these entertaining people? Roy Acuff, Melvin Belli, Clark Gable, Benny Goodman, Michael Jackson, Steve McQueen, Roy Rogers, Mack Sennett?
They spent a lot of time in or on the courts.

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
Max Belli is...
I believe you mean Melvin. Unless he has a even more evil twin...

Seaboe

*actually this isn't right, but I can't remember the name of the other couple. Wow, I'm actually explaining a deliberately wrong answer.
Old 03 January 2012, 04:32 PM

Sierra Leone
Old 03 January 2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I think it might be Blake Sheldon and Miranda whatshername who is married to him.
Old 03 January 2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I believe you mean Melvin. Unless he has a even more evil twin...
You are correct about the name, but what do you mean by "even more evil"?
Old 03 January 2012, 07:37 PM

Baseball

1. What 1980s movie protagonist is accidentally dubbed "Pierre Cardin" in the French translation of his film debut? Pete Mitchell, from Top Gun

2. Which calendar month is observed as Black History Month in the U.S. and Canada? February

3. What has s, p, d, and f subshells? A Crab

4. What country is named for the "Lion Mountains" that Pedro de Cintra mapped around its harbor in 1462? Sierra Leone (one that I know)

5. What married couple won 2011 CMT Music Awards for Male *and* Female Videos of the Year? Tim McGraw and Faith Hill (pretty confident with this one)

6. What English clergyman and economist published An Essay on the Principle of Population anonymously in 1798? Thomas Malthus (I'm pretty confident in this one. I did an essay on him in high school)

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these entertaining people? Roy Acuff, Melvin Belli, Clark Gable, Benny Goodman, Michael Jackson, Steve McQueen, Roy Rogers, Mack Sennett? They all died during a comeback.

Feeling like I got 3 of 7 this week.
Old 03 January 2012, 07:37 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
You are correct about the name, but what do you mean by "even more evil"?
From what I've read, while he did some good, Mr. Belli was not a nice man.

Seaboe
Old 03 January 2012, 07:44 PM

Marty McFly in Back to the Future (instead of Calvin Klein)

3. What has s, p, d, and f subshells? An atom.

6. What English clergyman and economist published An Essay on the Principle of Population anonymously in 1798? Thomas Malthus
Old 04 January 2012, 03:55 AM
quijote57

1. What 1980s movie protagonist is accidentally dubbed "Pierre Cardin" in
the French translation of his film debut?
A- Someone named Peter?

A- February

A- Something elemental.

4. What country is named for the "Lion Mountains" that Pedro de Cintra
mapped around its harbor in 1462?
A- Sierra Leon (It helps to know Spanish)

A-Mr and Mrs Country Singer

A- Um, doesn't anonymous mean we don't know who did it?
Old 04 January 2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Is that Baltus? ETA: After reading the other's answers, I was wrong, but not that wrong...
Old 04 January 2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Marty McFly???

Quote:
February

Quote:
Atoms with sufficient electrons

Quote:
Sierra Leone

Quote:
Absolutely no idea.

Quote:
I feel I should know this, but I can't come up with anything.

Quote:
Roy Acuff - no idea, Melvin Belli - King of Torts, Clark Gable - King of something related to movies, Benny Goodman - King of Swing, Michael Jackson - King of Pop, Steve McQueen - King of Cool, Roy Rogers - King of the Singing Cowboys, Mack Sennett - don't know.

On an aside, I met Melvin Belli once at LAX. He was quite a pleasant fellow.
Old 04 January 2012, 07:55 AM

Default The answer to Question 7 from last week

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these Christmas-y songs? "The Christmas Song," "I'll Be Home for Christmas," "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year," "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," "Silver Bells," "White Christmas" and, in part, "Sleigh Ride" and "Winter Wonderland"? These are all Christmas songs by Jewish composers! Gotta give the market what it wants, I guess. In the case of the last two, I was only able to confirm the Jewish-ness of one member of the two-man songwriting team.
Old 04 January 2012, 10:04 AM

I have to admit that my immediate thought was Jonathan Swift and "A Modest Proposal".
Old 07 January 2012, 03:16 AM

Icon22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
From what I've read, while he did some good, Mr. Belli was not a nice man.

Seaboe
When he was a famous lawyer he guest-starred on Star Trek. Talk about evil....I recall long white robes, crooning some 'come to me, children' mantra with bad intent. Am I the only one old enough to remember that creepiness?
Old 10 January 2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyAtAll View Post
When he was a famous lawyer he guest-starred on Star Trek. Talk about evil....I recall long white robes, crooning some 'come to me, children' mantra with bad intent. Am I the only one old enough to remember that creepiness?
Boy, I remember it. I can still quote the little song the kids chanted to get him to appear:

"Hail, hail, fire and snow. Call the angel, we will go. Far away, for to see, Friendly Angel come to me."

Mac"it is amazing what the brain will store away for later recall"Lloyd
Old 10 January 2012, 08:17 AM

Default Last Week's Answers

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. What 1980s movie protagonist is accidentally dubbed "Pierre Cardin" in the French translation of his film debut? In the original version, he's called "Calvin Klein," but changing it to a French designer makes the joke work for the American-designer-hating French. This is Back to the Future's Marty McFly.

2. Which calendar month is observed as Black History Month in the U.S. and Canada? February--the shortest, coldest month, as Chris Rock once observed.

3. What has s, p, d, and f subshells? Those are the orbitals in which electrons are arranged around the atom, in one popular model.

4. What country is named for the "Lion Mountains" that Pedro de Cintra mapped around its harbor in 1462? Pedro de Cintra was Portuguese, so I'm not sure why the country he named has the weird Spanish-Italianate name of "Sierra Leone."

5. What married couple won 2011 CMT Music Awards for Male *and* Female Videos of the Year? Miranda Lambert and Blake Shelton, or as country fans call the celebrity megacouple, Blakanda Lambelton.

6. What English clergyman and economist published An Essay on the Principle of Population anonymously in 1798? This is the tract in which Malthusian worries about population growth were first argued by, well, Thomas Malthus.

7. I don't have the answer to last week's question seven because I did not receive the e-mail from Mr. Jennings.
Old 10 January 2012, 08:19 AM

Default This Week's Questions

Per Ken Jennings' request, the trivia challenge discussed on this message board has the number seven question delayed by one week. This is to avoid easy googling of the question which is designed to foil those who would "cheat". If you know the current number seven question, please do not discuss it here.

The Rules of the Thread
1. If you use the thread to help you get answers, do not submit those answers to the official game.
2. No googling until Sunday. No looking anything up anywhere (and posting it) before Sunday. No checking an article in a magazine you read last week. No checking some old notebook from college. No wikipedia. Not even snopes.com. No checking anything, anywhere - until Sunday. Only information that is stored in your brain, or in the brains of your non-snopester friends and family. But you can't use your family members as a work-around to looking up the information yourself.
3. If you google, don't post that information to the thread until Sunday. Not even as confirmation of the guesses of other posters. Someone else might still know the information on their own.
4. No guess is stupid, throw it out there.
5. No Hinting. If you have a guess or a reasonable belief that you have the right answer, post it. If you are attempting to use hinting as a work-around to the no posting googled answers rule, don't.

And remember, this is an exhibition, not a competition, so please... no wagering.

Its Tooozday Trivia time, youse bums! Let us bring some color to your bleak post-holiday blues. Our in-house research shows that our little quiz is so diverting that it actually prevents several hundred suicides every winter. Unfortunately it causes hundreds of others (oh Question Seven!) but last time I ran the numbers we were still running a net gain, and that's what matters.

The scoreboard continues to reside at http://ken-jennings.com/messageboard...pic.php?t=6716 -- where, incidentally, Ace Grader Lilly has recently added stats on Question Seven conversion, so you can see just how easy/hard/impossible each final question was. Run, don't walk, to examine this unimportant data!!!

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Madonna's upcoming feature-length directorial debut, W.E., is named for what famous pair of lovers?

2. A calyx made of sepals is the bottommost part of what?

3. What famed rock bassist retired in 1992 to open a chain of restaurants called Sticky Fingers Cafe?

4. In what country were boxer Manny Pacquiao and quarterback Tim Tebow both born?

5. What position have Carrie Ann Inaba, Len Goodman, and Bruno Tonioli filled since 2005?

6. P. D. James's new murder mystery Death Comes to Pemberley is an unasked-for sequel to what classic novel?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these TV series and mini-series? The Beverly Hillbiliies, Davy Crockett, Firefly, Gilligan's Island, Have Gun Will Travel, The Rebel.
Old 10 January 2012, 08:22 AM

Default My Guesses

Quote:
1. Madonna's upcoming feature-length directorial debut, W.E., is named for what famous pair of lovers?
I believe it is Wallis Simpson and King Edward the something or other.

Quote:
2. A calyx made of sepals is the bottommost part of what?
Don't know

Quote:
3. What famed rock bassist retired in 1992 to open a chain of restaurants called Sticky Fingers Cafe?
That would be Bill Wyman

Quote:
4. In what country were boxer Manny Pacquiao and quarterback Tim Tebow both born?
Don't know about Tim Tebow, but Manny Pacquiao is from the Phillipines

Quote:
5. What position have Carrie Ann Inaba, Len Goodman, and Bruno Tonioli filled since 2005?
Never heard of any of them.

Quote:
6. P. D. James's new murder mystery Death Comes to Pemberley is an unasked-for sequel to what classic novel?
Pride and Prejudice

Quote:
7. What unusual distinction is shared by these TV series and mini-series? The Beverly Hillbiliies, Davy Crockett, Firefly, Gilligan's Island, Have Gun Will Travel, The Rebel.
Have to abstain. Had to see the answer to get the question this week.

MacLloyd