snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Closed Thread

Old 30 November 2010, 06:56 AM

Default Ken Jennings trivia challenge

Quote:
4. What's the maximum number of sharp (or flat) symbols that can make up a key signature in music?
Seven

Quote:
5. Jammu is the southwesternnmost part of what disputed region?
Kashmir

Quote:
6. What former British prime minister headed his family's namesake publishing house in the 1970s, after he left office?
Macmillan?
Old 30 November 2010, 07:13 AM

Default Repost of Questions in new thread

Since a new thread has been started, I will re-post the questions to make it easier for everyone.

Per Ken Jennings' request, the trivia challenge discussed on this message board has the number seven question delayed by one week. This is to avoid easy googling of the question which is designed to foil those who would "cheat". If you know the current number seven question, please do not discuss it here.

The Rules of the Thread
1. If you use the thread to help you get answers, do not submit those answers to the official game.
2. No googling until Sunday. No looking anything up anywhere (and posting it) before Sunday. No checking an article in a magazine you read last week. No checking some old notebook from college. No wikipedia. Not even snopes.com. No checking anything, anywhere - until Sunday. Only information that is stored in your brain, or in the brains of your non-snopester friends and family. But you can't use your family members as a work-around to looking up the information yourself.
3. If you google, don't post that information to the thread until Sunday. Not even as confirmation of the guesses of other posters. Someone else might still know the information on their own.
4. No guess is stupid, throw it out there.
5. No Hinting. If you have a guess or a reasonable belief that you have the right answer, post it. If you are attempting to use hinting as a work-around to the no posting googled answers rule, don't.

And remember, this is an exhibition, not a competition, so please... no wagering.

Hmm, note to self: next week's subject line Roman numeral will have three X's in a row. Spam filters don't like that! Switch to Arabic numbers.

Thee three X's also mean that next week's quiz will end our current ten-week challenge. A quick look at the scoreboard at http://ken-jennings.com/messageboard...ic.php?p=60578 reveals that Keith Moser and Rael R--past winners both, I believe--are tied for the prize right now, having yet to miss a single Question Seven. Will they know this week's? Stay tuned.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. In the last year, Lady Gaga and Beyonce have collaborated on two hits both named for what kind of device?

2. Scientists recently discovered that the human lungs are home to one of the five types of what structure, found in great numbers (as many as ten thousand) elsewhere in the body?

3. "Dirty Harry" Callahan is a cop in what city's police department?

4. What's the maximum number of sharp (or flat) symbols that can make up a key signature in music?

6. What former British prime minister headed his family's namesake publishing house in the 1970s, after he left office?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these birds, and no others? Bird of paradise, crane, crow, dove, eagle, peafowl, swan, and toucan.
Old 30 November 2010, 07:42 AM

1. Telephone
3. San Francisco
4. Seven
5. My Shangri La beneath the Summer moon - Kashmir
6. Harold Macmillan
Old 30 November 2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Macmillanand the rest
Old 30 November 2010, 09:06 AM

Los Angeles?

C# Major has seven sharps (and Cb has seven flats) (if I counted correctly) and I don't think you can get more unless you use double sharps and flats

Kashmir
Old 30 November 2010, 02:38 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLloyd View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. In the last year, Lady Gaga and Beyonce have collaborated on two hits both named for what kind of device?

I can't say in polite company.
Quote:
2. Scientists recently discovered that the human lungs are home to one of the five types of what structure, found in great numbers (as many as ten thousand) elsewhere in the body?

cilia
Quote:

San Francisco.
Quote:

Quote:

Somalia.
Quote:

Berkeley.
Quote:
7. What unusual distinction is shared by these birds, and no others? Bird of paradise, crane, crow, dove, eagle, peafowl, swan, and toucan.
Not a clue. Not even an amusing wild guess. Although, at least I've seen pictures of all of these.

Seaboe
Old 30 November 2010, 03:45 PM

taste receptors (the one in the lungs respond to bitter!)

seven
Tibet?
Old 01 December 2010, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Could it be that the male and female of each type has a specific name (Peacock/Peahen, Cob/Pen)? Or a different name for the babies (Swan/Cygnet, Dove/Squab)?
Old 01 December 2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
Could it be that the male and female of each type has a specific name (Peacock/Peahen, Cob/Pen)? Or a different name for the babies (Swan/Cygnet, Dove/Squab)?
I don't think that works - think rooster/hen/chick, goose/gander/gosling, etc.

Otherwise, I'm stumped!
Old 01 December 2010, 03:12 PM

Glasses

Okay, let's think about these birds: Bird of paradise, crane, crow, dove, eagle, peafowl, swan, and toucan.

Wasn't the BoP also called the Secretary Bird or was that Lyre Bird? Are they all in the Bible? What about Disney movies? BoP has that weird thing on its head, the crane has really long legs and nests on chimneys (in books, anyway). Pencocks have really long and useless tails. Swans have long necks. Toucan's have big bills. Eagles are the symbol of a lot of countries (including the US). There are many types of eagles, including Bald and Golden. Crane's are one of the first origami figures most people learn to make. The dying swan dance from Swan Lake is a very well known ballet solo. Toucan Sam is a well known advertising mascot. Dove is a brand name chocolate. There are also many types of doves, including the mourning dove. Peafowl make nasty screeches. Peacock Blue is a color (it used to be a crayon name; is it still?). Crow is a character in Native American mythology.

So, run with it guys. I've done my part.

Seaboe
Old 01 December 2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Okay, let's think about these birds: Bird of paradise, crane, crow, dove, eagle, peafowl, swan, and toucan.

Eagles are the symbol of a lot of countries (including the US).
I had thought of this - national symbols, appearing on currency, etc. - as the most likely scenario, but it's just a WAG.

As for appearing in the Bible, I know that ravens and sparrows are mentioned, so that doesn't work. Disney movies? They've had talking ducks, geese, chickens, storks...

The "and no others" is a killer!
Old 01 December 2010, 06:58 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
I had thought of this - national symbols, appearing on currency, etc. - as the most likely scenario, but it's just a WAG.
Loons appear on Canadian currency (unless you restrict it to bills, in which case it might get interesting).

Some country (Iran?) has the Peacock throne. The trouble there is the crow, for me at least.

Oh, and it can't be colors (though the only two colors I see in that list are dove gray and peacock blue) because of teal, which is a kind of duck.

You're right, that "and no others" is a killer.

Seaboe
Old 01 December 2010, 10:52 PM

An emu appears on Australia's Coat of Arms and the Kiwi is the symbol for NZ, so it can't be national symbols.
Old 02 December 2010, 06:54 AM

The crane is the symbol of the Deutsche Lufthansa airline, I'm sure there are eagle airlines, and I seem to remember seeing a bird of paradise on a plane somewhere - at least if that's the bird with the two extra long tail feathers.

So - symbols of airlines? Symbols of major airlines? Is there an airline using a crow as it's symbol?
Old 03 December 2010, 07:17 AM

Birds on stamps? There are a lot of stamps with birds out there, so maybe US stamps?
Old 03 December 2010, 11:28 AM

No, I'm pretty sure all of the US state birds have been on stamps and I know for sure that the cardinal, flamingo and the owl, among others, have been.
Old 03 December 2010, 11:32 AM

Whalephant

They've all had a character named Sam? There's Sam the American eagle and Toucan Sam.
Old 03 December 2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
The crane is the symbol of the Deutsche Lufthansa airline, I'm sure there are eagle airlines, and I seem to remember seeing a bird of paradise on a plane somewhere - at least if that's the bird with the two extra long tail feathers.

So - symbols of airlines? Symbols of major airlines? Is there an airline using a crow as it's symbol?
The bird of paradise on this plane is a flower:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloha_Airlines
Old 03 December 2010, 12:10 PM

Tsk, Tsk

Dear Babby, may I remind you:

Quote:
The Rules of the Thread
(...)
2. No googling until Sunday. No looking anything up anywhere (and posting it) before Sunday. No checking an article in a magazine you read last week. No checking some old notebook from college. No wikipedia. Not even snopes.com. No checking anything, anywhere - until Sunday. Only information that is stored in your brain, or in the brains of your non-snopester friends and family. But you can't use your family members as a work-around to looking up the information yourself.
3. If you google, don't post that information to the thread until Sunday. Not even as confirmation of the guesses of other posters. Someone else might still know the information on their own.
(..)
Don Enrico
Old 03 December 2010, 12:18 PM

Ooops! I didn't think of that as googling since I wasn't looking for an answer, just showing a picture of something that wasn't an answer but I guess you're right.
Closed Thread