snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Entertainment

Old 16 October 2010, 06:22 AM

Icon106 Oops! 10 Great Rock and Roll Bloopers

Here are 10 of the greatest mistakes that made it to tape:

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyl...bloopers-1012/
Old 16 October 2010, 09:34 AM

Hmm. Is Ringo shouting "I've got blisters on my fingers!" really a blooper (let alone a tantrum?). I'm sure it was spontaneous, but it's a good moment and surely they would just have edited that part of the tape if they didn't want it. It's after the drum track finishes, after all. I doubt they were listening to the pressed album and said "What?! How did that get left in there? I can't believe we didn't notice! Oh no!"

Some of the others are more convincing in that they'd have been harder to remove and there wasn't time to re-record them, but I guess most were left in because they sounded good too. (Or were funny).

(eta)

Quote:
One of the most unique parts of Radiohead’s hit “Creep”...

Oooohhhh..... tsk tsk tsk... some cowboy's gone and written that, haven't they?

Last edited by Richard W; 16 October 2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 16 October 2010, 09:50 AM

How bloody annoying! do you know how long I spent trying to work out what that chord was at the beginning of Roxanne?
Old 16 October 2010, 11:25 AM

This thread is not official until I say Rock and Roll BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOPEEEEEEEEEEER.
Old 16 October 2010, 01:37 PM

I wouldn't really call any of these "bloopers" - almost all of them, while possibly mistakes at first, were consciously left in as artistic decisions.
Old 16 October 2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
I wouldn't really call any of these "bloopers" - almost all of them, while possibly mistakes at first, were consciously left in as artistic decisions.
They still seem to meet the criteria of a blooper though in how they came about. The fact that they used the mistakes doesn't really change that.
Old 16 October 2010, 02:16 PM

I started reading through the comments at the bottom of the link that Snopes posted. One person pointed out: "What about Bohnam's bass drum pedal squeeking at the begining of "Since I've Been Loving You?" Being the huge Led Zep fan that I am, I didn't remember this, so I went and grabbed my iPod.

:::Sigh::: Now I can't tune it out.
Old 16 October 2010, 05:49 PM

Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by STF View Post
They still seem to meet the criteria of a blooper though in how they came about. The fact that they used the mistakes doesn't really change that.
But events such as "Hey, this malfunctioning piece of equipment makes a funny sound; let's use it deliberately" and "Both these takes sound good, so let's overlay them instead of choosing one over the other" aren't "mistakes" at all. They may be products of serendipity, but so is a heck of a lot of recorded music.
Old 16 October 2010, 06:12 PM

They are very interesting, I never noticed the piano chord in Roxanne but I did notice Sting's laugh and I wondered what that was about

Some other ones that I know of, but aren't rock and roll in the strict definition but are bloopers that were left in:

In Billy Joel's "Second Wind" he sings a line "s-s-sometimes that's what it takes," stammering. The story goes that he left the goof in there to prove the theme of the song that "you're only human, you're supposed to make mistakes."- Wikipedia (I know not the best source for information, but)
Also, the sound that Joel makes at the end of "My Life," I have heard various versions that it was either him throwing up, gasping because he tripped, or a sound like a "huh yeah" victory sound. Either way, it wasn't supposed to be in it, and was in the final cut.

I remember hearing when "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt first came out, that the bit where he starts the "My life is brilliant" and stops was a goof because he began singing too early. The goof is recalled in the Wierd Al parody "You're Pitiful": "My life is brilliant-wait what was that, I started too early. Should we do it again? Just keep going-oh okay."

Also, am I right in hearing that the bit at the end of "All You Need is Love" where John is singing "She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah" was the Beatles goofing off not realizing that they hadn't cut the sound?
Old 16 October 2010, 06:16 PM

Icon106

What about when Denny Doherty came in too early on a verse of the Mamas & Papas' "I Saw Her Again"? That has to be one of the most widely heard musical bloopers ever committed to tape.
Old 16 October 2010, 08:32 PM

"I Saw Her Again" was the first one I thought of when I saw the thread title. The second was the drummer on "Louie Louie" yelling the F-word just before the second verse.

ETA: Regarding "Helter Skelter," the liner notes to the 1980 Rarities album misidentify John Lennon as the source of "I got blisters on my fingers" (which doesn't even appear on that version of the song). I figured the link would at least mention that, since it really is a blooper of sorts.
Old 16 October 2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn Red View Post
Also, am I right in hearing that the bit at the end of "All You Need is Love" where John is singing "She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah" was the Beatles goofing off not realizing that they hadn't cut the sound?
No. Most books I've read on the topic say that Lennon sang a couple of different things during rehearsals-one rehearsal had him singing "She'll be comin' round the mountain" at the same point.

-RB
Old 16 October 2010, 10:23 PM

What about Elvis Presley's "Datin'"? That song starts with bloopers and wrong starts.
Old 16 October 2010, 10:52 PM

Icon106

But that isn't the version of "Datin'" that was officially released (on the Paradise, Hawaiian Style soundtrack). The "laughing" version is a posthumous release compiled from various outtakes.
Old 16 October 2010, 10:57 PM

In Green Day's "Basket Case" Billy Joe sings
Quote:
I went to a shrink to analyze my dreams
she said it's lack of sex that's bringing me down.
I went to a whore
he said my life's a bore
so quit my whining 'cause it's bringing her down
He's been quoted several times saying that he flubbed the lyrics but they left it that way.
Old 16 October 2010, 11:03 PM

Icon220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starla View Post
He's been quoted several times saying that he flubbed the lyrics but they left it that way.
The same is true of Paul's mixing up Desmond and Molly ("Desmond stays at home and does his pretty face ...") in the Beatles' "Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da."
Old 17 October 2010, 12:48 AM

Yeah, the "Desmond stays at home and does his pretty face..." line is a much more convincing example of a Beatles "blooper", I'd say. And even that must have been left there deliberately once they realised it was as good or a better line than the "real" version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn Red View Post
But in a recording session there's surely no such thing as "not realising they hadn't cut the sound". It's all being recorded, and it's cut afterwards. If anything, cutting the sound early would be a mistake.

So given that, most stuff that ends up in the final version has to be there deliberately in some sense - certainly if anybody's taken any care at all over the editing or mixing. Only a few of those - like the one about Robert Plant's voice being on the drum track to "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" when it wasn't meant to be - really count as mistakes that couldn't have been rectified in the edit or re-done if people had wanted to. And even that still sounds fine - in fact I can't hear it at all on my iPod - there isn't even a drum part playing at 1:43...

(eta) Ah, I think I do hear it, there's a sort of very quiet "Calling me..." which must be what they mean. But if that was on the drum track then they could have got rid of it simply by muting that part of the track - there aren't any drums at that point, or for several seconds either side. It's not a drum-heavy song at all - there are drum breaks but no continuous beat. To be fair I don't know exactly how editing worked in the late 60s so perhaps it was hard to just mute part of a track.

Last edited by Richard W; 17 October 2010 at 12:58 AM.
Old 17 October 2010, 12:54 AM

Icon09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
But in a recording session there's surely no such thing as "not realising they hadn't cut the sound".
Not necessarily. Musicians might, for example, reasonably conclude that they've passed the point where a track ending is going to be faded out in the mixing stage and thereby produce extraneous sounds that inadvertently end up being audible when the released version is mixed to run longer than they anticipated.
Old 17 October 2010, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starla View Post
In Green Day's "Basket Case" Billy Joe sings ... He's been quoted several times saying that he flubbed the lyrics but they left it that way.
I always figured maybe the whore was a tranny and Billy couldn't decide which pronoun to use.
Old 17 October 2010, 06:44 AM

I assumed it was the pimp he was talking about.