snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Inboxer Rebellion

Old 15 March 2010, 01:25 PM

Default Sending a message with the Census

I haven't gotten my letter from the Census Bureau yet asking me to make sure I fill out the questionnaire. But when I do fill it out, I'll use it to send a message. According to the Constitution you only have to give the number of people in a household.

Fully one-quarter of the space on this year's form is taken up with questions of race and ethnicity, which are clearly illegitimate and none of the government's business (despite the New York Times' assurances to the contrary on today's editorial page). So until we succeed in building the needed wall of separation between race and state, I have a proposal. Question 9 on the census form asks "What is Person 1's race?" (and so on, for other members of the household). My initial impulse was simply to misidentify my race so as to throw a monkey wrench into the statistics; I had fun doing this on the personal-information form my college required every semester, where I was a Puerto Rican Muslim one semester, and a Samoan Buddhist the next. But lying in this constitutionally mandated process is wrong. Really don't do it.

Instead, we should answer Question 9 by checking the last option "Some other race" and writing in "American." It's a truthful answer but at the same time is a way for ordinary citizens to express their rejection of unconstitutional racial classification schemes. In fact, "American" was the plurality ancestry selection for respondents to the 2000 census in four states and several hundred counties. There are other questions in the Census that doesn't need to be answered and is unconstitutional.

So remember: Question 9 "Some other race" "American". Pass it on.
Old 15 March 2010, 01:31 PM

Well, that'll show 'em!

What it shows them, or who/what constitutes "them", I have no idea. But, boy, that'll show 'em!
Old 15 March 2010, 01:45 PM

Unless it's something that could possibly matter, such as doctor's forms, I check "other" and if I have to write something, I write "human." This is especially true if I have to pick one race for my kids. If they don't allow you to accurately answer, it seems that they want you to give them a crazy answer.
Old 15 March 2010, 02:13 PM

How about checking off your actual race so that the government will have an accurate count that can be used towards funding programs needed in certain areas.
Old 15 March 2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonnieyrissa View Post
How about checking off your actual race so that the government will have an accurate count that can be used towards funding programs needed in certain areas.
I don't think funding is the reason the Census Bureau gives for asking the race questions.
Quote:
"The U.S. Constitution says the purpose of the census is to make an enumeration; that is, to take an accurate count of Americans for the purpose of apportioning congressional districts," he said.
Link
ETA: A more specific quote:
Quote:
The Census Bureau source explained the reason for race-related questions rests chiefly on the need to reapportion congressional representation -- referring to the Constitution's sole stated purpose for the count. Such inquiries, said the source, are made to ensure each congressional district is racially diverse.
Old 15 March 2010, 02:58 PM

They also use it in determining which areas need which programs and services. Such as English as a second language.
Old 15 March 2010, 03:02 PM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan The Man View Post
Did you just link to WorldNetDaily as if it were a reputable source?

Here's what the Census Bureau has to say:
Quote:
How Our Data are Used

◦to determine the distribution of Congressional seats to states--

■mandated by the U.S. Constitution
■used to apportion seats in the U.S. House of Representatives
■used to define legislature districts, school district assignment areas and other important functional areas of government

◦to make decisions about what community services to provide

Changes in your community are crucial to many planning decisions, such as where to:

■provide services for the elderly
■where to build new roads and schools
■or where to locate job training centers

◦to distribute more than $400 billion in federal funds to local, state and tribal governments each year

Census data affects how funding is allocated to communities for:

■neighborhood improvements
■public health
■education
■transportation
Bolding mine.

Four Kitties
Old 15 March 2010, 03:09 PM

I just found the link on a Google search, I didn't realize WorldNetDaily was quite so one-sided. My apologies.
Old 15 March 2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonnieyrissa View Post
They also use it in determining which areas need which programs and services. Such as English as a second language.
Not really a good example, as ESL would be an issue for immigrants from non-English speaking countries. Race won't really tell you much about who needs ESL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Kitties View Post

Here's what the Census Bureau has to say:Bolding mine.
Of the items listed by the Census Bureau, other than ensuring that Congressional districs are not Gerrymandered to exclude minority representation, which have to do with race?
Old 15 March 2010, 03:39 PM

Canada

I completely agree with putting on a sarcastic, ineligible answer on your census forms*. After all, the more people who do this, the more I have to come visit them for an actual answer, and the more I get paid for doing so.

*I do not actually endorse putting sarcastic, ineligible answers on your census form. The above statement was made with the intention of being humourous. At no time did the poster, hereafter referred to as "me" or "I," intend to encourage anyone to submit an official form to the United States Census Bureau with an answer that would be considered "sarcastic" and "ineligible." Viewer discretion is advised.
Old 15 March 2010, 04:17 PM

Wait, when did "American" become a race?

I seriously don't get the point of giving a factually incorrect answer, particularly if you do not understand why the information is being requested.
Old 15 March 2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglRdr View Post
In the real world - never.

Quote:
I seriously don't get the point of giving a factually incorrect answer, particularly if you do not understand why the information is being requested.
I think that this is targeted toward the paranoid - the folks that believe that the census is some evil tool of the government whose motives are nefarious. Lots of republicans as of late have played to this fear and the fringes have claimed that the government will use this information to round us all up into concentration camps or the like.

It's a silly way to "stick it to the man" mantra that the government is really annoyed over.
Old 15 March 2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:

Cause then you're sticking it to the man! And potentially losing millions in federal funds that go towards really relevent and important social programs! And there ain't no better way to stick it to the man then helping the man keep the underclasses down!
Old 15 March 2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
Of the items listed by the Census Bureau, other than ensuring that Congressional districs are not Gerrymandered to exclude minority representation, which have to do with race?
Every single one of them, if you live in the real world. Item! A high density of "othered" populations tends to need a higher density of social support networks!
Old 15 March 2010, 04:50 PM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
Isn't ensuring that Congressional districts are not gerrymandered to exclude minority representation enough, in and of itself?

Four Kitties
Old 15 March 2010, 04:50 PM
Barbara

Whalephant

Quote:
Last week. It was demoted from being a religion.
Old 15 March 2010, 05:27 PM

Reporter

Cue Fox News' next campaign against Obama in 3 ... 2 ...
Old 15 March 2010, 06:39 PM

Did you hear that ACORN may have something to do with the census? First they steal the election and now this. BTW I'm not kidding I've seen tin-foil hat posts about this stuff.
Old 15 March 2010, 06:48 PM

Do people act this paranoid when there's a Republican in office for the Census year?
Old 15 March 2010, 06:58 PM

If you are determined to put something other than your actual “race” on the form, at least make sure it conforms to some vague notion of “race”. American doesn’t. That’s a nationality.

Homo Sapiens Sapiens is probably closer to what you have in mind.