magazine (I'm pretty sure that was the one), which also made the claim
linking heartburn during pregnancy with babies being born with a lot of
hair. What do you know about this? Is there a link, or is it just an old
wives tale?
Old 04 November 2007, 06:59 PM
zephyra

What would be the science behind that?
Old 04 November 2007, 07:03 PM

They did indeed read this in Parenting magazine. We saw it, too, and it piqued my interest, since I've had constant heartburn with my current pregnancy.

Apparently it comes from a Johns Hopkins University study. I'm having trouble finding a link to the Johns Hopkins study itself. When I run a search on that site, I am apparently "forbidden" from viewing any of the results.

But I've found links to Mens Health magazine and a New York Times article that corraborate the Parenting magazine cite.

The Mens Health article (in its entirety here) says this is the reason for the link:

Quote:
Once in a while, science proves an old wives' tale true. Here's one: if a pregnant woman has heartburn frequently, she'll likely have a baby with lots of hair.

Really! But that doesn't mean heartburn causes hair growth—it means that the same hormonal state that can cause heartburn also triggers hair growth.
Old 04 November 2007, 07:26 PM
We'veBeenHad

I had horrific heartburn in the last trimester - but it wasn't, IMO, hormonal, it was that the baby's head was way up in my solar plexus. Ouch!! A single bite of food just wouldn't make it down and would cause some kind of reflux or whatever - and did it BURN! So I lived on two or three bites of food a day, a couple crackers, and rolaids. Lots and lots of rolaids. She was born with just a very light peach fuzz.
Old 05 November 2007, 03:39 PM

Glasses

My sister was born with hair long enough that the nurses tied a bow in it with gauze. My mother never had a day of heartburn. Nor did my sister (as another OWT would have it) lose all her hair.

Actually, all three of us were born with hair. My sister's was just the most noticeable (in part because it stood straight up--as well as being three inches long).

Seaboe
Old 05 November 2007, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
My sister was born with hair long enough that the nurses tied a bow in it with gauze. My mother never had a day of heartburn. Nor did my sister (as another OWT would have it) lose all her hair.
DD's was thick and long; her nurses made spit curls in it with Vaseline. And I never had a day of heartburn during my pregnancy, either. DD didn't lose all her hair, but it did thin out noticeably, then grew back curly instead of straight.
Old 12 November 2007, 04:42 AM

I had horrible heartburn when I was pregnant with my son. It was bad enough that for the last five months of pregnancy I would be up all night throwing up what could only be described as pure stomach acid. My son was born with almost no hair.

I am now five months pregnant with another son. The horrible heartburn has started again. I am pretty sure I'm going to have another bald baby...
Old 12 November 2007, 01:48 PM
inkiemouse

Icon202

My mother had bad heartburn when she was pregnant with me, and let's just say I had to have my first professional hair cut before I was a year old.

Then she had some with my sister, who was basically bald until the age of two.

I have acid reflux disease. Let's see how this works out for my son.
Old 12 November 2007, 06:32 PM

I had heartburn for the first time in my life with DS#1. His hair was thick and dark and didn't fall out.

Same thing with DS#2. Big thick dark head of hair and I got heartburn when I drank a glass of water.

Now my SIL had horrible heartburn with both her daughters and they were bald as cue balls when born.
Old 12 November 2007, 07:12 PM

I've heard this said for decades and I think it's a load of tosh.

I've had six children. Three were born with loads of hair and three were bald as a baboon's bum. I suffered heartburn with all of them but by far the worst was with my daughter and she was one of the baldies.

My latest grandchild was born a couple of weeks ago with long thick hair and his mum only got a few bouts of heartburn in the last three weeks.

Midwives and doctors I've asked about it told me heartburn was the growing womb putting pressure on the gastric sphincter resulting in reflux.
Old 12 November 2007, 07:21 PM

I had never heard this before. i got asked that all the time once both dd's were born though, b/c they both had tons of hair. I did have Hyperemesis and terrible heart burn, but I don't see how the 2 could be related.
Old 20 November 2007, 04:41 AM

The munchkin was born with a whole head of 2-2 1/2 inch dark brown hair. It was enough that the nurse helping with the delivery was playing with it while the baby was coming out. I only had heartburn the last couple of weeks, but it was pretty mild. Maybe it was the hair...or maybe it was the Tropicana Grapefruit juice I craved throughout the pregnancy.

*little hijack*
Strangely enough, I haven't touched the stuff since February 5th...it just doesn't taste the same.
Old 01 November 2009, 04:29 AM

Icon97 Heartburn means extra baby hair

Comment: When a pregnant woman has bad heartburn, does it mean the baby
will have a lot of hair?
Old 01 November 2009, 12:26 PM

I'm pretty confident the reason mom has heartburn is cause the damn baby is being carried in her lungs. LOL. Like mine were. I have a short torso and there wasn't a lot of room. Pushed everything I ate right back up there. Also the hormones can loosen the esophogeal sphincter, IIRC.

I had horrible heartburn both times!

Both my babies did happen to have hair - not the two inch long mops I see some kids born with, but definitely hair. But I'm quite sure it had nothing to do with heartburn.

There is another wives' tale though, that I think I heard might have some scientific standing. They say if you have a lot of morning sickness, or nausea, it's a sign of a good pregnancy. I heard the reason for this is that nausea indicates a lot of something - the hormone, maybe - that is important for the body to make the necessary changes, so sickness would indicate that things were doing what they were supposed to be doing. Something along that line. Which makes more sense than the hair thing.
Old 01 November 2009, 12:55 PM

I had horrid heartburn all three times. While my babies weren't entirely bald-headed, neither were their locks long and flowing.

As for the morning sickness thing... what I heard on Discovery Channel a looooong time ago about that (and it was mere speculation) was that HcG, or "the pregnancy hormone," in large enough doses, is mildly toxic, resulting in nausea. The more you have, the more toxic, the worse the nausea. Since HcG *must* be in a woman's system for pregnancy to occur, I guess the thinking was that the more you have, the more likely it is to be a "strong" pregnancy. Anecdotally, the one time I miscarried, I experience no pregnancy nausea at all. But that's merely anecdotal, because when my mom was pregnant with my sister and myself, she didn't have a moment of pregnancy nausea.
Old 01 November 2009, 03:28 PM

Heartburn= hairy baby... my experience:

Kat, moderate heartburn as expected (her entire pregnancy was textbook normal) and she was born with a head full of wispy black hair.

Jase, hardly any heartburn (and he's the one who weighed 11 lbs even, 22 1/2 inches tall) and he was born with a head full of long dark hair that I had to *cut before he was six months old.

Ceej, no heartburn that I can recall (but she also pinched my sciatic nerve, so I had more painful things than heartburn to think about) and she was born with the same wispy hair Kat was, but Ceej's was blonde.

*There's another wives tale about cutting a baby's hair before its a year old, but I can't remember what it is about. My MIL's father used to spout so many wives tales, I lost track of some gems. One of his favorites was: "Don't cut a baby's fingernails before his first birthday or he'll grow up to be a thief!" I asked, "If I cut his toenails, does that mean he'll run away?"

(apparently, you're supposed to bite the baby's fingernails off)
Old 01 November 2009, 03:33 PM

I'm having heartburn, and have been for months. The sonogram tech told us our kid (34 weeks gestation at the time) had hair... another data point. We'll see how things look when the kid actually makes his or her appearance in a few weeks.

As for nausea... I'd heard that, too, and it worried me a little, since I had practically no nausea (mild, general queasiness that lasted about a week and a half, almost no vomiting). However, things seem to be fine in spite of that. Maybe some women are just more sensitive to the hormone than others are.
Old 01 November 2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleiguana View Post
I had horrid heartburn all three times. While my babies weren't entirely bald-headed, neither were their locks long and flowing.

As for the morning sickness thing... what I heard on Discovery Channel a looooong time ago about that (and it was mere speculation) was that HcG, or "the pregnancy hormone," in large enough doses, is mildly toxic, resulting in nausea. The more you have, the more toxic, the worse the nausea. Since HcG *must* be in a woman's system for pregnancy to occur, I guess the thinking was that the more you have, the more likely it is to be a "strong" pregnancy. Anecdotally, the one time I miscarried, I experience no pregnancy nausea at all. But that's merely anecdotal, because when my mom was pregnant with my sister and myself, she didn't have a moment of pregnancy nausea.
From what I've read, pregnancy sickness serves to keep the mother from eating anything that might be toxic to the baby. You're less likely to have a lot of caffeine, or drink alcohol or anything when it makes you vomit your guts out.
Old 01 November 2009, 03:57 PM

If that were true, Miss Mia would have looked like an ape. Which she didn't. Unless apes are born hairless.
Old 02 November 2009, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejtronic View Post
From what I've read, pregnancy sickness serves to keep the mother from eating anything that might be toxic to the baby. You're less likely to have a lot of caffeine, or drink alcohol or anything when it makes you vomit your guts out.
That's interesting. But the pregnancy nausea I had had nothing to do with things toxic to baby. Unless apples, milk, and tomato sauce (my big triggers) are toxic to baby. With my third, I had such hideous nausea that most days I didn't eat at all until after 3pm. Even thinking about food made me want to throw up.