snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Glurge Gallery

Old 01 December 2008, 01:55 AM

Icon86 The Law of the Garbage Truck

One day I hopped in a taxi and we took off for the airport.

We were driving in the right lane when suddenly a black car jumped out of a parking space right in front of us. My taxi driver slammed on his brakes, skidded, and missed the other car by just inches! The driver of the other car whipped his head around and started yelling at us. My taxi driver just smiled and waved at the guy. And I mean, he was really friendly. So I asked, 'Why did you just do that? This guy almost ruined your car and sent us to the hospital!'

This is when my taxi driver taught me what I now call, 'The Law of the Garbage Truck.'

He explained that many people are like garbage trucks. They run around full of garbage, full of frustration, full of anger, and full of disappointment. As their garbage piles up, they need a place to dump it, and sometimes they'll dump it on you. Don't take it personally. Just smile, wave, wish them well, and move on. Don't take their garbage and spread it to other people at work, at home, or on the streets.

The bottom line is that successful people do not let garbage trucks take over their day.

Life's too short to wake up in the morning with regrets, so...Love the people who treat you right. Pray for the ones who don't. Life is ten percent what you make it and ninety percent how you take it!

Have a blessed, garbage-free day.
Old 01 December 2008, 02:02 AM

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
He explained that many people are like garbage trucks. They run around full of garbage, full of frustration, full of anger, and full of disappointment. As their garbage piles up, they need a place to dump it, and sometimes they'll dump it on you. Don't take it personally. Just smile, wave, wish them well, and move on. Don't take their garbage and spread it to other people at work, at home, or on the streets.
The irony of this being in glurge is simply fabulous.

Dropbear
Old 01 December 2008, 02:15 AM

If an actual garbage truck ever dumped on me, the driver and company would have some serious explaining to do, both to me and the authorities. I don't think I'd "smile, wave, wish them well, and move on."
Old 01 December 2008, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_feldon View Post
If an actual garbage truck ever dumped on me, the driver and company would have some serious explaining to do, both to me and the authorities. I don't think I'd "smile, wave, wish them well, and move on."

That actually did happen to me a number of years ago.

Unfortunately for the truck driver, he lost a substantial part of his load of household refuse which landed on my car ... my patrol car ...
Old 04 December 2008, 09:28 PM

What wierd is that I sort of have this same attitude (minus the Jesus part tacked onto the end) about people and life. Not that I never frustrated, or outright pissed off for that matter, but generally I view those angry bitter people I come into contact with as just sad. They either can't or won't let things go and the anger builds and builds until it just comes busting out all the time.

Anecdote: I have spent the last few months with a coworker who is overall a good partner but has major anger problems. It takes nearly nothing to set him into a tirade about how stupid people are. He's always treated me fine, but I have to supress rolling my eyes when he starts yelling obscenities about a situation most of us would just frown at.

So yea, not exactly (IMO) a bad message, or at least explanation, of that 'Whatever..' attittude some of us have, too bad they have to tack on thier random religious ending.

-MB
Old 04 December 2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
The bottom line is that successful people do not let garbage trucks take over their day.
So adopt this attitude, and you too may be a cab driver some day.
Old 04 December 2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
One day I hopped in a taxi and we took off for the airport.
This is when my taxi driver taught me what I now call, 'The Law of the Septic Tank Pumping Truck.'

He explained that many people are like those trucks they use to pump out septic tanks. They run around full of ****, full of frustration, full of anger, and full of disappointment. As their **** piles up, they need a place to dump it, and sometimes they'll dump it on you. Don't take it personally. Just smile, wave, wish them well, and move on. Don't take their **** and spread it on other people at work, at home, or on the streets.

The bottom line is that successful people do not let septic tank pumping trucks take over their day.

Life's too short to wake up in the morning with regrets, so...Love the people who treat you right. Pray for the ones who don't. Life is ten percent what you make it and ninety percent how you take it!

Have a blessed, ****-free day.[/QUOTE]
Old 04 December 2008, 11:25 PM

And what about when YOU'RE the one dumping garbage on people? This glurge is basically saying it's okay to take out your frustrations on other people in a life-threatening manner. I understand the need to let off steam, but that doesn't excuse a random act of violence toward someone who had nothing to do with it.
Old 30 December 2008, 09:41 PM
Agent 99

Driver

I think there is wisdom in letting other's **** slide off you. I don't think this justifies the other's behavior, but letting it ruin your day / week / life, whatever doesn't do you any good.