snopes.com  


Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 29 October 2008, 01:46 PM
robbiev's Avatar
robbiev robbiev is offline
 
Join Date: 27 September 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 3,122
Default Gun suicide on video

Received on a law enforcement board I'm on. No clue if it's real. The guy that posted it claimed it was from his department.

http://www.rrmemphis.com/sandiego.wmv

Warning: pretty graphic at about 57 seconds.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 29 October 2008, 01:55 PM
Wolf333's Avatar
Wolf333 Wolf333 is offline
 
Join Date: 12 August 2006
Location: Oxford, OH
Posts: 3,203
Default

Here is an article about it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 29 October 2008, 02:46 PM
UEL's Avatar
UEL UEL is offline
 
Join Date: 01 August 2004
Location: Ottawa/Fredericton, Canada
Posts: 8,422
Police

I really wonder who controls the release of imagery.

I know that I work in a completely different environment, but I would be drawn and quartered if anything that might compromise security, procedures or safety were to be found online from my unit.

To me, this is the type of thing that should not be released except through official sources.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 29 October 2008, 03:32 PM
Astra's Avatar
Astra Astra is offline
 
Join Date: 29 September 2001
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 8,229
Default

What UEL said. It surprised me just how easy it would be for someone to copy or remove that type of file from my workplace. I know I would never do such a thing, but when I see stuff like that pop up on the internet you know someone, somewhere, did do it and it makes me wonder how common other lapses are.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 30 October 2008, 12:54 AM
Seburiel's Avatar
Seburiel Seburiel is offline
 
Join Date: 13 July 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 657
Default

All other considerations aside: It was interesting to see on the video.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 30 October 2008, 12:59 AM
Eddylizard's Avatar
Eddylizard Eddylizard is offline
 
Join Date: 15 June 2006
Location: Tonbridge, Kent, UK
Posts: 17,857
Default

From Wolf333's link, what are we missing in this story? The guy is an accomplice to carjacking, and possibly faces firearms charges, yet rather than face a few months to a couple of years in prison, he shoots himself dead? Why?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 30 October 2008, 01:25 AM
Ravenhull's Avatar
Ravenhull Ravenhull is offline
 
Join Date: 13 September 2005
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 1,935
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
From Wolf333's link, what are we missing in this story? The guy is an accomplice to carjacking, and possibly faces firearms charges, yet rather than face a few months to a couple of years in prison, he shoots himself dead? Why?
I remember watching one of those 'caught on tape' shows where a guy in an SUV ran from the cops, crashed and then shot himself. After checking him out, he had no warrents or such, and he was simply being pulled over for a simple traffic violation when he bolted. (Note: There is no way in hell the officers could have realized that when they gave chase. They simply tried to do a simple pullover when he bolted. At that point, they had to assume that he had good reason to run.)

People do stupid things when they see blue lights.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 30 October 2008, 03:43 AM
TuFurg TuFurg is offline
 
Join Date: 06 July 2005
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 1,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
what are we missing in this story?... rather than face a few months to a couple of years in prison, he shoots himself dead? Why?
Quite probably a whole lot. It doesn't seem like a huge stretch to assume that the guy may have had priors or even warrants out and was looking at a lot more than a couple of years in prison. Perhaps it was a third strike situation given that it was in Cali?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 30 October 2008, 05:32 AM
robbiev's Avatar
robbiev robbiev is offline
 
Join Date: 27 September 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 3,122
Default

Or perhaps he was just mentally unstable.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 30 October 2008, 05:34 AM
robbiev's Avatar
robbiev robbiev is offline
 
Join Date: 27 September 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 3,122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
To me, this is the type of thing that should not be released except through official sources.
I agree.

Quote:
I really wonder who controls the release of imagery.
Maybe the problem is some places have no (or very little) control.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 30 October 2008, 06:17 AM
Dark Blue's Avatar
Dark Blue Dark Blue is offline
 
Join Date: 26 June 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,309
Police

Quote:
The guy is an accomplice to carjacking, and possibly faces firearms charges, yet rather than face a few months to a couple of years in prison, he shoots himself dead? Why?
I have seen firsthand people willing to murder others or kill themselves over a whole lot less. Doesn't suprise me at all.

If this is a real video the pilot did an outstanding job, and I would say likely saved the officer's life by telling him not to go over the fence when the guy was picking up the shotgun on the other side.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 30 October 2008, 03:54 PM
General Redwood General Redwood is offline
 
Join Date: 06 April 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 773
Default

I saw this clip last week at another site. The clip had no sound so I was suspicious of a fake. The level of gore seemed to high for pistol to the head suicide (I've seen footage, they are surprisingly clean). But a shotgun to the head would do that.

Hope it was worth it buddy.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 30 October 2008, 04:16 PM
Astra's Avatar
Astra Astra is offline
 
Join Date: 29 September 2001
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 8,229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Redwood View Post
I saw this clip last week at another site. The clip had no sound so I was suspicious of a fake. The level of gore seemed to high for pistol to the head suicide (I've seen footage, they are surprisingly clean). But a shotgun to the head would do that.

Hope it was worth it buddy.
FYI, lack of sound may not be a sign of fakery. The cameras I use on crime scenes have the microphones removed, so all of our video documentation is silent.

The level of gore is also more determined by the caliber of the bullet than the type (pistol/shotgun/etc) of weapon. Well, it also depends on where it impacts. A larger caliber tends to blow a large hole through the head. Smaller calibers, like .25s, don't make such a big entrance/exit, but they ricochet around and do far more damage to the interior of the head. I saw one suicide with a small caliber handgun where the wound was almost unnoticeable, but the skull was obviously shattered.

Last edited by Astra; 30 October 2008 at 04:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 30 October 2008, 04:39 PM
Eddylizard's Avatar
Eddylizard Eddylizard is offline
 
Join Date: 15 June 2006
Location: Tonbridge, Kent, UK
Posts: 17,857
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Redwood View Post
I saw this clip last week at another site. The clip had no sound so I was suspicious of a fake. Hope it was worth it buddy.
There is sound when I play it, lots of radio chatter between the helicopter crew and the ground.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 31 October 2008, 05:21 AM
videoguy's Avatar
videoguy videoguy is offline
 
Join Date: 11 September 2006
Location: Clarence, NY
Posts: 1,197
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
I know that I work in a completely different environment, but I would be drawn and quartered if anything that might compromise security, procedures or safety were to be found online from my unit.

To me, this is the type of thing that should not be released except through official sources.
Here in the USA, videos very similar to that (other than the suicide) are routinely shown on TV.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 31 October 2008, 07:30 AM
UEL's Avatar
UEL UEL is offline
 
Join Date: 01 August 2004
Location: Ottawa/Fredericton, Canada
Posts: 8,422
Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoguy View Post
Here in the USA, videos very similar to that (other than the suicide) are routinely shown on TV.
I don't doubt the videos shown on TV are quite common. Heck, that is how I passed my evenings last spring in New Mexico.

However, those are all released by official sources. This one obviously was not. There are things I can analyse about this video that can potentially be used to cause harm to a police officer.

Official sources would scrub the voice and ensure that the video would not compromise officer safety.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 31 October 2008, 10:30 AM
damian's Avatar
damian damian is offline
 
Join Date: 14 April 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 6,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Blue View Post
...the pilot did an outstanding job, and I would say likely saved the officer's life by telling him not to go over the fence when the guy was picking up the shotgun on the other side.
I am always amazed at how cool people can be in a highly stressful situation. The guy in the chopper is a true professional.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 31 October 2008, 12:45 PM
UEL's Avatar
UEL UEL is offline
 
Join Date: 01 August 2004
Location: Ottawa/Fredericton, Canada
Posts: 8,422
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
I am always amazed at how cool people can be in a highly stressful situation. The guy in the chopper is a true professional.
Imagine doing that for a career?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 31 October 2008, 04:06 PM
videoguy's Avatar
videoguy videoguy is offline
 
Join Date: 11 September 2006
Location: Clarence, NY
Posts: 1,197
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
However, those are all released by official sources. This one obviously was not. There are things I can analyse about this video that can potentially be used to cause harm to a police officer.

Official sources would scrub the voice and ensure that the video would not compromise officer safety.
What I'm saying is that videos are shown just like that *including* the voice of the officer in the helicopter directing the officers on the ground. Other than the suicide, there's nothing I hadn't seen or heard before on TV.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 31 October 2008, 04:40 PM
UEL's Avatar
UEL UEL is offline
 
Join Date: 01 August 2004
Location: Ottawa/Fredericton, Canada
Posts: 8,422
Default

Fair point, but I don't think this was officially released.

Most of the video I've seen have been from news helicopters, and their voice over, rather than police operations voice calls.

I know that when our footage is shown on television, it is not our voices being heard.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.