snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Glurge Gallery

Old 24 October 2007, 03:17 AM
Ezri

Ambulance Firefighters tears

Um will someone tell me if this is supposed to be a poem or a story or what? I found it on Myspace....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

FIREFIGHTERS TEARS

The alarm rang, as it had so many times before. He was the first of the fireman up and out, Awakened from his bed at the station By the clanging of the bell. Engine 3 pulled out of the bay, Dispatch paged another station. And all the firemen aboard the truck Were tensed with anticipation

"Sounds like a job, boys," He said as he donned his gear. And the young jakes smiled at him As they drew ever near.

They turned onto his own street And he could see the fire's work He hoped their mother woke his kids To see their dad at work.

His heart sank as he saw the home That he so dearly loved Going up in Smoke and flames As he donned his gloves.

Aggressively he hit the fire And searched the rooms above. And with a flare of personal vengeance He saved what remained of his home.

As he left the world of flaming hell He saw his little girl He ran quickly to her side and said "Honey, Daddy's here."

He would never forget what next she said As he held her close, "I love you, Daddy," she whimpered, And he began to weep.

She died in his arms that night The others, later on. His comrades gave him their respects but his family was gone.

He sits alone at the station, now, There's no more spring in his step. He stays detached from his fellows to avoid once again being hurt.

He risks it all in fires, now, No more concerns for his safety. He has taken a solemn vow. He won't let it happen to another, as long as he's around.

...IF YOU LOVE WHAT THE MEN AND WOMEN DO IN THE FIRE SERVICE REPOST THIS... FIREFIGHTERS TEARS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 24 October 2007, 03:23 AM

Given that they would need to know the address in advance to get to the house, and that the firefighter would probably know his address and not be surprised when they pulled up, I doubt it's actually a true story.
Old 24 October 2007, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezri View Post
Um will someone tell me if this is supposed to be a poem or a story or what?
I'll vote for "or what!" Calling it a "poem" would be an insult to poets everywhere. I might consider calling it a "story" as long as I could add modifiers like bad, poorly written, barely coherent, etc. . .
Old 24 October 2007, 03:36 AM

Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_feldon View Post
Given that they would need to know the address in advance to get to the house, and that the firefighter would probably know his address and not be surprised when they pulled up, I doubt it's actually a true story.
Dunno, cos I'm thinking only the driver and radio operator would know the full address until the engine arrived at the house.

Apart from that the whole thing is a load of cow-droppings. Nearly as bad as the Miners one.
Old 24 October 2007, 03:43 AM
uselessmetaphor

I think rhyming dictionaries should be outlawed for anyone with a MySpace account and intent to glurge.
Old 24 October 2007, 03:50 AM

I want to mock this one but it is so badly written and silly there's just no point. It is totally nonsensical.

I'm actually very disappointed - I normally like having a go at glurge but this is pitiful.

Dropbear
Old 24 October 2007, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uselessmetaphor View Post
I think rhyming dictionaries should be outlawed for anyone with a MySpace account and intent to glurge.
I don't think the author has fully grasped the concept of rhyming - it may be that they had a book that they thought was a rhyming dictionary but which was actually something else, possibly "My First Picture Book of Firefighting in the 1950's".

Dropbear
Old 24 October 2007, 04:27 AM

Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropbear View Post
I want to mock this one but it is so badly written and silly there's just no point. It is totally nonsensical.

I'm actually very disappointed - I normally like having a go at glurge but this is pitiful.

Dropbear
I feel your pain . I kept looking at it and my brain kept going into over-drive.
Old 24 October 2007, 05:13 AM
uselessmetaphor

Quote:
I don't think the author has fully grasped the concept of rhyming - it may be that they had a book that they thought was a rhyming dictionary but which was actually something else, possibly "My First Picture Book of Firefighting in the 1950's".

Dropbear
In that case, I am very disappointed by the lack of dalmatians.

Last edited by uselessmetaphor; 24 October 2007 at 05:14 AM. Reason: i can't spell
Old 24 October 2007, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uselessmetaphor View Post
In that case, I am very disappointed by the lack of dalmatians.
Easily fixed:

Quote:
Engine 3 pulled out of the bay, Dispatch paged another station. And all the firemen aboard the truck Were patting the dalmation
And, no, that's not a euphemism.

Dropbear
Old 24 October 2007, 07:14 AM
Class Bravo

Quote:
Originally Posted by queen of the caramels View Post
Dunno, cos I'm thinking only the driver and radio operator would know the full address until the engine arrived at the house.
I'm sure this varies from department to department, but based on my own personal experiences (my dad was a firefighter for over 30 years and I went on numerous ride-alongs with him when I was a teenager and thinking that I might want to become a firefighter)--

When the alarm went off at my dad's station, the dispatcher came over the loudspeaker (after the actual alarm stopped beeping) and announced all the units who were being dispatched, the type of emergency, the address, and any other pertinent information. So a dispatch would sound something like:

(15 loud beeps)
Battalion one, Engine 12, Engine 13, Truck 4, Medic 6, respond--structure fire, 9542 South Sepulveda Blvd...etc etc

Additionally, a printed summary of what information was available would spit out of a dot-matrix printer next to the engine, and the Captain would grab it on the way into the engine/truck.

Like I said, this is just one department's procedure, but I'm sure many others have similar.
Old 24 October 2007, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class Bravo View Post
I'm sure this varies from department to department, but based on my own personal experiences (my dad was a firefighter for over 30 years and I went on numerous ride-alongs with him when I was a teenager and thinking that I might want to become a firefighter)--

When the alarm went off at my dad's station, the dispatcher came over the loudspeaker (after the actual alarm stopped beeping) and announced all the units who were being dispatched, the type of emergency, the address, and any other pertinent information. So a dispatch would sound something like:

(15 loud beeps)
Battalion one, Engine 12, Engine 13, Truck 4, Medic 6, respond--structure fire, 9542 South Sepulveda Blvd...etc etc

Additionally, a printed summary of what information was available would spit out of a dot-matrix printer next to the engine, and the Captain would grab it on the way into the engine/truck.

Like I said, this is just one department's procedure, but I'm sure many others have similar.
You mean they don't have someone on a high tower looking out over the city ready to rush in, hammer at a bell and yell "Fire! It looks like its the Old Quigley Mansion"?

Dropbear
Old 24 October 2007, 07:39 AM

Icon106

Quote:

She died in his arms that night
It must have been something he said.
Old 24 October 2007, 07:41 AM

Quote:
And, no, that's not a euphemism.
That's better than the original and it's only 2 lines long. (and that isn't a euphemism either)
Old 24 October 2007, 08:04 AM
Class Bravo

Quote:
You mean they don't have someone on a high tower looking out over the city ready to rush in, hammer at a bell and yell "Fire! It looks like its the Old Quigley Mansion"?
Not until the fire department gets the same type of budget cuts my industry has seen.
Old 24 October 2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Tabby View Post
It must have been something he said.
She should have walked away, though.
Old 24 October 2007, 05:14 PM

Flame

Thanks for the earworm, TB Tabby and Spamamander.

Class Bravo, the way your Dad's dept. got their info is the only way I've seen it done. EVERYONE knows where they're going. They also have the radio in the dispatch room set to scan all emergency use channels. Basically, you know everything that's going on in the entire county including with the EMS and Police.

PS, this glurge made me want to hurl.
Old 24 October 2007, 07:36 PM

Regarding the species of the OP, I don't think it's prose or poetry.

It's doggerel.

With mange.
Old 24 October 2007, 07:44 PM

I like how it implies that firefighters don't really try that hard to save other people's houses and families unless they've lost their own house and family in a fire.

If that were true, then the only way to ensure good fire protection would be to set fire to every new recruit's house. "Congratulations! You have successfully completed the training! And you better hurry, Bill and Joyce lit up your condo almost 20 minutes ago!"
Old 24 October 2007, 07:55 PM

Flame

Quote:
He hoped their mother woke his kids To see their dad at work.
Look, sweetheart, see that black lump over there? That used to be Ruffles, the Stevensons' dog! Look at Daddy aiming the hose at your friends' playhouse! Uh oh, Daddy's sleeve is on fire!