snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 17 October 2007, 05:44 AM

Icon13 'Mom' and 'Dad' banished by California

Comment: Is this true?

"Mom and Dad" as well as "husband and wife" have been banned from California schools under a bill signed by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

http://www.topix.com/religion/christ...-by-california
Old 17 October 2007, 11:07 AM

Squirrel

Well, the original source is World Net daily, which should be a big clue right there.

The article in question is SB 777 (PDF file) which would add homosexuality to one of the things that schools could not discriminate against students for. So, in addition to teachers not being able to complain about how horrible all the PCMs are, they also can't complain about GLBT students either while in the classroom or other public areas while on duty.

The words Mom and Dad are still allowed. Telling student that they are going to hell if they don't have one of each is not.
Old 17 October 2007, 11:08 AM

Icon27

Quote:
"Shame on Schwarzenegger and the Democrat politicians for ensuring that every California school becomes a homosexual-bisexual-transsexual indoctrination center," he said.
Oh just that's just what will happen.

Who are these people?
Old 17 October 2007, 11:27 AM

Try as I might, I cannot find anywhere in that bill that says we cannot use "Mom" or "Dad" in school. This is someone's BS interpretation of the bill. While I agree that there ought not to be a homosexual agenda being taught in our public schools, I don't think this bill is meant to hamper traditional values from being taught either.
Old 17 October 2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondi View Post
Try as I might, I cannot find anywhere in that bill that says we cannot use "Mom" or "Dad" in school. This is someone's BS interpretation of the bill. While I agree that there ought not to be a homosexual agenda being taught in our public schools, I don't think this bill is meant to hamper traditional values from being taught either.
What on earth is a homosexual agenda?
Old 17 October 2007, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friends of Alfred View Post
Why, don't you know? Teh Gay people want to take away children from their parents and give them to gay couples who will turn them into teh gay also, and they want to make it against the law for a man and a woman to get married.
Old 17 October 2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
It's what gets discussed at homosexual meetings. Then someone writes it all up in the homosexual minutes.
Old 17 October 2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarquin Farquart View Post
It's what gets discussed at homosexual meetings. Then someone writes it all up in the homosexual minutes.
Do they have homosexual pre meetings to discuss the homsexual agenda for the homosexual meeting?
Old 17 October 2007, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Do they have homosexual pre meetings to discuss the homsexual agenda for the homosexual meeting?
Sometimes, although it uses up time that could be used promoting the homosexual agenda.

Some meetings you get a homosexual buffet and those are pretty good: homosexual sausage rolls, homosexual sandwiches, homosexual quiche and if you're lucky homosexual crisps.
Old 17 October 2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Sometimes, although it uses up time that could be used promoting the homosexual agenda.

Some meetings you get a homosexual buffet and those are pretty good: homosexual sausage rolls, homosexual sandwiches, homosexual quiche and if you're lucky homosexual crisps.
What, no fairy cakes?
Old 17 October 2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:

What I meant by this is that I rather not have the school system push stuff like "I Have Two Mommys" and "My Daddy Gets It Up The A**".

No thank you.
Old 17 October 2007, 12:23 PM

Quote:
"My Daddy Gets It Up The A**".
They never had that book when I was in school. I feel like I'm missing out somewhat.
Old 17 October 2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
They never had that book when I was in school. I feel like I'm missing out somewhat.
Really? Didn't you know it's in it's 12th edition by now?

Quote:
What I meant by this is that I rather not have the school system push stuff like "I Have Two Mommys" and "My Daddy Gets It Up The A**".

No thank you.
And if there are kinds in the class with Gay parents, what then? Should homosexuality not be discussed in any way shape or form? What about the significant historical and social lessons to be learned about society's reaction to gay people. What about current polititcal issues such as civil unions?

Summarising an issue to "My Daddy Gets It Up The Ass" does not help quite frankly.

Quote:

No thank you.
Uhm. Since that's not happening, never was, never will, perhaps you would like to examine what you think the homosexual agenda really is, why, if such a thing actually exists, would be discussed in schools, and if discussed in schools, why does that bother you. There is nothing wrong with being gay.

I listened to some program on the radio yesterday from Heritage Foundation discussing this bill. They got stuck on cross-dressing boys being able to access the girls' locker room, because "female" was the gender with which they identified that day. The hosts all got a great chortle out of it.
Old 17 October 2007, 12:29 PM
Jonny T

Quote:

No thank you.
since (AFAIK) those books don't exist, I'm curious about what wider issues you are summarising as unacceptable for the classroom.

no mention of homosexuality at all? no discussion of family units at all? mention but don't go into depth? discuss these things but don't discuss the social/moral/political issues around them? or what?
Old 17 October 2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny T View Post
since (AFAIK) those books don't exist, I'm curious about what wider issues you are summarising as unacceptable for the classroom.
I think the "mommy" one does, or one with a similar title. I've certainly heard it mentioned before.
Old 17 October 2007, 12:35 PM
Jonny T

there is Heather Has Two Mommies.

I was more concerned with the second one to be honest.
Old 17 October 2007, 01:08 PM
Barbara

Whalephant

Quote:
Granted how I've never seen a book in school titled "My Mom Likes My Dad to Go Down on Her," or "My Dad Likes My Mom to Ride Him Cowboy-Style," why would you worry that kids would be exposed to something like "My Daddy Gets It Up The A**"?

Sexually-explicit content is sexually-explicit content, no matter which sexes are involved. I suspect children in the California school system will continue to be shielded from it.
Old 17 October 2007, 02:17 PM

Even from that biased article, it seems that the bill is only against books that say things like marriage is only between a man and a woman, or that families are always mommy and daddy and kids. And honestly, that last one applies to more children than those who have homosexual parents. When I was growing up, I knew several kids who were being raised by grandparents, or by aunts and uncles, yet in books it was always "mommy and daddy". Even though they are the minority, kids in those situations should know that they are as much part of a family as the kids in more traditional situations. In fact, the kids in the minority probably need to know it even more, since kids are very much worried that they are different, and those that are different need reassurance that that is still ok.