snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 27 June 2007, 08:03 AM

Teacher US attorneys went to Bob Jones Univ.

Comment: I heard a story recently that the majority of attorneys in the
Justice Department, during the current Bush administration, are graduates
of the Bob Jones University.
Old 27 June 2007, 02:39 PM

Judge

Believe the questioner is thinking of Regent University School of Law, founded by Pat Robertson. In addition to Monica Goodling, according to various news sources, including the Boston Globe,

Quote:
Graduates of the law school have been among the most influential of the more than 150 Regent University alumni hired to federal government positions since President Bush took office in 2001, according to a university website
Ali "the law is a ass" Baba
Old 11 July 2007, 10:46 PM

Squirrel

I'd note that per US News and World Reports "Best Law Schools" (don't get me started on the problems of that ranking system ... but.) Regent seems to be squarely in the middle of the last tier - tier 4.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsa...ier4_brief.php

This seems suprising, given that as a soon to be graduate from a top 1/2 of tier 1 school who wants to work in federal government I have serious concerns/gut wrenching fear about my future job prospects.

-Winged Monkey
Old 16 July 2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
seems suprising, given that as a soon to be graduate from a top 1/2 of tier 1 school who wants to work in federal government I have serious concerns/gut wrenching fear about my future job prospects.
I think that's exactly the point that many of the Administration's critics are making; that Dubya et al have gone out of their way to hire a huge number of people for top administration posts who are graduates of what is classed as a mediocre school, rather than hiring people that might be best qualified for the jobs.

To be fair, I'm fairly certain this goes on in every administration. I remember well an influx of people at DoD who were thought to be "Friends of Bill" during Clinton (and no, they were not members of AA.) But what all of those people (the ones I knew, anyway) had in common was that they were bright, ambitious and hardworking. And I can say that even about the ones I didn't like. I don't know if anyone is saying the same thing about all of Justice's employees who are graduates of Regent.

Ali "is nepodespotism a word?" Baba