snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 28 February 2017, 03:08 PM

I heard a song that had the lyrics "All of my love, all of my love . . . " to the tune of All My Love, an album track by Led Zeppelin.

Somebody explained to me that it was a top 10 hit by somebody some year in the 1990s.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 03 March 2017, 12:16 PM

Two dreams, two things. Second dream woke me up, and a detail from it triggered the memory of the first (earlier) dream.

Second dream: My wife and I not only own our home, but we're still renting an apartment near my parents' house as well. I wasn't really aware of this until I was roused out of dream-bed at the apartment to answer the front door, where some people on a canned food drive wanted to know if we could donate. While checking the essentially bare cupboards, I mused to myself that we had plenty of food at the house.... which made me realize that we were still renting AND paying a mortgage! That woke me up.

Thinking about the dream, the bit about there being food at the house made me remember an earlier dream:

First dream: There is teleportation technology, and it's use is... complicated. It can handle individuals, cargo, and even groups of people, but the preparation process takes time - at least half an hour for the simplest teleport. Teleportation is between TP sites only, it's not "anywhere". TP-ers assemble in a room to make preparations, then step into the actual TP chamber for the instantaneous 'port.

The cool bit is that the process can be used medically to fix all sorts of problems; each TP room has an area full of refrigerated, bagged replacement organs and blood and so on which can be put into the TP process to fix particular medical issues (possibly disturbingly, this was the link to my first dream - things stored in refrigeration).

Another thing is that there is a "terrorist filter" (what it was called in my dream) that will shut down the teleporter, seal the prep room, and assemble a combat robot to take down identified terrorists. This happened in my dream; the crew of 5 or 6 people prepping in the prep room were identified, but seemed like normal soldiers. They were understandably upset when the combat robot was assembled in front of them and began taking them down (not killing, but certainly severely injuring - need to capture for intel). It was only proven that they were, in fact, terrorist, when the last uninjured one stuck a machete into the throat of her teammate in order to silence her, since she apparently had crucial info that the terrorists didn't want leaked.

That last bit was the bulk of what I can remember of that dream, and it would have made for a pretty good scene in a movie. The robot assembly was particularly neat.

Last edited by Crius of CoH; 03 March 2017 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Too many uses of the word "cool". It's early; my mental editor is still asleep.
Old 03 March 2017, 02:18 PM

I have two (or three) cars in front of my house, almost brand new, that I apparently won in contests, but not one of them runs.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 16 March 2017, 07:24 PM

I'm about to start living in a residence hall at the school where I got my master's degree.

I met my opposite-gender roommate.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 17 March 2017, 05:24 PM

In a post-apocalyptic terror-world, there will always be prostitutes.
Old 17 March 2017, 06:19 PM

This isn't a perfect fit for the thread as I neither dreamed nor learned anything, but for roughly an eight hour block between 6 PM and 2 AM I had this terrible head ache and was sweating or shivering alternatively. This was exacerbated by having overnight duty on my ship, meaning I was getting phone calls every couple hours about this or that (sailor sent to hospital, this broke, that is out of position, etc). The ship also does not have heating, so it was cold as hell. Until about 2, I was never more than half asleep and was pretty delusional: I got it into my head that I should sleep with a collection of coats and towels and, at one point, got it into my head to sleep on the tile floor. If I felt cold or hot, I convinced myself I just needed to shift from between sleeping under the coats/towels vs. sleeping on top of them. Every half hour or so, I would sit up and announce to myself "oh god, you're out of your damn mind" before convincing myself that, no, I just needed to move that one towel to cover my feet and everything would be fine.

A little after 1, perhaps I was starting to get better, I had the clarity of mind to drink some water and pop some ibuprofen before finally settling on my bed to sleep in. I don't know what it was, but when I woke up at 4:30 AM (another phone call) it was over, except my voice is still incredibly hoarse from the mucus running down my throat all night.

Odd that it lasted less than a day. The good news is, in retrospect, the orders/advice I gave throughout the night still make perfect sense: it seems like I was only "out of it" as it related to my own self-awareness. Maybe what I learned was that it's possible to only be semi-delusional?
Old 17 March 2017, 11:26 PM

I gained about 60 pounds. I don't look much bigger, but I am now extremely dense, and my feet hurt.
Old 17 March 2017, 11:41 PM

All muscle, no doubt.
Old 20 March 2017, 03:13 PM

Glasses

Apparently, there exists a car (more like a van, really) that you start by drawing the key across the roof, and you steer by running the key over the dashboard (like using a mouse). But it is constructed like a regular car, so you have to lean forward in an awkward position to get the key on the dashboard to work.

Seaboe
Old 21 March 2017, 02:01 AM

United Kingdom

I got within 5 ft of swimming the English Channel before declaring I could go no further and stopping.
Old 22 March 2017, 01:50 PM

I'm joining the military again.

I'm being driven to my base with some others by somebody who was one of my leaders the last time.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 23 March 2017, 01:42 PM

I ran for office again.

Not sure how I did. It's Thursday or Friday and they're still counting the ballots, and I'm one of the top two finishers.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 23 March 2017, 01:59 PM

Whalephant

My sister called and told me I had to leave now and head as far south as I could as fast as I could, and take my valuables. I was incredibly dense about how far south was enough. She was thinking but not saying the Patagonia region of Argentina and I was thinking Nogales, Mexico (about 60 miles south of Tucson).

So I learned when the world is going to end, I'm a total dingbat.
Old 23 March 2017, 02:20 PM

Oh noes!

Hopefully, Dream!Bill will win the election, and have enough Dream!PoliticalClout to prevent the Dream!Pocalypse! If not, maybe he can at least Dream!Help Dream!You and Dream!People like Dream!You get to Dream!Safety in the Dream!South!

So, Dream!Win that Dream!Election, Dream!Bill! We're Dream!Counting on you!

No pressure or anything...
Old 23 March 2017, 03:11 PM

Glasses

I'm making a corset and currently sewing the boning channels. As a result, I dreamed of people in slots and trying to make my way through the slots.

Seaboe
Old 25 March 2017, 01:25 AM

You can grow tomato plants by simply placing sliced tomatoes on top of potting soil. The resulting tomato "tree" will sprout up to 60, 70, even 90 pieces of fruit. This is available as a YouTube instructional video.
Old 25 March 2017, 02:56 AM

Actually . . .

if you placed slices of tomato on potting soil, and watered properly: there are usually seeds in tomato slices; and they might well sprout.

If the result is an indeterminate cherry tomato, there might (if water, light, and nutrients are supplied) be 90 individual fruits produced, or even more.
Old 25 March 2017, 03:06 AM

WTH. YouTube videos actually exist of this exact method that I saw in my dream. (Did I happen to see a video or thumbnail and forget it, and my subconscious just resurrected the memory?) Holy crap. I'm going to have to try this.

This post shows some results.
Old 25 March 2017, 04:50 AM

Tomatoes bought at the grocery store are very likely to be strains selected for shipping not flavor; may not be suited to your area; are likely to be hybrids and, even if not, may have crosspollinated and therefore may also not come true to type (many tomato varieties self-pollinate before the flowers open, but some don't); and may be carrying unpleasant tomato diseases.

So while it is kind of a cute idea, I'd approach with caution. And if the seedlings show any sign of late blight, please, destroy them immediately -- you can infect the neighborhood for miles around.

-- if you're trying to perpetuate your own tomato strain, the more usual thing is to ferment the tomato pulp with the seed in it, and then dry the seed for storage. I expect you can find youtube videos of that process also.
Old 25 March 2017, 01:38 PM

Last night in my dreams I learned that today's Blondie comic is very controversial as it shows Dagwood and Herb Woodley going on a road trip together with the last panel strongly implying that they wound up in bed with each other. Yeah, weird... I don't even like Blondie that much as yet for some reason my subconscious dream-sate mind ships them.

Anyway the continuation of the dream had me coming here to post it. The whole messageboard had been redesigned with dozens more UL categories and subforums and after scrolling and scrolling and searching and searching I never could find things like Amusement Park or Wild Kingdom or any of the political topic forums or Rantidote. It was just scrolling past row upon row of extensive UL topics.