snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 16 March 2017, 02:09 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Technically everything's working, but ... while I can still use the Internet icon if I click where it used to be.
When this happened to me, it was a sign that the screen itself was dying (it went from this to having 1/2 the screen black, but still working if I could figure out where to click). I think you might need a new laptop, Mouse.

Seaboe

Last edited by Seaboe Muffinchucker; 16 March 2017 at 02:10 PM. Reason: more info
Old 16 March 2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
I no longer see the icon itself on the toolbar
You're icon cache might be corrupt. This will fix it:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...y-fix-articles
Old 17 March 2017, 12:23 AM

Mouse

Well, today it's all back to normal. I wonder if this is one of those weird little problems that computers develop every now and then, just to watch us squirm and remind us of how hopelessly dependent we are on them.
Old 17 March 2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
That is interesting Mouse. If you noticed the map of the world, some of states of Australia do it, most don't. Every time it comes up we are told that everywhere that does it loves and we are just backward and stupid for not having daylight saving blah blah blah, good to know many of you don't love it. The cow part was interesting as here were are told the cows don't like it.

I may have to bookmark that video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
Australian cows are different, and probably much more dangerous just due to being in Australia. They probably also have pouches.
Whoops mistake we were never told it was for the cows or the farmers, we are told the farmers don't like it.

But I am guessing farmers don't work to a clock, if the sun rises earlier, they get up earlier an work a longer day. And they worker harder when they are harvesting anyhow. We are told it is better for communicating with those in other states that are on daylight saving time. But since Australia is big enough to have several time zones, this is going to be a problem whatever time of year it is.
Old 17 March 2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
DST has never helped farmers or cows, IDK how that idea got started. Animals don't use clocks, so any chores that involve them need to be done at the same time regardless of how silly humans are playing with clocks.
Sorry Lainie, I was also wondering why in the US they think it because it was farmers DLS was brought about.
Old 17 March 2017, 03:59 PM

I have never heard the farmers explanation. I have heard that is is done for school kids and people working indoors all day.
Old 17 March 2017, 07:38 PM

Glasses

I heard the farmers' explanation a long, long time ago, when I was a child. I lived in a farming community (but not animal heavy farms), so it made enough sense to me that I never questioned it.

Seaboe
Old 18 March 2017, 12:54 AM

Mouse

I honestly wonder if Daylight Saving Time didn't start as some kind of government prank: let's see how many people we can trick into changing their clocks twice a year for no real reason.

Unfortunately, that reason was forgotten in the sands of time, forcing everyone to act as though it all makes some kind of sense.

Before anyone says anything about how Ben Franklin proposed it, I feel a need to point out that Ben Franklin also proposed flying a kite during a thunderstorm and in general, he was terrible at following his own advice. He said things like "A penny saved is a penny earned" and "Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise," yet he was a notorious spendthrift who stayed up late and chased loose women. About the only bit of his own advice Ben followed was "Wine is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

I do feel a need to point out that despite all this, Ben Franklin did manage to make it to the ripe old age of 84, making you wonder if he wasn't onto something with all the drinking, spending money, and skirt-chasing.
Old 18 March 2017, 01:03 AM

Daylight Savings was adopted as a temporary measure during WWI then repealed in some countries only to be reintroduced during WWII. Ben Franklin may have thought of it first but the reason it came about was to support the war effort. It made sense at the time, not so much anymore. But I do admit I always did appreciate "Spring Forward" when I could come home in daylight! Not sure if there were no DST when that would happen, or would it happen at the same time anyway because we would never have "Fall Back"? Too confusing for me to figure out.
Old 18 March 2017, 12:53 PM

No, Ben Franklin did not invent daylight savings nor did his humorous essay have anything to do with its conception.

However, this part from the same is that much more hilarious now that he's been called the inventor:
Quote:
And yet I know there are little, envious minds, who will, as usual, deny me this and say, that my invention was known to the ancients, and perhaps they may bring passages out of the old books in proof of it.

http://www.webexhibits.org/daylights...franklin3.html
Old 20 March 2017, 12:42 AM

Mouse

Okay, I was wrong for blaming Ben for Daylight Saving Time. But I stand by my assertion that you really shouldn't take advice from him in the first place.
Old 20 March 2017, 11:02 AM

Ugh, usually I'm used to the DST by now But last week because of the snow days we had, I slept in twice and I'm now still super tired when it's time to get up.... My "morning" ticker is right, I've been waking up a few minutes before my alarm, but my "go to bed" ticker seems to still be an hour behind.
Old 20 March 2017, 02:06 PM

It's weird the last few years I've had a hard time with "Spring Forward" but this year for some reason it hasn't bothered me at all. I don't know why but I'm glad as usually I feel jetlagged for days. Now if only whatever has changed stays changed for next year!
Old 20 March 2017, 02:38 PM

Glasses

After a solid week of Spring Forward without issue, this morning Ferdinand decided that it was time to get up at 4:30.

Seaboe
Old 20 March 2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Okay, I was wrong for blaming Ben for Daylight Saving Time. But I stand by my assertion that you really shouldn't take advice from him in the first place.
Unless it's dating advice--he did get around!
Old 20 March 2017, 10:01 PM

Mass Effect Andromeda isn't released until tomorrow.

I want to play it now.
Old 20 March 2017, 10:08 PM

It may be available at 9 pm today. All US stores were allowed to sell Fallout 4 when it was midnight on the east coast.
Old 20 March 2017, 10:51 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Mass Effect Andromeda isn't released until tomorrow.

I want to play it now.
You're lucky--I have to wait a whole week for MLB The Show 17!
Old 20 March 2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
It may be available at 9 pm today. All US stores were allowed to sell Fallout 4 when it was midnight on the east coast.
I preordered it from Amazon because I get a 20% discount on new video games thanks to being a Prime member. So I bought the Deluxe edition for less than the MSRP of the standard edition. And the only place that does midnight releases in my town is Gamestop, which I try to avoid patronizing.
Old 20 March 2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Okay, I was wrong for blaming Ben for Daylight Saving Time.
You're in good company. Even the ULRP page on daylight saving time mentions it in passing. I'm not sure why it always gets referenced in this context since it clearly has little or nothing to do with DST, IMHO.