snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 19 March 2017, 08:26 AM

Just doing my taxes, and every year I have to check the box to say I did not materially participate in this corporation's business activities. For my full time job. I don't appreciate their choice of wording.
Old 19 March 2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
My dislike of the Beatles comes from junior high, when I had a teacher who would play the same Beatles songs over and over and over every class until I wanted to jam ice picks into my ears.
Disliking is an entirely different thing from presuming to judge and dismiss them as irrelevant and unworthy of being given their place in musical history. There are lots of musicians and forms of music I dislike too .
Old 19 March 2017, 05:04 PM

TV

My local council is having hard rubbish collection starting Monday morning so everyone was hauling out all their old junk and piling it up on the curb outside their house all weekend. This is usually a BIG weekend for me because I travel all over the suburb noting what is getting thrown out and gathering up a whole bunch of lumber and plant pots and other items that I regularly use in my other projects.

This year I spent most of Saturday gathering up my own junk to be thrown out and I was putting Sunday aside as scrounging day but then I stayed up most of the night watching Netflix's new Marvel superhero series Iron Fist and slept in way too long on Sunday and didn't really get any scrounging done.

The kicker is that I'm not even enjoying Iron Fist all that much, it's pretty bland.
Old 20 March 2017, 11:33 AM

Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
I had an appointment with my job placement agency last Friday, although the first I heard about it was when I got a text message the previous day saying "Reminder: appt tomorrow 2pm at ___."
I turned up at 2pm and they said "Oh your appointment was at 1pm, you missed it." I showed them the text message and they noted that it had been sent by the Department of Human Services and not from them so I pointed out to them that if that was the case then they actually hadn't notified me about the appointment at all.

I had another appointment with them at 1pm today and when I turned up they couldn't find my name on their appointments list but included me in the group appointment anyway. Had a long chat with several of the reps, got all the handouts, participated in all the group activities and things went pretty well.
I got an automated text at 5:15pm saying "Pls ring us as soon as possible, you missed your appointment and your unemployment benefits have now been automatically suspended."
Note that this was 5:15pm Friday so their offices were closed and I won't be able to sort all this out until Monday.

I don't expect that I'll have any problems getting this sorted out but it's such a pain in the ass.
UPDATE: so I rang the job placement agency this morning and reminded them that I did attend that meeting on Friday and they promised me it would all be sorted out within an hour. I asked them to call me back and confirm it had been fixed but apparently they don't do that.

Later that afternoon a different person from the job agency rang me to arrange an initial meeting where they could just check in with me and go over my resume and make sure I understood their role, etc etc.. When I pointed out that I'd attended a meeting exactly like that last Friday she sounded surprised but told me if that was the case I wouldn't need to attend the meeting again.

So I'm going to assume that the job agency still hasn't updated their records to show that I attended last Friday's meeting. It's possible that they informed the Department of Human Services and got my benefits reinstated but forgot to update their own records but of course I'm incredibly doubtful of their ability to do anything right so I'm going to have to contact the Department on my own to make sure and that could mean sitting on hold for up to 40 minutes or even more.
Old 20 March 2017, 12:04 PM

GM- how incredibly frustrating
Old 20 March 2017, 12:36 PM

I can't prove it but I strongly suspect that the benefits schemes have been made to be as awkward and frustrating as possible as an incentive for unemployed people to find work faster. Outsourcing a lot of the Department's functions to privately run job placement agencies which are incredibly hampered by regulations and red tape but also underfunded and swamped with clients is a big part of that, which is why I can't get too mad at the people who are currently screwing me around. Their incompetence is a symptom of systematic problems that run right throughout the Department and I'm sure they're having an awful time as well.
Old 20 March 2017, 03:00 PM

That was certainly the case here in Canada under the late unlamented Conservative government. Collecting EI (cleverly renamed employment insurance rather than unemployment insurance) became a system where you had to constantly prove you were desperately looking for work, you had to wait a qualifying period to even start to collect it and you had to keep showing up for pep talks where people would tell you how to find a job because clearly you had only to know how to look properly in order for a job to fall into your lap .

What was most ridiculous is that the people they were targeting, the chronically unemployed who only worked a job long enough to leave it so they could go on benefits (you know like 90% of everyone collecting any form of government benefits ) didn't care and were unmoved. The rest of us who weren't making enough on EI to even begin to contemplate staying on it any longer than we had to, or were of course entitled to - it didn't last forever! - didn't need to be treated like spongers and worse.
Old 20 March 2017, 04:25 PM

In the US, you have to document that you're looking for work, but AFAIK you don't have to show up for pep talks.
Old 20 March 2017, 07:39 PM

Icon106

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
And it begins.

Chuck Berry passed today. Very sad indeed. But, I've just returned from the mall where I overheard people talking about it at the food court (thank you hearing aids. I now have bionic hearing).

The overheard comments that get me going are:

- "His music wasn't very good."
- "It sounded like the music everybody was doing then"
- "It's not the best music of the era."

Grrr. People don't seem to realise that he was the FIRST one to do this music. Given ears tuned to today's music, it may not be very good. Music sounded a lot like Chuck Berry's music because everybody was copying Chuck Berry. While it may not be the best music of the era, that era was introduced by Mr Chuck Berry.

I'd be less disappointed if I overheard it from disillusioned Millennials, because the autotuned music popular with that crowd is sooooo polished that the squeaks and pops of a Chuck Berry tune on vinyl must be hard on the ears. But these were people a bit younger than me. Maybe mid-30s. I got the impression that music before 1992 was not good music at all with that gang.

Oh well. I still enjoy music from well before I was born, including Chuck Berry's.
Give Robert Johnson recordings a try.
squeaks and pops and crackle...

From one great, to another, progressing to today's "rock" music. Ask a great musician where his style is from, and backtrack it enough, and you will get these names in your list.

There's even this "quote" from John Lennon doing the twitter rounds (paraphrased a bit, because I don't have twitter atm) "If you were to try to rename rock and roll, you might call it Chuck Berry"
Old 20 March 2017, 07:48 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
The thing that annoys me, though, is that I can't stop beating myself up about it. . . It would just be nice if my own brain could be a little more on my side.
I don't have social anxiety, but I do this too, and man am I with you on that last sentence. Last week, I managed to fret myself into a TMJ episode that still hasn't completely let up.

Seaboe
Old 20 March 2017, 08:23 PM

This might be a first world problem, but it annoys me enough that I'm posting it in this thread.

On my last shopping trip, I picked up a couple of frozen spinach and mushroom quiches from Trader Joe's thinking they would be something I could stick in the microwave for a few minutes as a quick weekday breakfast, as I've done with frozen quiches from TJ's in the past. The packaging looked different from what I'd bought in the past, but I just assumed they'd changed the package design. Well I went to make one this morning and they're NOT the same quiches I've bought in the past. These come in an aluminum pie tin and the instructions specifically say not to microwave them. You have to bake them in the oven for 30 minutes -- definitely not something I can make as a quick breakfast before work. I was forced to eat cereal because it was the only other breakfast thing I had on hand.
Old 20 March 2017, 08:51 PM

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I may be going to Trader Joe's to pick up some of those -- I'm always on the lookout for easy weekday dinner options that don't use a microwave.
Old 20 March 2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Well I went to make one this morning and they're NOT the same quiches I've bought in the past. These come in an aluminum pie tin and the instructions specifically say not to microwave them. You have to bake them in the oven for 30 minutes -- definitely not something I can make as a quick breakfast before work. I was forced to eat cereal because it was the only other breakfast thing I had on hand.
I'd pop them out of the pie tins, wrap them loosely in paper towels and microwave them anyway. It might take a bit of experimenting to find a setting and time that worked properly but I reckon they'd be cooked sufficiently.

Edit: I'm assuming they're not all that dissimilar from the other quiches in terms of size/shape/consistency/pastry?
Old 20 March 2017, 08:57 PM

Or put them in a microwave-safe dish and cover them loosely. I was thinking of doing something similar with the microwave-only frozen mac & cheese cups I bought (having forgotten, until I got them home, that I no longer had a microwave).
Old 20 March 2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
That was certainly the case here in Canada under the late unlamented Conservative government.
Ugh, EI is the worst. I decided to delay my return to work after mat leave slightly (splitting with SO), and the rigamarole I had to go to just to change my return to work date by a week was ridiculous. You can't even speak to someone on the phone unless you call as soon as the phone lines open in the morning. (You just get a message saying they're too busy, you don't even get put on hold.) We even spent hours sitting in a real-life Service Canada office with our 6-month-old and spoke to numerous different people before they finally told us we could only change the dates by phone.
Old 20 March 2017, 09:10 PM

Re, the quiche: Certainly those are good ideas (take out of the tin) to microwave, but I wonder if these have the pie crust not (or partially) baked. If so, I would not recommend microwaving because you will never get a baked crust. It will be cooked but not very good at all (IMO). If it is fully baked, microwave away.

The option then would be to bake one the night before and nuke it in the morning. Or bake them all and then refrigerate if you will use them all that week (say a four pack) or freeze them. In the latter case you would be close to back where you wanted to be, with a frozen cooked quiche.

Or do like Lainie and eat them for dinner
Old 20 March 2017, 09:19 PM

If they have to bake in the oven for 30 minutes, its not just reheating, its cooking, at least partially. I wouldn't microwave something with a crust unless it was made to be microwaved.
Old 20 March 2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
So I'm going to assume that the job agency still hasn't updated their records to show that I attended last Friday's meeting. It's possible that they informed the Department of Human Services and got my benefits reinstated but forgot to update their own records but of course I'm incredibly doubtful of their ability to do anything right so I'm going to have to contact the Department on my own to make sure and that could mean sitting on hold for up to 40 minutes or even more.
UPDATE: it was slightly over 45 minutes, I lose that round! But they confirmed that the problem was fixed.
Old 22 March 2017, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
In the US, you have to document that you're looking for work, but AFAIK you don't have to show up for pep talks.
This irritated me because during my time on unemployment, I was led to believe that if I didn't have detailed notes and signatures that my benefits would be cut. Somehow I managed to never get anything close to an interview (even at places like Wal-Mart), despite filling out dozens of applications and sending out resumes, etc. So I scrupulously kept copies of all of this crap, and was never asked for it.
Old 22 March 2017, 01:19 AM

In my experience, I had to keep the documentation, because you can be audited, and if you can't document eligibility, they can make you pay back your benefits (and possibly charge you with a crime).

I had to do one face-to-face meeting, one or two phone conversations with a live person, and at the first meeting I could have been told to come in for skills workshops or something, I think. This was during the worst job loss period of the recession, so they may have been providing extra services/requiring extra hoop jumping at the time.

They also had one of those phone hold systems where you can call in, and it will mark your place in line, and then you hang up and someone calls you back when your spot comes up. Much better than being stuck on hold.

Last edited by erwins; 22 March 2017 at 01:24 AM.
Closed Thread