snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 18 March 2017, 11:30 PM

Icon06 Rock and roll legend Chuck Berry dies

Looks like the world lost a rock and roll legend today. Chuck Berry died at the age of 90. At least he had a very nice, long life, but still a big blow to rock history.

Link here.
Old 19 March 2017, 02:45 AM

A good long life well lived. RIP. I wonder how many other rock and rollers have made it to, or will make it to 90?
Old 19 March 2017, 01:20 PM

Chuck was quite a character, but he sure did help make rock'n'roll what it is now.

OY
Old 20 March 2017, 01:35 AM

Mouse

And he did it without help from his cousin, Marvin.
Old 20 March 2017, 03:27 PM

Glasses

From what I've heard of Mr. Berry, I'd be surprised if he admitted he had help from anyone, even his parents (without whom he would not have existed).

Seaboe
Old 20 March 2017, 05:27 PM

Icon106

So now there are only two of Rock's Founding Fathers left: Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Bob Seger put it best: All of Chuck's children are out there, playing his licks....
Old 20 March 2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
From what I've heard of Mr. Berry, I'd be surprised if he admitted he had help from anyone, even his parents (without whom he would not have existed).

Seaboe
He could be proud and ornery, but not totally unaware of his antecedents:

Quote:
"Writing a song can be a peculiar task," he wrote in Chuck Berry: The Autobiography. "The kind of music I like then, thereafter, right now and forever, is the kind I heard when I was a teenager. So the guitar styles of Carl Hogan, T-Bone Walker, Charlie Christian and Elmore James, not to leave out many of my peers who I've heard on the road, must be the total of what is called Chuck Berry's style."
Source.
Old 20 March 2017, 07:12 PM

Icon06

I surely shed a tear when I heard this. RIP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
So now there are only two of Rock's Founding Fathers left: Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis.
I'm happy to say I saw Berry and Lewis live - and while Jerry Lee was no slouch, Chuck always blew the house down.

Is Little Richard still performing?
Old 20 March 2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
I surely shed a tear when I heard this. RIP.

I'm happy to say I saw Berry and Lewis live - and while Jerry Lee was no slouch, Chuck always blew the house down.

Is Little Richard still performing?

Didn't Little Richard turn to religion many years ago?

Fats Domino is another R&R pioneer still living, who had a lucky escape from Hurricane Katrina.
Old 20 March 2017, 09:45 PM

I was lucky enough to see Chuck twice and got to sing "My Ding a Ling" with the crowd. He still had many of his moves.

So far as I know Little Richard does not perform anymore. The one time I saw him perform was when he had returned to Rock n Roll. He ended his act with a strip tease, throwing articles of clothing out into the audience.

Fats Domino did a show after Katrina, not so much a benefit as a celebration. He was extremely nervous about performing and had to be encouraged to do more than a couple songs. He seemed to truly believe no one cared about his music anymore. still, that smile came out now and then. That is what I remember most about Fats is his smile when singing. There was a documentary about that show, "Walkin' Back to New Orleans", I think it was called. I don't think he has performed in public since.He was one of the performers at the first concert I ever attended back in the 70's.
Old 20 March 2017, 10:02 PM

Icon106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo Bob View Post
Fats Domino did a show after Katrina, not so much a benefit as a celebration. He was extremely nervous about performing and had to be encouraged to do more than a couple songs. He seemed to truly believe no one cared about his music anymore.
That is sad. I certainly care, as I did with Berry.

And not to stray too far from the real topic here, but another (younger) old timer I saw not too long ago was Chubby Checker (whose name was a parody of Fats Domino). Not one of the true innovators, but someone who really helped bring the music into the mainstream. His show is a real walk down memory lane, as he does songs associated with others of the era. I even got to do the twist with him on stage!
Old 20 March 2017, 10:39 PM

Yeah, Chubby's shows were always a lot of fun. I have not seen him in quite some time, but can imagine he still puts on a good show.

Supposedly Dick Clark's wife gave him his name. She was in the studio when Ernest came in and Dick said he was reminiscent of Fats Domino. She replied that he looked more like a Chubby Checker.

Chubby was brought in to cover Hank Ballard's The Twist" because Hank had a risque reputation. Chubby does sound a lot like Hank on that song.

Dick Clark always stressed Chubby's importance. I agree, though it was more the song and dance that changed things than Chubby himself. For the first time it was okay for adults to dance to Rock n Roll. Everybody got into the craze. Even Muddy Waters recorded a twist song.