snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 20 March 2017, 02:17 PM

Glasses

I saw John Cleese on Friday.

Seaboe
Old 24 March 2017, 09:02 AM

Top 40 music makes me happy. There's always some really really good tracks in there. American music in particular. How do they do this? Maybe I just don't listen to the radio enough. (I've complained before about our FM reception.) I have got to start using internet radio or just do what our kids do and listen to YouTube. It's my perennial complaint but I've missed so much great music in the past decade plus.
Old 24 March 2017, 02:16 PM

Glasses

Ganz, IME (and IMO), putting together a playlist on YouTube gets you a greater variety of music than internet radio.

LTTMMH: Beating the assh*le aggressive driver across the 520 bridge yesterday, by driving the way I always do.

Seaboe
Old 24 March 2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Ganz, IME (and IMO), putting together a playlist on YouTube gets you a greater variety of music than internet radio.
Sure but if I put it together myself then doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose of listening to new stuff I haven't heard of yet? I've just been reading the top ten list and finding those on YouTube. That works too but... hmm I guess I want my MTV! Actually, I've never had MTV. I want Top 40 FM radio. That's the FWP but what makes me happy right now is that I can hear them on YouTube. I'm becoming my kids. They don't even know what radio is and they very rarely watch TV. What's wrong with kids these days?!
Old 25 March 2017, 08:43 AM

I found 4 new artists after reading an article about a favorite artist's top 10 albums. And I have a music-mad colleague that loves to share, so I'm slowly expanding my music appreciation. I need to get listening!
Old 25 March 2017, 01:19 PM

Apparently, I will be attending Weird Al's only live performance this year! He is an honorary member of the 501st Legion, and they are having their 20th anniversary bash at this year's Star Wars Celebration. He will be performing a small set there, and that is the only performance he has scheduled for the year.
Old 25 March 2017, 04:39 PM

He's really ratcheting down his concert tours now that he's no longer producing studio albums and he's the lead VA for a new cartoon, isn't he?
Old 26 March 2017, 06:41 AM

Flame

My hands have nearly healed up! I burnt both hands in two separate incidents 2 weeks ago and 4 weeks ago (one was jumping a BMX through a burning hoop, dunno if I can call that an 'incident' since it was deliberate) and the burns weren't too serious but I've still been reapplying bandages and burn creme several times a day since then. Yesterday was the first day that the burns were sufficiently healed that I decided not to reapply the bandages.
Old 26 March 2017, 12:06 PM

I'd have posted this in Wild (Backyard) Kingdom, but the phone camera picture I got was awful, so it goes here with a bunch of yakkety-yak, instead (apparently I'll need to post about 1,000 words to replace the picture).

I set out with the dog this morning for his walk; we leave via the back door and circle around to head down the driveway and out to the street.

Seemingly unrelated fact: back in November, we had one of those ductless split-system AC systems put in, with a condenser unit in my back yard. For obvious reasons, the AC hasn't run very much over the winter. However, we have a houseguest for the weekend, and I know she turned on the living room unit for sleep comfort last night.

Back to the story: as I am heading out, I hear a metallic, mechanical noise, very brief. It sounds kind of like when an old fan with "rattley" blades comes to a stop. This is upsetting, because I am near the AC system condenser unit, which I know has been running, and which has a fan inside it. WTF??!! It's brand new, barely used, and already broken??!!

Then I hear the sound again, and now I realize it's above me.

Second seemingly unrelated fact: I never took down the old TV antenna off my roof, although all the wiring for it is long gone.

Looking up, I see a bird perched on the antenna. As I watch, it pecks rapidly at the antenna, making the rattling sound I'd heard.

I tried getting a picture with my phone camera, but between the dog pulling at the leash and the sunrise being behind my only good angle, the picture showed nothing but a tiny, washed-out blob.

The bird then flew across the street as I relented to the dog and continued the walk; it landed on the chimney of the house across from mine, settled on the metal cap over the flue, and began tapping on that for a bit.

I suspect a reincarnated steel drum musician in the body of a woodpecker. It seemed to enjoy the sound.
Old 26 March 2017, 12:20 PM

Whalephant

We had a woodpecker here at the hotel that drove a guest crazy as it tapped on some metal doohickey outside his room. He accused me of our of deliberately putting him in that room because we knew the woodpecker would drive him crazy. Um, no. Then he wanted us to shoot it. We said no. I understand he was practically frothing at the mouth when he checked out.
Old 26 March 2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
He accused me of our of deliberately putting him in that room because we knew the woodpecker would drive him crazy.
Sounds like he had already driven all the way to crazy, parked the car, and continued walking further in.

I am almost 100% certainly over-anthropomorphizing, but I suspect the birds genuinely like the sound/feel of pecking at metal. There is no shortage of trees in my neighborhood, and I have encountered many woodpeckers (or the same one/few many times) working on trees around the neighborhood over the years. This is just the first time I heard one tapping at metal.
Old 26 March 2017, 04:38 PM

I've seen woodpeckers banging away on metal light poles before. Apparently it's a territorial display- the sound warns off other woodpecker's that this is their turf.
Old 27 March 2017, 02:13 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Sure but if I put it together myself then doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose of listening to new stuff I haven't heard of yet?
Do it by putting together music videos related to a TV show. I used Stargate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I've seen woodpeckers banging away on metal light poles before.
Territorial and mating, I believe. At this time of year (i.e., spring) the local birds tend to bang on the metal caps on chimneys (including mine).

Seaboe
Old 28 March 2017, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Territorial and mating, I believe. At this time of year (i.e., spring) the local birds tend to bang on the metal caps on chimneys (including mine).
Huh. Never saw or heard it before.... although, to be fair, my neighborhood is fairly loud with all kinds of noises; quite probably I've heard it before but thought it was "normal" human-made sounds!
Old 28 March 2017, 01:15 AM

I discovered I've been walking 4 to 5 miles every evening without being winded or feeling like it's a long way. I didn't realize I'd been walking that far. I'm going to start leaving earlier and see if I can double that. Or walk that route twice a day on my days off.
Old 28 March 2017, 02:20 AM

Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
I suspect a reincarnated steel drum musician in the body of a woodpecker.
In fact, drumming is the actual term for that behavior.
Old 28 March 2017, 02:05 PM

Glasses

Good for you, Cervus. It's amazing how short 5 miles feels when it's a normal part of your routine.

I usually walk 1.5 miles in the morning (1 mile of it with the dog), another mile at lunch, and 1.5 miles in the evening. The other mile gets walked during work and normal moving around.

LTTMMH: I got asked to be head ninja for my local convention's masquerade.

Seaboe
Old 28 March 2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Do it by putting together music videos related to a TV show. I used Stargate.
Good idea.

I remember that TV show House had a bunch of good tunes so I got the CD. Not all of them were new songs but at least some were new to me. New versions too.
Old 28 March 2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Good idea.

I remember that TV show House had a bunch of good tunes so I got the CD. Not all of them were new songs but at least some were new to me. New versions too.
The theme song is great for lunges
Old 28 March 2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Good for you, Cervus. It's amazing how short 5 miles feels when it's a normal part of your routine.
Indeed. When I first moved to this area I walked at least four miles a day, routinely - two miles to work, and two miles back. The way to work was up a steep hill, and (since our office was in a converted barn in the middle of nowhere) I would often go for a three-mile walk at lunchtime (back down and up the same hill) as well, so I was averaging nearly seven miles a day. That's back when I used to do very long walks at the weekends as well... I walked over 200 miles per month for at least a couple of months running, without "breaking routine".

Sadly the daily part of this hasn't applied for ages, and although I used to try to do longer walks at the weekend, I've not walked a serious distance for a year or two, and it does become noticeably harder to do so if you're not doing the routine stuff. Going to the gym doesn't work in the same way for me - for one thing, I'll never manage to make it routine.

(eta) Whenever somebody mentions a "10k run!!!" that they've done and want praise for as though it's the hardest thing ever, I think back to when I was actually fit - aged 19 or so, so a quarter of a century ago now - and used to run 6 miles (i.e. 10k) for fun every Sunday because I enjoyed it as a break from the training routine for rowing. I scoff at them for a bit, and then reflect on how sad it is that I'm looking down on their achievements from the perspective of extreme nostalgia. I couldn't run a hundred metres these days without hurting my knees or being sick. So on the whole, the people I'm trying to scoff at come out best.

Last edited by Richard W; 28 March 2017 at 11:39 PM.