snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 12 March 2017, 11:54 PM

The Mucinex ad where the woman with the ad is icing cupcakes for the party. Thanks, Typhoid Mary.
Old 14 March 2017, 02:31 PM

Cow

That sounds gross!

There's a radio ad from Steak-um I think that is really really patronizing to vegetarians. See, beef has lots of protein, which helps with amino acid formation, which feeds the brain. So beef is brain food. Now I don't know of this is true or not, but the ad is just really insulting/patronizing.
Old 14 March 2017, 02:41 PM

OMG there's protein in beef? I had no idea, I'll start eating it again immediately.
Old 14 March 2017, 02:52 PM

Icon23

You better if you want to be smart!
Old 14 March 2017, 03:08 PM

That must be why I've been so stupid the last 25 years.
Old 14 March 2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
That sounds gross!

There's a radio ad from Steak-um I think that is really really patronizing to vegetarians. See, beef has lots of protein, which helps with amino acid formation, which feeds the brain. So beef is brain food. Now I don't know of this is true or not, but the ad is just really insulting/patronizing.
It's technically true but it implies that a vegetarian or at least beef-free diet will result in a protein deficiency in the diet, which is absolutely not true.
Old 14 March 2017, 05:08 PM

There is a health insurance commercial (maybe Manulife) where a couple is working on a mural in their kid's room. The father makes a mistake in his painting, stands up to get a rag, knocks over the ladder that has a can of paint on top of it, slips on the hardwood in his sock feet and knocks all sorts of things about (wife ends up covered in paint). With a voice over about how things are unpredictable so you need insurance.

Making a mess because of leaving a can of paint on a ladder is pretty predictable. Slipping on hardwood in sock feet is pretty predictable (heck that's a game to kids).

The only good thing in the commercial is the expression on the kids face when he walks in...My parents are idiots.
Old 14 March 2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
There's an ad for dishwashing detergent where the wife thanks the husband for loading the dishwasher, then immediately starts correcting it because (of course) he did it wrong. The setup is bad enough, but to add to the annoyance, she describes the red gunk on one pan as "baked-on Alfredo (sauce)." Alfredo sauce is white, and AFAIK it does not magically become red when you bake it.
Just saw the ad again, and they've changed the audio -- now she says "burnt-on gravy." It doesn't look like gravy to me, either, but I guess it's more like gravy than Alfredo sauce would be.
Old 14 March 2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Just saw the ad again, and they've changed the audio -- now she says "burnt-on gravy." It doesn't look like gravy to me, either, but I guess it's more like gravy than Alfredo sauce would be.
They must have had enough complaints. I was annoyed by it too, and heard several other folks online calling it out.
Old 16 March 2017, 07:50 PM

Flipped on the TV this morning, and it was on a low budget local station. There was a commercial for "Million Dollar Smile", which are veneers that go over your teeth. It is a nightmare! The people they have in the commercial look scary. If that is the best they can do, I can only imagine what a person would end up with on their own.
Old 16 March 2017, 11:01 PM

I saw that same commercial, and yeah, they're pretty obvious, even on TV. I think part of the problem is that they've got the people in the commercial smiling extra wide, in a very unnatural way to show off the veneers. Also, iffen I remember right, they're only the uppers.

I've got dental issues myself. Fortunately, I'm able to afford to do something about it. I completely understand how people who aren't as fortunate would be attracted to something like this.
Old 17 March 2017, 12:59 AM

There's a radio ad (at least in the SW MI area) for Big Boy's all you can eat fish on Friday's that begin with a bunch of kids off-key singing "Fish, Fish, Fishy Fish" over and over and over again.

Sets my teeth on edge.
Old 17 March 2017, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
They must have had enough complaints. I was annoyed by it too, and heard several other folks online calling it out.
The other annoying thing about it was that Alfredo is a very delicate sauce, made of cream and cheese, basically, and I can't imagine it stands up well to being baked. I've never seen anyone make baked pasta with Alfredo sauce, and there's probably a reason for that.
Old 27 March 2017, 04:06 PM

I wouldn't say I hate it, but I am mildly annoyed by the Taco Bell commercial that starts out with the announcer saying "Everybody loves Taco Bell's iconic Crunch Wrap." Ok, I'm going to need a citation for this claim that everybody loves them. My main annoyance, though, is them calling the Crunch Wrap "iconic". Seriously, in what way is it iconic? The fact that this food product existed at all was barely on my radar. I really don't see how it's iconic.
Old 27 March 2017, 05:58 PM

Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I wouldn't say I hate it, but I am mildly annoyed by the Taco Bell commercial that starts out with the announcer saying "Everybody loves Taco Bell's iconic Crunch Wrap." Ok, I'm going to need a citation for this claim that everybody loves them. My main annoyance, though, is them calling the Crunch Wrap "iconic". Seriously, in what way is it iconic? The fact that this food product existed at all was barely on my radar. I really don't see how it's iconic.
The thing about that one that irritates me is that they don't think this horrendous overstuffed monstrosity has enough calories to stand as a meal on its own. The full meal comes with two extra elaborate tacos.
Old 28 March 2017, 02:07 AM

Quote:
There's a sizable population of New York Italians who refer to tomato sauce as "gravy." (I'm not one, but I used to date one.)