snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 20 December 2016, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Angua View Post
This Amazon ad actually nearly had me sniffling.
I was coming in to post this one too. Nice reminder that maybe we should be looking at similarities, instead of differences.
Old 21 December 2016, 06:37 AM

As a little something to lighten up the days, this British Rail Ad from 1985 always makes me laugh, as it has many others I've shown it to.

For sheer craftsmanship, and good use of music/footage, though, the advert for the British Pathé TV Channel is one I find hard to beat.
Old 27 December 2016, 09:25 PM

The Shriners Childrens' Hospital commercials. I like that it's just a bunch of cute happy kids showing off things they now can do instead of misery montages trying to make you pity the kids and throw money at them. There's no talk about "fixing" the kids, just giving them tools and PT to help them be independent, and I think "children with disabilities can live happy, productive, and fulfilling lives" is a valuable message.
Old 27 December 2016, 11:38 PM

Mouse

That actually sounds kind of nice, mbravo. I'm wondering if those hated ASPCA commercials could benefit from a similar approach--show cute and cuddly animals and talk about how they've been able to find homes for animals in need, because of money received from donors. But when it comes to the ASPCA, I'd settle for just shortening them, because they're like the Lord of the Rings of commercials, except Lord of the Rings had cool fight scenes and Samwise being awesome, as opposed to a bunch of sad animals in cages.
Old 28 December 2016, 12:12 AM

I agree. The ASPCA commercials seem to go on for the full length of the commercial break. It is surely designed to wear people down who are stuck watching/listening to the thing. (And really, once you know the commercial is on, even if you turn away, as long as you hear that SAD music, you start picturing the animals.... very effective but also very annoying for that reason)

I mean, people need to know about the reality of animal abuse and neglect. But yeah, I'd love to see more ads showing happy outcomes... I guess they keep things dire in order to hammer the point home that YOUR HELP AND $$$ IS STILL NEEDED DONATE NOW. I'm just glad I almost only watch shows that are pre-recorded, and if not, I do the Dad Dance (my dad fervently hates a handful of ads so when they come on while he's watching live TV he'll just bounce to a different channel for a sufficient amoutn of time )

Another thing I like about the Shriner's commercials is that except for maybe a line or two (depending on the commercial), all the lines are actually delivered by the kids rather than an adult just talking about them, which gives them more agency and frames them as people rather than pitied beings. It helps that they're all so gosh darned cute also but that's just basic ad casting 101
Old 28 December 2016, 12:48 AM

Maybe I have gotten jaded, at least in this regard, but seeing animals looking pitiful doesn't move me at all. Heck, my dog looks that pitiful if I don't share my banana with him!
Old 30 December 2016, 02:23 PM

Icon24

There is a PSA about not drinking and driving that features neon signs. The signs look like ones you'd find on bars and say things like Break Your Girlfriend's Heart; Pawn Your Computer, etc. I can just imagine someone saying hey,let's go to Pawn Your Computer for some beers!
Old 30 December 2016, 07:52 PM

TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
The Shriners Childrens' Hospital commercials. I like that it's just a bunch of cute happy kids showing off things they now can do instead of misery montages trying to make you pity the kids and throw money at them. There's no talk about "fixing" the kids, just giving them tools and PT to help them be independent, and I think "children with disabilities can live happy, productive, and fulfilling lives" is a valuable message.
Agreed, plus the little guy who has been the spokeskid for a few of those is a real charmer.

EDIT: Apparently a lot of people agree.
Old 03 January 2017, 01:53 PM

The only commercial they played before Rogue One that didn't make me angry.

Children's Miracle Network

also love the latest campaign by Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78mNZeDaMtk
Old 16 January 2017, 04:21 AM

I just saw a commercial for Sheba cat food. It starts out with a couple passionately kissing, starting to rip off each other's clothes. Nothing too explicit of course, but it's obvious what they're getting ready to do. That is, until the man looks down and notices his cat staring up at him. At this point, we see the man walking to the kitchen in his boxers with his pants around his ankles to go feed the cat .

I like it not just because it's funny, but it breaks typical gender stereotypes, that cats are girly and dogs are manly; the cat clearly belongs to the man. Also men don't just think about sex; he was willing to delay what he was about to do with his wife or girlfriend to take care of his cat.
Old 16 January 2017, 11:56 AM

My family and I really like the Geico "Skating Sumo Wrestler" ad, especially his finishing move, the "baby bird".
Old 16 January 2017, 01:02 PM

I also enjoy the other figure skater's reactions (which I think you only see in the longer version of the ad).
Old 16 January 2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
My family and I really like the Geico Skating Sumo Wrestler ad
I'm a bit dubious about that one. It seems to me to carry a fairly strong undertone of 'look, fat people are funny!'
Old 16 January 2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I'm a bit dubious about that one. It seems to me to carry a fairly strong undertone of 'look, fat people are funny!'
What's your point?

Actually, now that I have watched it, I don't think so. They don't ask the skater to do pirouettes, but it's a 'fish out of water' thing, like the SNL skit about men doing swim-ballet, or whatever that's called.
Old 17 January 2017, 12:55 PM

ATNM, do you think the ad would work the same way if instead of the sumo wrestler they used, say, a basketball player, with that traditional very tall and lean physique?
Old 17 January 2017, 04:04 PM

Or a muscular American pro-wrestler?
Old 07 February 2017, 09:19 PM

There's a commercial for the Navy Federal Credit Union about how you can use them if you are a service member or a relative of a service member. What makes it a CIAL is that it has a Village People "In the Navy" shout-out. One of the lines is "If you are in the Navy, you can join. If you are afraid of water and your sister is in the Navy, you can join."
Old 07 March 2017, 10:17 PM

This Snickers ad.