snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Moot Court

Old 09 October 2016, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winged Monkey View Post
When I used to help people with their bankruptcies, I dealt with the IRS a lot - they aren't mean, they don't call you, they don't act like your typical collection agency.
-Winged Monkey
WM's whole post would make a great entry in snopes for what the IRS will and wont do, which would be good generic entry for any calls purportedly from the IRS. I particularly like getting across the idea the IRS doesn't need to threaten you, they have the all power. If a random caller actually threatens you with anything that is a good sign the aren't actually the IRS.
Old 09 October 2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
When I used to help people with their bankruptcies, I dealt with the IRS a lot - they aren't mean, they don't call you,
After my mother died, I was in a weird state of mind, and one of the things that I messed up was that I didn't send in my tax forms. I felt guilty about not doing it, but the guiltier I felt the harder it was to do.

Eventually I got a letter from them. There was nothing threatening about it whatsoever (well, aside from its being a letter from the IRS, at any rate); it basically said, in a calm and reasonable tone, 'we noticed that you haven't filed, and we think you might owe us some money because reasons, so if you did send in your forms send us a copy and if you haven't do it now and in any case you must respond to this letter by x date' which was several weeks from the date when I got the letter.

I responded to the letter by filling out my tax forms and sending those. That settled the matter, no problem. I didn't actually owe them anything; if I had, I expect I'd have had to send it along with probably a fine for not sending it on time.
Old 09 October 2016, 03:21 PM

We once messed up with Canada Revenue because my husband's then employer messed up his T4 slip and we didn't notice until long after we filed. It wasn't a big deal but when we got the corrected T4 slip and realized it made a difference I admit I panicked because, hey, revenuers . Anyway all we had to do was file an amended return with a letter of explanation. No one had called us and the amended return was accepted without any question or follow up.

There's just something about dealing with tax people that scares the hell out of many of us, usually without any real reason. Of course that's what these scammers count on.

Last edited by Sue; 09 October 2016 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10 October 2016, 02:15 PM

Glasses

I'm sure the IRS and its foreign equivalents figured out a long time ago that they get more money from people who aren't deliberate cheats by being reasonable than by being threatening.

I also thing it's probably fairly easy to tell the deliberate cheats from the inadvertent mistakes.

Seaboe
Old 11 October 2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
When I used to help people with their bankruptcies, I dealt with the IRS a lot - they aren't mean, they don't call you, they don't act like your typical collection agency.

They don't have to. If you owe them money they can get it, you can't discharge the debt, and the IRS isn't trying to make a profit from bad debt. The IRS doesn't buy your 90 day overdue debt for 60 - 10 cents on the dollar and then try to squeeze you for the full value with phone calls and fishing for a default judgment.

The IRS sends you mail. When they do call them, talk to them, make a deal - they are open to dealing. They aren't a collection agency, the employees aren't on commission, and they aren't trying to lock anyone in jail or seize anyone's house.

-Winged Monkey

That's been my experience on both the state and federal levels; they're not ogres.
Old 11 October 2016, 02:15 PM

I've made a couple of minor mistakes on returns that changed my refund amount (reduced in one case, increased in another). I once asked for, and received, a payment plan for what I owed. I've filed a 1040X amended return once or twice. There have been several other weird things with my taxes over the years.* And in every case, the IRS has been very professional and easy to work with. For the payment plan, they didn't even mandate an amount: they asked me how much I wanted to pay per month (I assume if I'd offered something ridiculous there would have been a counteroffer).

*The worst being the year I had to write and ask for an extension because our accountant had fled prosecution and we temporarily lacked access to some of our records.
Old 11 October 2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
For the payment plan, they didn't even mandate an amount: they asked me how much I wanted to pay per month (I assume if I'd offered something ridiculous there would have been a counteroffer).
You were probably paying interest on the amount, not a "penalty" per say.

My typo mistake of late cost me a bit of interest but no penalty.

OY
Old 11 October 2016, 02:52 PM

No, no penalties. They asked what amount I wanted to pay per month, then told me how many months it would take to pay off the amount plus interest.